Rear lower link mounting solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i always seem to get caught up on the frame side bracket for my rear lower links when crawling. Is there a lower profile solution? A way to recess it into the frame? I did find a new bracket but don't think it'll provide any additional clearance. Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_8555.PNG

A couple different Folks here have made ramped skids/guards to cover that bracket. Have not seen anyone recess into frame. Slick sounding but now your making new links and redesigning susp geometry.

A couple different Folks here have made ramped skids/guards to cover that bracket. Have not seen anyone recess into frame. Slick sounding but now your making new links and redesigning susp geometry.
Anyone sell these skids on here? Haven't found anything

I hate those lower mounts. Anytime I've been hung up it's been on them.

I think some guys have just welded a piece of square tube on an angle between the frame and the link mount. You could also box them with plate to make a sort of ramp. Either solution should add rigidity.

Recessing them or welding to the inside of the frame rail would be great, but then you have geometry issues or custom links.

Here is the skid I will be building. I plan to cut out the plate and tubing this summer and weld it on. I was wheeling with a Jeep earlier this year who had a very similar set up and it worked great. I got snagged on my lower rear arm mounts and he just slid right over them. It's a simple design. He made the shape of the truss/skid that he wanted in cardboard then cut it out of 1/4" sheet metal. He then cut a piece of DOM .120 wall down it's length wide enough to slide the 1/4" plate down into the tubing. He then cut the tubing to match the angle of the plate. He then welded the tubing to the plate (not on the vehicle) and then welded the bracket to the frame and lower mount. Hopefully these redering make sense and don't confuse everyone even more.

I hate those lower mounts. Anytime I've been hung up it's been on them.

I think some guys have just welded a piece of square tube on an angle between the frame and the link mount. You could also box them with plate to make a sort of ramp. Either solution should add rigidity.

Recessing them or welding to the inside of the frame rail would be great, but then you have geometry issues or custom links.
I know. Every single time. So frustrating. One of mine is already smashed pretty good from having to use momentum

Here is the skid I will be building. I plan to cut out the plate and tubing this summer and weld it on. I was wheeling with a Jeep earlier this year who had a very similar set up and it worked great. I got snagged on my lower rear arm mounts and he just slid right over them. It's a simple design. He made the shape of the truss/skid that he wanted in cardboard then cut it out of 1/4" sheet metal. He then cut a piece of DOM .120 wall down it's length wide enough to slide the 1/4" plate down into the tubing. He then cut the tubing to match the angle of the plate. He then welded the tubing to the plate (not on the vehicle) and then welded the bracket to the frame and lower mount. Hopefully these redering make sense and don't confuse everyone even more.

How long until these are made and how much? I think I get what you are saying. One on each side of frame or just 1 on each rail?

A couple guys have made them for the 100 series. The design is easy because the mount is in line with the frame not so with an 80 its off set making a design a little more involved. Still on the fence if it would help and if its even needed for an 80.

Some example of what others have done

control-arm-slider-001-jpg.683017

image-405727996-jpg.683012

How long until these are made and how much? I think I get what you are saying. One on each side of frame or just 1 on each rail?
One mounted to each lower mount. The pic jcardona posted is a similar idea with square tubing. My design will be round tubing with a plate down the middle. Seems a bit stronger and a better option for sliding on rocks.

Here's my terrible photo shop skills of how/where my design will be mounted. Very similar idea.

Last edited:
One mounted to each lower mount. The pic jcardona posted is a similar idea with square tubing. My design will be round tubing with a plate down the middle. Seems a bit stronger and a better option for sliding on rocks.

Here's my terrible photo shop skills of how/where my design will be mounted. Very similar idea.
I'll take a pair if they are done soon. If not I may just go with that square idea there.

I'll take a pair if they are done soon. If not I may just go with that square idea there.
I don't plan to make them as a business. Just personal use. Once I get the exact size for the plate and the exact angles of the cuts for the tubing I will make a finalized CAD drawing. Anyone is welcome to that file and can take it in to any fab shop and have them make them.

True dat! Can also employee more suspension/body lift? Maybe upgrade your SPOTTTER?
also if you approach the obstacle at a higher speed it tends to get caught up less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom