Rear jump seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for pictures of what the rear jump seats look like for a 68 fj40. I found a guy that has 2 complete sets but the framework is completely different On both of them. I don’t want to make a mistake and buy the wrong one. Thank you

They should be the length of the wheel well. The short seat came on later model 40's that had roll bars, the early trucks no roll bars so the seat frames were longer. Here are what the seats in my '69 look like:

IMG_0015.JPEG
IMG_0016.JPEG

Oh, thank u very much. I think what’s going on with mine then, is someone has added a roll bar; doesn’t look factory so I’d proba have to get the short seats and hope they go in between my roll bar or take my roll bar out and get the long seats. Thank u very much for taking the time to answer. Appreciated

You should probably post pics of your roll bar, because 68's didn't have one. There's a good chance yours is aftermarket, and any oem seats might not fit.

Your jump seats would have two bolts at each mounting point. Two locations on the top of the tub. Then another below each of top locations. Finally one at the back of wheel well just before the drop off to the floor. Ten bolts total for each seat. Believe it was around 7/69 that changed to a single bolt at each location. Around 1964 the fixed at the top of the tub added. Prior to that only the three wheel well locations were used. Years ago Man-A-Fre sold a kit to space the jump seats in when a roll bar was added. Back 1974 bought a Smittybuilt round and seat spacer kit from for my 68 FJ40. There was another kit used for later single bolt style jump seats that spaced the front edge out further which kept the arm rest over the the wheel well. Otherwise the spot where the mount for the arm rest was extended past the wheel well. Had that in my 68 until 1983 when I added 74 bucket seats and roll bar from a 79. This gave me three point seat belts in the front. $100 for the seat and $100 for the roll bar with seat belts. Believe the 76 jump seats were $40. This use to be a cheap hobby.

We installed a later model OEM roll bar in our 1970 and kept the long jump seats. If I recall correctly, we used the brackets from SOR to mount to the side of the tub. The brackets have the effect of pushing the jump seats inwards about 2" to allow for the roll bar. The bottom stops no longer rest on the fender well, so we had to improvise with support brackets.

IMG_2581.JPEG

Yea. Thank u very much. I’m sure now, after looking, that the roll bar that is in there , is custom made. Maybe the best course of action is to remove it and get the right seats. Thank u all for great info. Appreciated

We installed a later model OEM roll bar in our 1970 and kept the long jump seats. If I recall correctly, we used the brackets from SOR to mount to the side of the tub. The brackets have the effect of pushing the jump seats inwards about 2" to allow for the roll bar. The bottom stops no longer rest on the fender well, so we had to improvise with support brackets.

View attachment 2906303

Are the spacers U shaped and the same size? Bought a couple of parts cruisers in 1995. Believe that is where I got second set of spacers with the longer spacers for the front. The earlier I bought in 1974 had eight spacers for bought brackets even though one would have probably worked.

Yea. Thank u very much. I’m sure now, after looking, that the roll bar that is in there , is custom made. Maybe the best course of action is to remove it and get the right seats. Thank u all for great info. Appreciated

Custom roll bar not sure how you would know what the right seats are. The Smittlybuilt roll bar was made so the vertical bars were between the fixed nuts on the top of the tub. See where the vertical bar and and width between bars. Shorter style may be the way to.go.

It all depends on how stk you want your 40. Like I mentioned, early models didn't have a roll bar. The stk one is not necessarily the safest. Your aftermarket maybe better. We all like pics.

It all depends on how stk you want your 40. Like I mentioned, early models didn't have a roll bar. The stk one is not necessarily the safest. Your aftermarket maybe better. We all like pics.
I’ll try to get some posted. Not real great with technology

Here's a pic of my 69 setup. PO claimed this is a dealer installed rollbar with the wide jump seats. His buddy was the original owner.. The dealer must have sawn the arm rests off to make the rollbar fit, but its one of the few setups that works with the wide jumpseats. With all the dealer paperwork was included the install instructions from the 60's.

i-SnrBHNH-M.jpg

I reupholstered the seats last summer. Still trying to decide if I'll put the rollbar back in.

i-gvM6xRf-M.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom