LJ78 parking brake options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The parking brake / hand brake on my LJ78 has always been rubbish, it will work great for a short time, but will then stop working even after replacing all the shoes and disc/drum.

So I have been looking at alternatives, and the two I can find are:
1. Fit a transmission brake - I don’t really like this as they are not as effective as a wheel brake.
2. ⁠fit different rear brake calipers that have a built in park brake - this is my preferred because it’s less brake to service.

Has anyone found something that fits straight on?

I rear a thread a while ago that said Toyota Avensis caliper will fit with a small about of work, and will also allow me to keep the original carrier so I can still use my standard pads, so after waiting a while I got a cheap set from eBay to see if the will work.

Today I got the chance to take a look as I needed a quick brake check for my MOT.

I will have to have new sliders made to make the caliper line up (not really a big issue) but annoyingly the caliper is not wide enough to take a new set of brake pads.

IMG_2847.jpeg

Hello,

The parking brake slips in old age.

It is necessary to inspect and repair the cable, brake shoes, springs and links as needed. It is easier than modifying.

If you have the FSM, you can do the job yourself. The search function in this forum is your friend.

Parts are available from Toyota.

Juan

Hello,

The parking brake slips in old age.

It is necessary to inspect and repair the cable, brake shoes, springs and links as needed. It is easier than modifying.

If you have the FSM, you can do the job yourself. The search function in this forum is your friend.

Parts are available from Toyota.

Juan
Thanks Juan,

The work to repair the factory park brake is no problem from me, I would just like to find a more reliable solution that requires less maintenance.

Thanks Ash

Hello,

The factory park brake is reliable. All it needs is a good overhaul.

There is no need to modify.

Juan

If you take the time to read the factory service manual for 70 or 80 series rear disc brake parking brake setup and repair procedures, and follow them to the letter, your parking brake will work very effectively.

It’s also very important to ensure the parking brake bell cranks and pivots move freely and are lubricated properly, and that the hand brake cable and the linkage free play in the drums (adjusted by the screws at the rear of the backing plates) as well as the shoe to drum clearance is set properly.

Then, follow the correct break in and bedding procedures and readjust the shoe clearance and cable tension after bedding/break in.

~John

If you take the time to read the factory service manual for 70 or 80 series rear disc brake parking brake setup and repair procedures, and follow them to the letter, your parking brake will work very effectively.

It’s also very important to ensure the parking brake bell cranks and pivots move freely and are lubricated properly, and that the hand brake cable and the linkage free play in the drums (adjusted by the screws at the rear of the backing plates) as well as the shoe to drum clearance is set properly.

Then, follow the correct break in and bedding procedures and readjust the shoe clearance and cable tension after bedding/break in.

~John
Hi thanks for the info, I think my original post was a bit misleading, I have no issues with getting it to work and when set up it works well, unfortunately the drum design holds the mud in so if I want to keep it working I have to take the wheels and discs off to clean them out every time I go off road (as it’s only a toy and not a daily that’s pretty much every time I use it)

I will keep working on a solution and will post up the info incase it helps someone else out in the future.

Hi thanks for the info, I think my original post was a bit misleading, I have no issues with getting it to work and when set up it works well, unfortunately the drum design holds the mud in so if I want to keep it working I have to take the wheels and discs off to clean them out every time I go off road (as it’s only a toy and not a daily that’s pretty much every time I use it)
Indeed, mud can be a huge problem with certain brake designs.

If you figure out a caliper with an electric park brake function or a mechanical function, I’d like to see it.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom