Rear Muffler Removal (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I have searched. That is why I am starting this thread with a clear and searchable title that gets right to the point.

I know that many of you have hacked off the second, rear muffler next to our stock spare location. See photo for reference, if you need.

I would like to see a whole bunch of information about this muffler and how to deal with it. Like many of you, my custom rear bumper (no bumper) makes this thing the low hanging spot. Before smacking it around on the trails, I would like to just get rid of it. What do you guys think?

Does it make the LC louder? (a negative to me)
---how much louder?

Will it still pass Colorado Emissions Testing?
---anyone dealt with that?

Should I extend the pipe out from under the rig if I remove this?
---why should I?

What else can be said?

IMG_20110123_132243.jpg

Yes, I have searched. That is why I am starting this thread with a clear and searchable title that gets right to the point.

I know that many of you have hacked off the second, rear muffler next to our stock spare location. See photo for reference, if you need.

I would like to see a whole bunch of information about this muffler and how to deal with it. Like many of you, my custom rear bumper (no bumper) makes this thing the low hanging spot. Before smacking it around on the trails, I would like to just get rid of it. What do you guys think?

Does it make the LC louder? (a negative to me)
---how much louder?

Will it still pass Colorado Emissions Testing?
---anyone dealt with that?

Should I extend the pipe out from under the rig if I remove this?
---why should I?

What else can be said?
]

Louder? Only on cold starts outside, inside, you can't really tell, it does give teh V8 a little tone on take off outside.
E
missions? There is no sensors back there, removing it has not caused any lights, or issues 30K down the road for me.

Extend it? I have yet to see a problem, sure, exhaust can "pool" under there on a hot summer day with no breeze, I don't smell it, nor can I think of a issue. I have let my 100 idle for 45 minutes on a 110* day with not a hint of breeze, door open and I was fine. I don't think there is enough to worry about. Someone will argue this point against me before dinner though. I'm sure known to the state of California opening the door with a vehicle running will give you cancer. Just like touching my plastic keyboard gives me cancer...

Other things to be said? I smashed mine on a rock, pinched the exhaust and had to drive back with a resonator rubbing on the frame, making a loud hissing sound and causing a LOT of backpressure... If you can hear the engine over the sound of the mud, you will know what yours sounds like

Exhaust Note on Muddy Climb

I have no regrets...

Last edited:
It is just a resonater as far as I know...so not a muffler...just helps with noise a little. Mine is coming off when I go to a magnaflow muffler and will re-bend tail pipe to go up into wheel well and then down for better exhaust trail clearance before exit. Should not affect emissions at all.

Last edited:
Cut mine off a couple of years ago. No noticeable sound difference. I didn't see a need to reroute and replace with something shinier.

I had to delete the big muffler since it was rattling due to rust. Very audible from inside the truck but I love it. From a regular take off sorta sound like a diesel, from what I've been told. I still have my resonator in place.

short clip
LC No-muffler

I'm planning on doing headers and a complete custom exhaust eventually. The resonator (as mentioned, not a muffler) will be one of the first things to go when I do the magnaflow and new piping this year...not so much for increasing noise, more for trail clearence.

Personally I'm not opposed to getting a little more rumble out of the V8, but removing the resonator won't increase the sound levels by any discernable amount. Hence my reason for removing it and adding the magnaflow.

I guess that's why it didn't come up in a search.

This quote from you in the other thread is what has me worried:

"I pulled the resonator off my 80 and hated it. The constant drone at 75 was unbearable."

I removed my intake silencer on my 4runner and the next trip we took the wife kept yelling at me for "gassing it" and driving like a teenager...uh... I didn't change my driving habit, but at high RPM is "sounded" like I did, so the wife was on my case the whole trip...even with my attempted explanation.

With that I just un-did the mod and put the silencer back in the intake, no biggie. That is not something easily done once you hack through the exhaust pipe though. This is why I want as many opinions as possible before I decide.

Thanks to all that responded so far!

With that I just un-did the mod and put the silencer back in the intake, no biggie. That is not something easily done once you hack through the exhaust pipe though.

You don't have to cut it off. It is held on with hangers and connected with a clamp which makes it easily removable... and just as easily put back on. I removed mine once to do the shocks, which really isn't necessary, but I got tired of doing Yoga under my truck. So just get some pipe to hang in it's place and you'll be good to go. If you (or :princess:) dislike it just slap the resonator back on.

And my vote is yes you should add pipe back in to run it out from under the rig. I like TMs response to this... "Unless you like sleepy driving and fires." Of course you may not experience any problems right away but all it takes is a little leak in the floor pan and you put yourself and family at risk.

Last edited:
You don't have to cut it off. It is held on with hangers and connected with a clamp which makes it easily removable... and just as easily put back on. I removed mine once to do the shocks, which really isn't necessary, but I got tired of doing Yoga under my truck. So just get some pipe to hang in it's place and you'll be good to go. If you (or :princess:) dislike it just slap the resonator back on.

And my vote is yes you should add pipe back in to run it out from under the rig. I like TMs response to this... "Unless you like sleepy driving and fires." Of course you may not experience any problems right away but all it takes is a little leak in the floor pan and you put yourself and family at risk.

Huh...I didn't notice that it was mechanically removable. I'm going to feel pretty stupid if I look under there and that's the case. Oh well, I guess that's why I posted the question.

Huh...I didn't notice that it was mechanically removable. I'm going to feel pretty stupid if I look under there and that's the case. Oh well, I guess that's why I posted the question.

I'm guessing you looked back by the resonator... look close to the outlet of the muffler under the second row seats. All the tubing that goes over the axle comes off with the resonator. Both my 2000 (RIP) and my 2003 were designed this way... so my guess is it's not just my truck. :hillbilly: Oh and the hangers for the resonator are connected with rubber that just slide right off.

I removed mine (on some rocks at tellico :D) and didn't replace it. I learned a hard lesson though. I had put a simple 4" extension pipe in it's place that pointed downward... right at the rear diff lock motor and ended up melting the plug and the wiring. :bang: Definitely take that into account when you route pipe. I ended up routing some pipe up and over the axle... No noticable change in sound at all.

well as i posted on here before on my exhaust pics thread ages ago, i couldnt hear that i had a V8. Yes my Oz spec 2005 V8 is different to yours somewhat (steering wheel is on the correct side for one :flipoff2: and a 5 speed manual V8) but seriously i drove it in an underground carpark with all the windows down and floored it...nope....i could just tell it was a V8.

Anyway as usual YMMV...and yes i've been slack in getting a proper video of it up on YouTube and shared here.
Looks like i'm gonna be changing jobs yet again and going thru all that. Been doing that for 18 months, so watching the $$$ even tho my suspension is f'ed.

But if you remember i posted some iPhone recorded noises of it here.
enjoy
peter

actually just on that. In the 1980s/1990s a lot of the guys "hotting up" their car cars here used to get the exhausts dumped just behind the rear wheels.

In the Oz V8 LC100 all the exhaust places say "we cant do a true dual exhaust due to the auxillary fuel tank" that we have down here.
If you REALLY want a dual exhaust they go into a four inch collector to get around the aux tank and then out to the dual exhaust tips.

I've been researching LPG here and sent something to wildsmith on here about a tyroidal (speeling) LPG tank i saw advertised in the UK.

So i checked that out here in Oz. If you convert your LC100 (petrol/gasolene) to LPG you lose you aux fuel tank.

Then i put two and two together, well why should i lose my aux tank if i can remove my spare and use one of these tyrroidal tanks. Click on the picture on the right of the Ultra tank.

Whilst that should be something for another thread, the guy i spoke to at the tyroidal link told me where the aux tank was and the reason behind the dual exhaust issue. The aux tank is above the spare wheel apparently.
I need that confirmed, but the guy i spoke to said it was.

EDIT: They remove the aux tank typically because the cylinder they normally use needs to be mounted somewhere and they cant drill into a fuel tank.
As he was a LC 100 owner, he was open for me to visit him and explore options on that, whereas the bigger companies didnt want to know.

So back on track, why not dump the dual exahusts at the rear wheel mudflaps a la soooo soooo many HQ Monaros and other cars from that era that i've seen down here.
just curious
let fly!
cheers
peter

Last edited:
Before Cruise Moab last year I took mine to a muffler shop and had them install a flange on the back of my resonator, and bend up a straight pipe with flange for off road.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Then I drove to Moab with the resonator and removed it when I arrived. Notice the difference between the two. If I pinch the straight pipe it is substantially cheaper than replacing the factory resonator. I drove home to test whether I could put up with the drone, but didn't notice any (one of the advantages of a life of playing electric guitar and shooting?). I had intended to reinstall the resonator for street and remove for off road, but instead I've just kept the straight pipe on.
4.jpg
5.jpg

nice pic.
So while mine is loud, i still have that last "muffler/resonator"...
hehe
well i'm not losing it yet. It turns heads as it is!
peter

Awsome info, Darby! Thanks for the pics too. This has become a great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom