Rear fog light pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
For those curious about how the rear fog light looks when illuminated, here are several pics I grabbed today. There is a reason these exist, when the weather is bad and you and want to be seen...

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

@bjowett - Did you add that light? If so, why only on the left-hand side? I am curious.

EDIT: Oh, and does it come on with the brake lights or is it switched with the fog lights? here I am amazed at how many people run their fog lights continuously!

This is the OEM factory foglight (well not quite, more shortly), they are permitted for use in North America, and required in many other parts of the world, notably Europe. The driver's side is the one to be lit. Though many people will run both.

The rear fog is switched separately from all other lights, it does not operate with the brake lights. What you see above are the tail lights only, no brake lights are on.

I have to wire a proper switch, this can be done by replacing the left control stalk on the column with a unit that has the switch, or a stand alone can be wired. There is a thread or two with the part numbers.

This is the stock 2009 "reflex light", as Toyota calls it when not fog light equipped. It is the fog light, but the hole for bulb is not there. It needs to be added.

Every euro car I have even owned has these. We have no fog here but very I use mine on the Audi in blizzard/white out conditions. I was thinking of adding these to our LX's also.

I grew up in Central CA, where the Tule fog is one of the worst areas of fog in the nation. Here in Boise, we see some, but nothing like it was there. With that said, I agree that it would be nice to add those to the LX for those occasions, and during heavy snow storms. We don't see heavy snow storms in town but get out of the Treasure Valley at all and they can be right dangerous.

Looking forward to how this is implemented. Is this a "kit" you're going to be offering? I can definitely see how it would be very effective in lousy weather, like we are having right now.

Yeah, super annoying when I see euro cars using them on clear days. Almost as irritating as the bro-dozer illegal LED light bars and headlights.

I am working in central cal Bakersfield and would like to do this for winter fog issues. Subscribed.

Ouch! Yeah maybe I'll just duct tape a maglight to the rear bumper instead... :hillbilly:

No need to spend. The existing light on the 2008 - 2011 can have the bulb and socket installed, the later years will need to be inspected. The bulb, socket, and connector can be purchased new for around $15. Run your own harness, use a switch on the dash, buy the stalk for $100, or find it in the junkyard for cheap.

No need to spend. The existing light on the 2008 - 2011 can have the bulb and socket installed, the later years will need to be inspected. The bulb, socket, and connector can be purchased new for around $15. Run your own harness, use a switch on the dash, buy the stalk for $100, or find it in the junkyard for cheap.

Looking at my '13 reflectors, all you'd need is a holesaw, a socket to JB Weld (or whatever).

No adhesives required, we can get full on sealed and seated just as if the factory did it. On the 08 - 11, the hole with pattern for the bulb socket tabs can be traced and cut out with a small Dremel bit. The small stops that limit rotation and lock the socket into place are inside there, even. The reflector is chrome plated. Like most lights, the bulb does need to be positioned properly. It is the fog light minus the hole.

Here is the quick rough in that I performed on a broken light to find out if it would work. The socket was measured for the appropriate center hole diameter, which was then drilled. The position of the sockets keyed tabs was determined and traced onto the housing by partially inserting the socket and spraying a light mist of paint at it from behind.... it left a perfect outline to cut Despite the sloppy-ish work on the trial piece, the socket inserts and clicks into place just as if it was born that way.

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

So that is the "bulb socket" in the parts list above? I might have some sockets in my parts pile used in the mini-truck front turn signals, I'll have to check to see if they fit just for the heck of it.

Just took a look under my bumper, that lamp housing looks very easy to pull out. There's no factory wiring there though.

Has anyone gotten the rear fogs up and running? Any idea if the indicator switch (84140-30311) is plug and play or does it need to be rigged up?

I did this back in the day with my 4Runner. Have been wanting to do it with the LX as well. Would love this for two reasons, fog, but also when camping to have more rear illumination.

Anyone have a link to the rear socket/bulb? I forget what socket type that is.

A cheap way instead of replacing the turnstalk is to use a generic toyota switch to fit in one of the blanks. Not as cool, but surely the price is right. DC12V Rear Fog light Push Switch 4 Wire Button For Toyota Camry Prius Corolla | eBay

I did a simple solution by replacing factory set with China made set from Ebay. They are wired to taillights and come on with headlights. No separate switch for them. Total cost +/-$80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom