Rear Landcruiser axle under a Toyota Sunrader (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to convert a 86 Toyota Sunrader to 4x4. Was wondering if I could stick the FZJ80 9.5" full floating rear axle under the truck or stay with the FF dual 8" axle? I've searched and no luck on the web. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD

The 80 series axle has a slightly off center diff, probably within reach of your driveshaft though. It will also be a lot of fab work to convert it from coils to leaf springs.

The 80 series axle has a slightly off center diff, probably within reach of your driveshaft though. It will also be a lot of fab work to convert it from coils to leaf springs.

Actually the work is pretty simple. Clean axle and weld perches

If the sunrader has the gas tank on the passenger side like most pickups did the you are probably going to have some clearance issues. If you are up for a little fab work you could cut up your existing FF and use the tubes, shafts and outers plus the LC 9.5 center section to build a super tough centered hybrid axle. I believe the 8" and the 9.5" both use the same 30 spline axles so the shafts should slide right in. I have read about people doing it and I think the I.d. of the LC tubes is almost exactly the same as the o.d. of the mini tubes. So you trim to the width you need slide the mini inside the LC, weld it up and gusset to your liking.

If the gas tank isn't an issue then new perches and maybe a CVon the drive shaft to help with the new side angle on it.

Honestly if the gas tank will clear, or any other tanks that are under there (water, sewer, etc) then it should be pretty straight forward. I am sure you have noticed, but the LC axle is a good bit wider, but I think the mini FF had some crazy wheel offset for the duals, so that may not be a big deal.

Last edited:
width of the axle might be the issue
post up the width of the present axle and we can look up which one will work the best.

I'm confused- what is it that you're trying to get from replacing the current axle with the 80 series axle, width?

The FF axle you have now is plenty strong for a 8", you just need to run LC FF hubs on it to convert to the regular Toyota six lug pattern. You will have to also convert the drum brakes as well, or upgrade to a disk brake option.

Edit: according to this, the width with 80 series hubs on that 8" FF should be 63 5/8", with custom brackets for the rear disk brake from the 80.

Why not just run a cab and chassis 14 bolt? It's the same width as your current 8" and alot easier to work with

The Sunrader that I got is an 85. Did not come with the FF 6 lug axle. Came with the 5 lug axle. FF 6 lug axle came 86-90's rv's. That's why I'm asking about the 9.5 and using 2 FZJ 16" rims with E rated tires.

Why not just run a cab and chassis 14 bolt? It's the same width as your current 8" and alot easier to work with

Trying to stay true Toyota. Worst case, I might just do that.

I'm confused- what is it that you're trying to get from replacing the current axle with the 80 series axle, width?

The FF axle you have now is plenty strong for a 8", you just need to run LC FF hubs on it to convert to the regular Toyota six lug pattern. You will have to also convert the drum brakes as well, or upgrade to a disk brake option.

Edit: according to this, the width with 80 series hubs on that 8" FF should be 63 5/8", with custom brackets for the rear disk brake from the 80.

I'm actually subscribed to that topic.

Trying to stay true Toyota. Worst case, I might just do that.

Your going to save a lot of headaches by using the 14 bolt.

Convince yourself by looking at the heritage:

The Land Cruiser axle is a redesign of the Eaton 12 Bolt.

The Eaton HO72 is a larger heavy duty version of the Eaton 12 Bolt

The 14 Bolt is the newer version of the HO72.

If you want an axle which looks like a cruiser axle, the dually HO72 is 63" wide, and has a drop out 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom