Double DIN, Dual Camera Stereo Recommendation in 2023? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title says it all. I'm seeking advice for a dual camera, double DIN stereo to install in my 1996 TLC. I'd rather install something with a name I trust than a super cheapo knock off that will crap out in a year or two.

Thanks in advance.

I know you said no cheap guys but I did want to give this option since I have first hand experience with it.

We installed this PLZ MP-902 in my buddies pathfinder, with Skar audio speakers (utilizing the factory amplifier) and this sub: Rockville RWS10CA Slim 1000 Watt 10" Amplified Powered Car Subwoofer

And from my perspective as an audiophile, I was blown away at how well I was able to tune it and how it ultimately sounded. The head unit responds SUPER FAST to your touch and has above-average EQ control for a head unit at this price point. You won't be fooled into thinking that it's a $1,000 head unit but for 98% of people I'd say it knocks it out of the park, it also has a volume knob which I dearly miss every time I touch my Kenwood. The cheap head units have come a long way from where they were 5 years ago, so they are definitely worth considering. That sub is also amazing for the cost, I was so impressed that I bought one for my 1989 BMW e30 touring, it slaps.

Now that being said, if you are dead set on having a high-end name brand HU then it really depends on what you want, because the sky is the limit, So ask yourself if you need:
  1. Stand-alone Navigation
  2. Apple Car Play / Android Auto
    • Wired or Wireless
  3. Front Facing USB or Mini USB ports
  4. RCSA Preamp outputs & RCA Sub outputs.
  5. SiriusXM radio tuner
  6. Multiple camera inputs, some have up to 3 now (I have two cameras tied into my HU, one for backing up, and the other is a forward-facing camera aimed at my front passenger tire for rock crawling which I use a lot)
  7. Built-in amplifier (available on the high-end units, you'll pay more and it's a meh power rating usually)
  8. Volume Knob, is it important to you (the answer should be yes)
  9. Capacitive touch vs resistive touch
    • Capacitive is like your iPhone, won't work with gloves usually but otherwise is very nice and usually has the added benefit of a sharper display
    • Resistive is when you actually have to push the screen in to make a selection, this will work with gloves and usually, the display looks a bit less defined/sharp
if you are truly an audiophile and want the best of everything then you really can't go wrong with any of the top-tier players, I personally like the UI & EQ options of the Kenwoods, but have had good experiences with Alpine as well.

what is your budget?

Sony.........

1683065839386.png

I have the below one (Sony xav-ax205db) in my 80 series and it fills the double din space perfectly just like the original double din radio, 200w, runs 3 cameras, apple car play, DAB+, CD / DVD player, SUB etc....

1683081965874.png

Last edited:
personally never been impressed with Sonys eq. That was 8 years ago, maybe they’ve gotten better but back then I felt the sound it put out was lack luster. Its actually been the only brand that I've swapped out because of how disappointed I was, I moved into an Alpine which was in a different league then ultimately my Kenwood.

Last edited:
Sony XAV-AX8000 and BOYO VISION VTK601HD in the rear bumper, that's what I have. I have had that Sony head unit since 2020 and this is the 3rd car it has been in. Its a single din and only one video input but you could get an input camera switch for multiple inputs.

img_4490-jpg.3260631
img_4488-jpg.3260477

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't consider myself an audiophile, and I commented about avoiding the cheapest option mostly because I want it to last rather than because I have a keen ear. I'll check those options out. Thanks so much.

I know you said no cheap guys but I did want to give this option since I have first hand experience with it.

We installed this PLZ MP-902 in my buddies pathfinder, with Skar audio speakers (utilizing the factory amplifier) and this sub: Rockville RWS10CA Slim 1000 Watt 10" Amplified Powered Car Subwoofer

And from my perspective as an audiophile, I was blown away at how well I was able to tune it and how it ultimately sounded. The head unit responds SUPER FAST to your touch and has above-average EQ control for a head unit at this price point. You won't be fooled into thinking that it's a $1,000 head unit but for 98% of people I'd say it knocks it out of the park, it also has a volume knob which I dearly miss every time I touch my Kenwood. The cheap head units have come a long way from where they were 5 years ago, so they are definitely worth considering. That sub is also amazing for the cost, I was so impressed that I bought one for my 1989 BMW e30 touring, it slaps.

Now that being said, if you are dead set on having a high-end name brand HU then it really depends on what you want, because the sky is the limit, So ask yourself if you need:
  1. Stand-alone Navigation
  2. Apple Car Play / Android Auto
    • Wired or Wireless
  3. Front Facing USB or Mini USB ports
  4. RCSA Preamp outputs & RCA Sub outputs.
  5. SiriusXM radio tuner
  6. Multiple camera inputs, some have up to 3 now (I have two cameras tied into my HU, one for backing up, and the other is a forward-facing camera aimed at my front passenger tire for rock crawling which I use a lot)
  7. Built-in amplifier (available on the high-end units, you'll pay more and it's a meh power rating usually)
  8. Volume Knob, is it important to you (the answer should be yes)
  9. Capacitive touch vs resistive touch
    • Capacitive is like your iPhone, won't work with gloves usually but otherwise is very nice and usually has the added benefit of a sharper display
    • Resistive is when you actually have to push the screen in to make a selection, this will work with gloves and usually, the display looks a bit less defined/sharp
if you are truly an audiophile and want the best of everything then you really can't go wrong with any of the top-tier players, I personally like the UI & EQ options of the Kenwoods, but have had good experiences with Alpine as well.

what is your budget?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess my budget is about $300. I'm not an audiophile and I mostly listen to music with a lot of bad words and heavy bass, so I don't feel like I need the best audio. Ha. I just want something that will last and not fall apart in a year or two. I also like the physical volume button. Thanks again.

I put a Sony Xav-ax200 in my 80 and loved it so much I put one in my T100. There are several versions of the Xav line and the ones with the volume knobs look “correctish” in a 90’s Toyota dash.

They’re not available new anymore but you can still find the 200, and others without an cd player, occasionally on the used market in excellent condition.

I put a BOSS BCP62-RC in my 95, $205 on amazon while being one of the name brands and coming with a backup camera. It's got a volume knob, wired carplay, 2 camera inputs, I think decent audio with 11 band EQ, and just plug N play with the metra toyota harness kit that doesn't use the factory amp. You do have to unplug the factory amp behind the glovebox, and I also unplugged the factory sub amp in the back because my subwoofer is just totally destroyed.

The best part, no dash cutting and I was able to simply drill some holes and flatten the little alignment tabs in my factory brackets for a rock solid (and easy) mounting. For a slightly more flush installation, get some 1/8" or 3mm spacers for M5 screws to put behind the bracket, that will make sure the radio is all the way up against the back of the dash piece.

Only con is the blue button lights are not changeable. They have them changeable on other nearly-identical radios, so it's a little frustrating that this one doesn't have that, but maybe they have a similar model that does.

I also put in pioneer TS-G1620F 6.5" speakers in the front doors, you should use a 1/4" spacer, #14 flathead home depot 1.25" wood screws to best match the factory screws, and I had to drill out the holes in the speaker a little bit to fit the big screws. I left the factory grill covers on for the OEM look, the speakers install directly to the door's sheetmetal, behind the door card. So you don't have to touch anything there.
I'm not so sure on the speakers, they're night and day better than stock of course but they seem to have a strong top end from the tweeter that makes a couple songs with very high pitch vocals almost painfully loud at the highest pitches. I only notice it on like 2 or 3 songs though, and never on the radio, only from Spotify. Even the same song on the radio sounds great, it's just that Spotify has the full frequency range so it shows up then.

The 11 band EQ doesn't have enough separation to fix that unfortunately, it's maybe an 18khz+ only issue and you lose the good highs when you turn down it's highest frequency adjuster.

Maybe find some speakers without tweeters and then get some mid-high speakers to replace the ones in the dash and put them in series with the door speakers to match the head unit's 4-8 ohm range.

Edit: Regular BCP62 is on sale for $165 right now, I'm sure amazon has plenty of good backup cameras that aren't $40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom