Rear auto locker: Why not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got an 06 LC. Also have a diesel 60 with an Aussie locker in the rear. Love the auto locker in it.

Now: the 80’s guys have nothing but great things to say about auto lockers for rear axles. So, why am I reading about so much hesitation from 100 owners? They’re both full time four wheel drive?

Just a guess, wouldnt an auto locker fight with the ATRAC? or make ATRAC pointless

With atrac and an “auto-locker”, it might not work properly or engage as designed because atrac is managing wheel spin before the locker senses spin and has a chance to engage.

OTH- Im probably over simplifying this; with a selectable locker like ARB, TJM, Harrop E locker you basically fool atrac sensors because the wheels are locked together theres no independent wheel spin on that axle to manage.

On a fulltime 4wd, Id prefer a selectable locker.

Will A-Track just brake front axle with the rear locked?

Will A-Track just brake front axle with the rear locked?

Getting over my pay grade here: my understanding is that atrac is looking for independent wheel spin and it will apply braking to that wheel to manage spin- so theoretically with locked rear the focus would be towards independent wheel spin- front if its unlocked.

Anyway- so many situations where locker can get you in trouble(off camber trail/hillside for example) that having a selectable locker would be a better tool than an auto locker in that kind of situation.

Again, I go back to the 80's guys. They really like them.

I forget about the ATRAC on these things. My thought is the ATRAC probably wouldn't be doing anything with a rear auto locker and the center locked. With the center locked both drive shafts are spinning at the same rate. If a front tire looses traction it's only going to spin as fast as the rear tires (no crazy spinning of tires as with open diffs and no traction control). Maybe ATRAC would kick in if only 1 front had traction.

I haven't been convinced that a rear auto in a 100 is a bad thing. However, I am open-minded.

Anyway- so many situations where locker can get you in trouble(off camber trail/hillside for example) that having a selectable locker would be a better tool than an auto locker in that kind of situation.

I see this brought up a lot. I've never experienced this in my Aussie locked 60. I see that scenario being extremely rare. The times where a locker has saved my bacon by getting me through/up/over in a controlled manner is such a massive benefit.

Anyway, in that sidehill example: if the rear was unlocked (open or just hit the unlock button) I can see where you'd have no movement, just spinning a tire. At least that's my armchair analysis.

I think with an auto rear, you lose the Benefit of having ATRAC. I think an Auto rear in a 98/99 would be fine.
With a selectable locker you get the best of both worlds, locked rear and ATRAC when needed.

It was my understanding the reason for no locker for the 100 was that the spline count was different? At least that’s what was explained to me. Would an auto cause some type of binding on drive shafts?

I would really like a clear answer as I have been wanting an auto locker for a while now. I have used Attac and wheeled enough to want one.

I too was hung up on installing an automatic locker in the rear also, I was actually in close contact with lokka for awhile when they were developing a lunch box drop in for non posi 100 series. I eventually gave up on it because they kept pushing back their timeline.

Honestly, having wheeled this thing all over far west Texas chihuahuan desert, up into New Mexico and as far East as a Off-road park in South Carolina. The only time I ever had an issue and have been stuck was on a 60 degree plus incline and slid off into ruts from 38" plus sized tires and became high centered.

I was quite skeptical of the ATRAC system, until I used it a bunch, and it works great. Having said all of that I wouldn't hesitate to install a auto locker in the rear of mine, I just really haven't needed it, and I don't want to open up the rear for anything other than PM until I have too.

Front diff is another story.

I think you will see more and more guys continue to push the envelope with these trucks as time goes on just like the 80's series.

Not to offend anyone in here, but 90% of the 100 series demographic base whips out the credit card for both purchase and install of their mods where as the 80 series and other crowds tend to be more user generated mods/ingenuity.

I say go for it!

Good thoughts. A locker is not at the top of my list, but the low cost of the Lokka and ease of install means it’ll be somewhat soon.

I’ll definitely get on the trail the way it is and see how this thing works stock!

@R.E.M.

Do you have a link? Has it been installed on a 100? Any videos of it in action?

Looks like they all require part time. Which model # would fit a 2001?

Beat me to it^^
upload_2018-2-5_16-31-12.png

Last edited:
@R.E.M.

Do you have a link? Has it been installed on a 100? Any videos of it in action?

Looks like they all require part time. Which model # would fit a 2001?

The conversation has been mainly pointed discussing rear autolocker- but the Front Lokka part time has been approached - studied and maybe installed by @LandCruiserPhil.

Good thoughts. A locker is not at the top of my list, but the low cost of the Lokka and ease of install means it’ll be somewhat soon.

I’ll definitely get on the trail the way it is and see how this thing works stock!

I think you'll find that in most case the ATRAC works well in most instances. Ive used my rear locker a handful of times, mainly in climbs that I wanted to crawl up vs approaching with more MO.

As for ease of install..... on a rear 100 series locker install it would be virtually the same PITA process for any kind of locker with the exception of drilling a hole in the 3rd to run an airfitting or electrical wire fitting. You'll still have to pull both rear axles + Set Up of ring gear on the locker, and some "while you're in there" stuff like maybe replacing axle seals(always a good idea), carrier bearings, crush sleeve, fluids, and brake system bleed afterward. Your looking at roughly 4 hrs to remove & replace the rear axles and pull the 3rd out. Then a standard "Set Up" fee to install the locker and everything associated with that process ($450+/-). If you can do all that your self you're way ahead of the game $$ wise.

The conversation has been mainly pointed discussing rear autolocker- but the Front Lokka part time has been approached - studied and maybe installed by @LandCruiserPhil.

<snip>

No lockers on my LX470 just gaytrac and Part Time

I have a Lokka locker on my 80 and I really like it. Other than the auto locker ratcheting around corners, you would have no idea it was there. I have ATRAC in my LX470, and I think it may help you get out of trouble, it does next to nothing to keep you from getting into it to begin with. ATRAC works once you are stuck, and the other thing I am not a fan of is that you have to keep the RPMs up ~2500+ when it is doing its thing. I would say it does work, but it is not a proactive system. I ended up putting a locked axle from a '99 into my 2000 LX, so when you know you are going to need it, you can have it. I think an auto locker provides that same service. I made the switch mostly due to my axle seals and bearings going out, but I would have added an auto locker without any hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom