Rear Axle Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did some searching on this but wasn't able to find any hits on my issue. I had my gears changed from stock to 4.88s at a reputable local shop, and since then, I've got grease leaking all over my rear left wheel. It's not much, and I clean it off each time it gets washed, but obviously something was not put together right. Instead of complaining about said local shop, I'd rather just take this as an opportunity to learn to repair my rig myself.

I just recently rebuild the front knuckles on my 80 and suspect it's just the inner axle seal that needs replacing. Has anyone else had this issue or done this maintenance? The front knuckle rebuild has been detailed and documented all over the place, but there's not much out there on the read axle service.

Pic of my 80 for attention.
2021-01-13 15.29.35.jpg

Rear axle work is covered in the FSM (Resources - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/)
Based on what you describe, it sounds like the rear axle seals were damaged / nicked when the shop was pulling the 3rd member for the re-gear.

I did both sides on mine since the seals had been breached.

You will want to clean your brake pads / rotors / parking brake shoes since there will be a mix of diff oil / hub grease all over them.

I also referred to this youtube video while working on it:

I did some searching on this but wasn't able to find any hits on my issue. I had my gears changed from stock to 4.88s at a reputable local shop, and since then, I've got grease leaking all over my rear left wheel. It's not much, and I clean it off each time it gets washed, but obviously something was not put together right. Instead of complaining about said local shop, I'd rather just take this as an opportunity to learn to repair my rig myself.

I just recently rebuild the front knuckles on my 80 and suspect it's just the inner axle seal that needs replacing. Has anyone else had this issue or done this maintenance? The front knuckle rebuild has been detailed and documented all over the place, but there's not much out there on the read axle service.

Pic of my 80 for attention.View attachment 2914181
What year is your truck?

91-92 are different from 93-97.

Replacing the rear seals is about as simple as you get. If you have already done the fronts then you will ace the rears. Just take your time when you install the seals and fit the hub back on. Use OEM seals - or be prepared to do it again in week or 2.

It’s probably leaking out between the hub and the axle flange. Happened to me too, paper gaskets suck. Slide the axle out a bit on the side that’s leaking and put a new gasket or silicone, then slide it back in. Six nuts, don’t even have to take the wheel off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom