Rear bumper design/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

adventr

SILVER Star
Threads
Plans:

Dual Swingouts
Cooler/Fuel can Rack
Tire Carrier

Rear winch (Will be on next unit)

Pretty simple plans, but my overthinking the project has lead to something a little more than "simple".

Design:

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F4.jpg

F3.jpg

^^^ Bottle opener detail. :D

Fabrication:

First proto - Overall width of this prototype was a bit too narrow for my liking, since we are both still running fender flares. This one would be PERFECT for someone with a flare-less 80 series!

IMG_20120515_194618.jpg

IMG_20120515_194725.jpg

IMG_20120515_194714.jpg

IMG_20120515_200335.jpg

Tail lights showed up. These are made by Hella. I believe they are the same (or similar) to the ones used on the older Kaymar bumpers.

IMG_20120511_115818.jpg

2 E L O said:
Wow! Craftsmanship looks top notch.

Pretty tight on that LX cladding!

Yeah, that's the bumper that is going to be for flare-less 80s.

Thanks!

Sent from my C771 using IH8MUD

Bad. Truly bad. I have a flareless 80. How much?

Hey Tim! Please tell me God has answered my prayers and you are building these for the public? I just so happen to live in AR and would love to drive up to pick up my brand new bumper!!

In all seriousness, if you are going to end up selling these please put me in line whether it's first second third I don't care. Just the cost I'd save on shipping would be more than worth it.

BTW, I really like the design. I really like the beefiness to it. Bigger is always better.

Thanks in advance.

Nice. Love the TIG welds.

Impressive fab skills, great fit and welds. Looking forward to more. :popcorn:

I like the look but have to ask why the tire is on the right side instead of the left - I had always thought to put it behind the driver so that it give better visibility. Just wondered if thier was a reason.
Thanks

Looking nice! Are you using a stopper for the swing-outs? What is the thickness of the plate? What is the advantage of the way you're constructing the swing-out arms (looks like channel with gussets?) vs square tubing?

Well, if we decide to make a few (maybe 5 total?) they would be pretty expensive to say the least. On par with a Kaymar or Slee bumper.
Very high quality, and hand made using only the best materials/hardware:

Cold rolled P&O American steel
Fully TIG welded
Stainless hardware
Stainless gas struts made especially for this app by Suspa
Monster spindles - 4130 Chromo
CNC waterjet cut/formed pieces

I'm still working on the swingarm designs. The tire carrier will be fully adjustable when I'm done with it.

I like the look but have to ask why the tire is on the right side instead of the left - I had always thought to put it behind the driver so that it give better visibility. Just wondered if thier was a reason.
Thanks

Jerry cans are on the gas tank side so you can siphon the fuel without taking them out of the holder.

Looking nice! Are you using a stopper for the swing-outs? What is the thickness of the plate? What is the advantage of the way you're constructing the swing-out arms (looks like channel with gussets?) vs square tubing?

Good eye, Dave! I am using a low profile stopper for the swing-outs to keep them from hitting the tailgate. It happened to be supressed in the model when I pulled those renderings.

Material thickness is 90% 3/16" and 10% 1/8". Very beefy.

Advantage to the channel. Though the channel is stronger (when gusseted like that), the main reason I went with that is 100% CNC control over their cutting/forming.
This allows me to "tab" all of the pieces so that they fit together exactly the same each time, and doesn't require a jig for welding.

Last edited:
Hey Tim! Please tell me God has answered my prayers and you are building these for the public? I just so happen to live in AR and would love to drive up to pick up my brand new bumper!!

In all seriousness, if you are going to end up selling these please put me in line whether it's first second third I don't care. Just the cost I'd save on shipping would be more than worth it.

BTW, I really like the design. I really like the beefiness to it. Bigger is always better.

Thanks in advance.

Shoot me a PM and we'll discuss the options!

Thanks

Jerry cans are on the gas tank side so you can siphon the fuel without taking them out of the holder.

Exactly. That, and the weight of the spare will help offset the slight lean that all cruisers seem to have to the driver side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom