Rear Axle Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm goin sbc,sm465,np205 in the 60 next spring or asap ;)

but i needed to offset the axle on the drivers side.( thats how the 14 bolt was on the donor truck i pulled the engine and trans)

picked up a complete axle from todd in fort collins (thanx)

i've got the backing plates and brake componets off to swap them from side to side. i should be able to retain my e-brake by doing this.

do a little brake line fenagling, cut some notches in the housing so the ring gear can rotate. weld on some new perches and wrap bar brackets and i'm good to go.

just gotta get workin on the motor.....;)
DSC00537.JPG
DSC00538.JPG

Tapage said:
Wou dude .. big proyet .. ! ( I suppose to get big tires as well :D )

actually it doesnt seem like its gonna be that hard.
tuning my 60 into a tow rig

runnin35's on it now

thanx tap

so this gonna put the pinion in approx the right place then huh..

Interesting...

BTW, My 14 bolt is pretty much centered..

The LC motor is offset to the Drivers side....

Mace said:
so this gonna put the pinion in approx the right place then huh..

Interesting...

BTW, My 14 bolt is pretty much centered..

The LC motor is offset to the Drivers side....

pretty sure, when i pulled the 14 bolt out of the back, it was just offset to the driver side.
i figure if i do it this way, the d/s angle will be more tolerable.
and i should be able to keep my wrap bar where it is.

1. is that a 60's axle? could i do the same with my 40's axle because i'm prob gonna run the same setup
2. deleted dumb question
3. what spline output is on your sm465 - 10 coarse?
4. will you have to do anything to the front axle or is the pumpkin in the right place?

i thought the np205 was a centered rear output and a passenger side front output... i realize there was about a million variations to this t-case but just asking...

Last edited:
1. yep it is.. yes you could But I really do not know why he is doing it. A Ford 9" would be a better choice, as would the 14 bolt with 9" outers welded onto it..

2. @&@&@&@&ing dumb questions..

3. Depends on the 465. The 2WD models had a 10 spline output, the 4WD models had other outputs..

4. pumpkin is in the right place. 205's were DS or PS output..

God damnit, who told you it was okay to ask Questions... :flipoff2:

not to question the omnipotent one... but i thought the 10 spline came from 4wd applications....

i pulled this from treeroots right up:

For this conversion you need an SM465 with the 10-spline, 4-wheel drive, output shaft. GM produced this transmission from 1968-1991 with three different output shaft designs. I believe the 10-spline output is specifically 1968-1979. I chose the SM465 over the SM420 because it is newer, has a low enough first gear at 6.55, a reverse switch, and they seem to shift a lot smoother.

unless i'm wrong....

a ford 9" sounds like a good choice but i'm not smart enough to narrow one into to fit a cruiser.

Impotent one is more like it.

You could easily be right. I have not delved into the the 465 as much as I could have.

You are smart enough to narrow one. Or... GO buy a Ford Bronco 9" and not have to narrow it :flipoff2:

the axle out of a ‘66-‘77 Bronco is 58" while the cruiser one is 55" ... what would you do about the 3inches of axle? wouldn't that affect handling or something? seemy whacky mace...

go easy on me man... straight people have feelings to

Haha...I think someone of relation to me is making fun of Mace...

It must run in the famliy...

bandy rooster said:
the axle out of a ‘66-‘77 Bronco is 58" while the cruiser one is 55" ... what would you do about the 3inches of axle? wouldn't that affect handling or something? seemy whacky mace...

My 58" wide J60 rear axle does nothing adverse in relation to my front 55" J55 axle. You can barely tell there is any difference visually.

So the answer is to put a J60 axle upfront! :flipoff2:

QUOTE BANDY:: go easy on me man... straight people have feelings to

now thats funny, i dont care who you are...

did mace just get OWNED!!!

JASON, i'm using the 60 axle cause it was cheap and complete.
and i was a fool for letting the 14 bolt ff go.
AND, i know how to work on the toyotas...well.....sort of..;)

the 14 bolt was barely offset. this was to keep the axle shafts the same length. (ring gear in middle of axle, pinion offset slightly.)

sm465-np205 is def. centered rear pass front with 10 spline between them.

you could do a cruiser mini ifs rear hybrid, should be about the same width as a fj60 rear.

just a thought

:beer:

chet said:
the 14 bolt was barely offset. this was to keep the axle shafts the same length. (ring gear in middle of axle, pinion offset slightly.)

sm465-np205 is def. centered rear pass front with 10 spline between them.

great info chet, thanx!

i just may have to offset the motor a bit now ;)

it will be more inline this way i believe.

bustanutley said:
you could do a cruiser mini ifs rear hybrid, should be about the same width as a fj60 rear.

just a thought

:beer:

I thought IFS ( in this case IRS ) are more narrow

Tapage said:
I thought IFS ( in this case IRS ) are more narrow

Nope, IFS pickups (after 86) are 3" wider than their solid axle front counterparts (before 85) And fj40 and solid axle minis are the same width. fj60 axles are 3" wider than fj40. Actually an IFS rear will prolly be closer to the same width to an fj60 front than an fj60 rear. Fj60 rears are around .5" narrower.

and no it isn't IRS, that would mean independent rear suspension; we are talking about solid rear axles. Only IRS off the top of my hear Toyota truck is the mega cruiser

less hassle to go with the mini -truck axle and stengthen it a bit if your doing this conversion. ie - use the v6 third that just drops in, upgrade axles and a wrap bar is a must...(with an fj40) but i don't wanna hijack anymore then i already have....

good luck with the build man.... hope to see progress soon

bandy rooster said:
less hassle to go with the mini -truck axle and stengthen it a bit if your doing this conversion. ie - use the v6 third that just drops in, upgrade axles and a wrap bar is a must...(with an fj40) but i don't wanna hijack anymore then i already have....

good luck with the build man.... hope to see progress soon

right on!
same to you....:D

jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom