Rear axle locknut SST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well,

I do stock it. ::) I'm likely the only dealer in North America that does. If I had what you described, I would have 3 customer back-orders. :D At present, my backorder replenishes my normal stocking level.

ETA is late April

OK so maybe it won't save you a lot of time... but it'll definitely save you a lot of effort :D and frustration :D and bruised knuckles from the frankentool slipping out of your hands when you're trying to torque your bearings ::)

Rick,
Hee hee hee. Not his VERY last one as that's in his personal stash that a few local guys have access to. Wanna move to New Mexico? :D

-B-

Riley, I am going to booty fab one, I promise. Just need to find me a 3" pully wheel.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12513;start=msg115947#msg115947 date=1078527930]

Rick,
Hee hee hee. Not his VERY last one as that's in his personal stash that a few local guys have access to. Wanna move to New Mexico? :D

-B-
[/quote]

Don't do it Rick. Moving to NM would not be worth it based on the horrible neighbors you'd have. :flipoff2: :D

LOL, I just need to talk to Jim Phillips and have him make one up for me. :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12513;start=msg116107#msg116107 date=1078541040]
LOL, I just need to talk to Jim Phillips and have him make one up for me. :D
[/quote]

Do you have any idea what the shipping charge would be on a 25 lbs lock nut tool?

.... from the UK !

-B-

It would leak oil and the electricals would let you down.

Here's another homemade Rear Axle Locknut SST. This is made from a 1 3/16" socket and 6 little pieces of 1/4" x 3/8" mild steel bar stock, and some MIG welding.

The cost was $1 for the socket from the "Bin-O-Sockets" at my friendly neighborhood pawn shop. :hillbilly: :beer:
I think it was actually the 1st one I picked up from the bin. (plus the bits of steel and at least $50 worth of time, of course).
If the cash is important, make one. If your time is valuable, buy an official one. I like making stuff, so...

For this design, the minimum socket diameter is 1.34", about a 1" socket.
Maximum is 1.70", about a 1 1/4" socket.

1 3/16" and 1 1/8" sockets are just right, and easy to find.
RearAxleSpindleTool_vga.JPG
RearAxleSpindleTool_in_use_vga.JPG

Mine, just a bit of turned / milled aluminium, 1/2" square hole in the end for the torque wrench. No idea what shipping 300g to the US would be but there are no oil leaks :D

sidebyside.JPG

engaged.JPG

Last edited:
The only possible issue I see with the above designs is they rely on applying force on the pins. The pins are not intended for that purpose and I am not sure what the ramifications would be. The factory tool fits into the holes in the nut.

It's true, we are pushing on the pins instead of those nice holes that Mr. T meant us to. However, it seems to work just fine and the pins are solid, thick and strong, way stronger than any force needed for this. It's a little clumsier to change directions too, but not enough to be difficult at all.

All right, all right, you win the "spiffiest homemade tool" award! :cheers:
Wish I had those machines :crybaby:

Version 2, bit deeper, works front & rear :) Yes I know you can buy a 54mm socket and cut slots in it but I wanted to make something ;)
DSCF0003.JPG

Interesting.

I wonder if we can take a 54mm hub tool and cut the 3 notches to have 1 trail tool that would do both the front and rear hubs?

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom