Rear brake lights won't turn off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting this as a potential fix-it after having gone through this myself.

On my way home after importing my HZJ73, I noticed my rear brake lights were on after stopping for food. Found a few pieces of what I thought were plastic in my footwell. Turns out what I found was the remains of a rubber pad that's supposed to be attached to the brake arm. It had shattered from age (and maybe some off-roading abuse).

Solution was:

Rubber pad part # - 90541-06008 (Description: Cushion)

Luckily the local toyota dealer had them in stock.

See the below pics for an untouched brake pedal and a depressed brake pedal. The black pad has a "nipple" that sort of locks into a circlular opening on the brake arm. The temporary solution was a trip to Home Depot for a pack of neoprene washers and pipe tape rated for high temps, wrapped around the brake arm where the pad is supposed to be. The pad appears to only serve as a stopper for the spring-loaded "tube" it touches, which if held up in it's place will keep the brake lights off. Jury-rigging the washer it the pad's place accomplished the same.

Installment of the new pad wasn't too difficult, just need to depress the brake pedal to create space, and squeeze the pad in it's place. I needed some extra grip to pull it full-lock in the opening.

Hope this helps anyone that runs into the issue.

Pics:

pad1.jpg
pad2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom