Rear Disk brake discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Elbert,
I'll spare you the details of my conversion since the parts are probly not the same, but I did a disc brake conversion on one of my pickups a few years ago. In the end, here's what I ran into: The rear calipers required LOTS more fluid to actuate, so I had to upgrade the master cylider to a much larger bore (15/16" from a Jap-spec 4Runner in my case). Then the stock booster wasn't strong enough to assist the larger-bore MC so I had to upgrade that to a dual-diaphragm booster off a T100. There were certainly other small things too, but those are the big things to know before you jump into changing drums to calipers. Maybe the 60's MC's are big enough already though; that I don't know.

Previously I changed the front calipers to the 4runner versions, and I swapped the mc over to one from a T100 truck. The booster is stock.

I realize that most likely there is no perfect solution and it may require additional modifications beyond just the physical setup at the rear axle.

Just to clarify. You don't have to drill any holes in the case just put some sealant on the bolts. Directions were somewhat vague. I just installed everything except the cable (still working on that). This pic pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

image-1657689425.jpg

image-3684041961.jpg

I believe the guys who make the above disk brake product might help themselves with some better illustrations, directions, pictures. I've been on the sidelines as far as mods go lately but maybe the above item has merit. I guess we will see soon. Of course it would need to stand up to mud and whatever else is in the mix as far as potential external forces that could damage it.

i used the trail tough kit on my 86 4runner,it uses 79-85 front 4x4 rotors and calipers. have to remove the wheel bearing and backing plate from the axle and install the parts from the kit. you will need a press and installation instructions are on the trail tough website.

278579960_3164870687091232_4154792442258742227_n.jpg

Have you ever had problems catching those calipers on rocks/wood on the trails? They seem to be in a precarious spot.

We’ve mounted calipers on top of the rotor with the TG brackets but bleeding them fully seems to be problematic.

Have you ever had problems catching those calipers on rocks/wood on the trails? They seem to be in a precarious spot.

We’ve mounted calipers on top of the rotor with the TG brackets but bleeding them fully seems to be problematic.
Dont know yet but i can always move it back up top since its been bled already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom