Rear Diff Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would suspect that you could get all three for that rear end. Since it's available I'd suggest the cable. It's the most "low" tech and therefore would offer less to worry about. I'd probably go ARB air next.

TB

The factory options were the LSD (not really a locking diff) and the cable locker. Of course if you are installing it yourself there are many more options, the factory electric locker, ARB, Detroit, LockRite, Aussie Locker, etc. The topic has been discussed to death on the other forums on this board.

I prefer cable lockers myself exactly for the reasons TB mentioned.

Dave

My recomendation .. Factory Cable if you can get it .. after that all depends of your budget and type of terrain ( off road ) that you wanna do.

ReinholdReinhold said:
What is available for my 89 BJ73? What would you guys recommend electric, cable or air?

Cable lockers are out there but they are harder to find but work the best (IMO) however will cost the most.

E-lockers are next in line not as hard to find but will cost as much as cable lockers.

You have to ask yourself do you just want some lockers on your 73 or do you want something as close to factory as possible. if you just want lockers I would suggest going with ARB air lockers or if you want cheaper than maybe a aussie locker.

Here is what I spent for my 70 ragtop verses what I could have spent, keep in mind I went with front/rear cable lockers because I wanted genuine toyota.

With the Front and rear Cable locker from a 74 series, including the shifters and cables it cost me slightly over 4k that includes the shipping from Can to USA.

Axles required new bearings and seals after a short time. (my facatory axles had much less miles on them but bearings and seals are not that big of a deal).

On the hand I could have gone with ARB 24 volt compressor and front and rear lockers for under 2k. Slightly more work to install but would have had my original axles.

Oh a few things that I got for my 4k, I got a FF rear axle and also have a complete set of spare front and rear axles including brakes and hubs.

If you went with e-lockers go with the new axles as well, I lot less time and effort than modifying your housing other stuff needed.

In the end, ARB would have been cheaper cash wise but factory cable lockers, and spare parts were worth it to me.

Hope this helps with some insight.

Cheers,

Michael

is there much of a differnce in "performance/build quality" between lockright and aussie lockers, they look like the same thing to me.

cheers

way to go GB and revive a year old thread :)

The aussie locker guy is a member on here, maybe he will see this... if not PM him to see this thread. He is a vendor.

is there much of a differnce in "performance/build quality" between lockright and aussie lockers, they look like the same thing to me.

cheers

the same strength and performance...

Aussie Locker

way to go GB and revive a year old thread :)

The aussie locker guy is a member on here, maybe he will see this... if not PM him to see this thread. He is a vendor.

We dont want to commercialize a thread so we sent a PM to the individual with the questions.

maybe start a new thread with the installation proceedure into a 70 series. this will be great advertising and will be informative as well...

We dont want to commercialize a thread so we sent a PM to the individual with the questions.

thanks for the pm.

i'm going with a aussie locker. because of recommendations from others and good public relations from aussie locker. oh and good value ;)

:beer:

If you want selectable lockers and have to pay $4k for used OEM then my choice would be new ARB air lockers .
I got quoted $3300AUD drive in, drive out;)

Arb makes a very good product and all in all not bad value considering what you are getting, look at the price of a new vehicle with lockers, so the cost of arb lockers is good.

But for me the Aussie locker is simpler, no air lines, no levers or switches the Aussie locker does its own thing almost. I have also been told it has good winter road manners for the respectful driver, in oz where winter roads are not an issue, I would think the Aussie locker would work very well with an LSD in the front.

It’s all down to your personal needs and budget.

2xcents

cheers

and where you drive, here there is lots of problems with ARB due to the air lines freezing up...

and where you drive, here there is lots of problems with ARB due to the air lines freezing up...

Do you mean condensation freezes and forms an ice plug?
To be honest,I wish ARB had used cables instead of air.

I wouldnt have much choice here .The used factory lockers are almost non existant in oz.
Ive only seen one set for a 75 for sale and it had no cables and trying to find the cables is just impossible

If you want selectable lockers and have to pay $4k for used OEM then my choice would be new ARB air lockers .
I got quoted $3300AUD drive in, drive out;)

As tlcruiserman has pointed out, there are a few considerations that one needs to make before a blanket statement...

I wouldnt have much choice here .The used factory lockers are almost non existant in oz. Ive only seen one set for a 75 for sale and it had no cables and trying to find the cables is just impossible

Yes, and consider one has to buy an entire running vehicle to get them (or from someone who has bought the vehicle). Anything with cable lockers has a higher base price...and BJ74/HJ61's with lockers are getting more rare.

Also consider supply and demand, overhead, recieving complete axles (drums to drums-disc to disc, including 3rds, cables, and levers, and most time this also means an upgrade to FF rear. There are more things to consider too.

However, yes...when sets become available they are pricey...on all sides.

I've got auzzies front and rear on Poo. Service by Bill recently was above and beyond (spring issues from origional sets) and I am happy with the lockers.

The cable lockers in the BJ74 are the s***e though...:D (Cept I don't like the location of the levers at all!)

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom