Rear bumper wings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided it was time to start building my rear bumper wings. This is going to be a kinda slow process and I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I make progress. Let me know what you guys think.
B6F1553A-B61C-44A9-8CD8-276FCB555C84.jpeg
This was the CAD version. Cardboard aided design.

A4D5C696-3665-4AFF-A300-C84FA13D5E97.jpeg

It’s not sitting perfectly in its final resting place in these pics. The open spot I’ll be filled as soon as I figure out my tire swing out configuration. I know it looks a little droopy in these pics but the bolts aren’t fully tightened. It was 3am when I took this

The main structural components are 3/8 6061 T6 aluminum. The plating is 1/4”. Using a Hobart handler 190 with a spool gun. Those top plate are where the spindle will reside and I will add additional structure there.

I’m curious as to your use of AL.

Not a hater, but steel esp for a wing/spindle/arm seems odd.

Are you going to lathe/CNC some AL spindles to weld into the AL in use - or do you know of some already?

I’m really not a hater....I’ve posted my Miller 350 with a push-pull squirter & my Wooldridge boat is a AL welded tub with a LS3. I get using popcans, 100%.

.....But I‘d love to know if AL spindles are making an appearance, I’ve never heard of them in our sizes.

I’m curious as to your use of AL.

Not a hater, but steel esp for a wing/spindle/arm seems odd.

Are you going to lathe/CNC some AL spindles to weld into the AL in use - or do you know of some already?

I’m really not a hater....I’ve posted my Miller 350 with a push-pull squirter & my Wooldridge boat is a AL welded tub with a LS3. I get using popcans, 100%.

.....But I‘d love to know if AL spindles are making an appearance, I’ve never heard of them in our sizes.

I used aluminum for the simple fact that it is easy to cut, fit, weld and so on as I do not have torches or a plasma cutter. I plan to use a 1 1/4” bolt on trailer spindle. I am having thoughts now of building an aluminum hinge and not using a spindle at all. Decisions decisions.

Got a little more done. I was struggling with a way to add a steel spindle to the aluminum structure. I had a few ideas that would’ve worked but would have been labor intensive. I decided to use a 1 1/4” galvanized bolt for the “spindle”. The two top nuts are sleeves in an aluminum tube which is then sleeved with a larger aluminum tube that the swingouts will weld to.
CDB16EB4-3FA8-4F06-8AA8-52259BE56614.jpeg
C468546B-F6EF-418D-9F0E-F9AABD97063B.jpeg

All of the holes you see in the outer sleeve were then plug welded and ground somewhat smooth I then drilled holes in the wing for the bolt to pass through ignore the messy work area
927458C4-2D08-4AEA-BE09-DCED12190D2B.jpeg

Got everything mounted up and started building the swingout arms. The left side will be tire carrier and hi lift and the rights side for a cooler or Jerry cans.
7AC962AB-A5E1-4103-B1ED-4B7EFFF0351C.jpeg
B0C79A0D-D6AE-43E3-82BE-3E841B314AA2.jpeg

Question for you guys about the toggle latch. I have ordered a 2000lb stainless toggle latch. I plan to attach it to the aluminum with stainless riv nuts. Do I need to attach the latch from the swing arm to the factory cross member or can I just attach the two swingarms together?
Edit: the two arms will rest on plates underneath and there will be a stop behind them. They will not be freely suspended as they are now.

Last edited:
I can't help you with the latch question, but I would add a plate that spans from the top of each wing all the way across to the other to tie them together. It would still be a bolt on affair, but would help prevent any flex. Flex is bad for latches, swing arms, and spindles.

I am thinking I will tie the two sides together but maybe underneath from the inside. We shall see.

There will be more plating added to the tire carrier and I think it will be much better. It’s definitely getting there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom