Real time help, power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled into my hotel in Birmingham and my steering became extremely heavy near lock. Wheeping at the power steering reserviour. And this fat puddle of power steering fluid under the truck. It’s too dark to really tell but it doesn’t appear the rack is leaking. And I can’t trace where the spill is from. Wondering how a leak in a hose or the pump would initially present?

3B8B72C9-4BAE-4727-B040-4AC34CC28A34.jpeg

Pulled into my hotel in Birmingham and my steering became extremely heavy near lock. Wheeping at the power steering reserviour. And this fat puddle of power steering fluid under the truck. It’s too dark to really tell but it doesn’t appear the rack is leaking. And I can’t trace where the spill is from. Wondering how a leak in a hose or the pump would initially present?

View attachment 2159601
Hey I’m here in Bham and happy to help or lend tools/garage. I met you at the 70 series meet and greet 2 years ago and camped next to you. I’ll PM you my number.

Also, sometimes it is the hoses at the reservoir that get brittle over time and leak from there, or the stock hose clamps get loose. Clean off the reservoir really well and the hoses. You may be able to just swap out the factory clamps with hose clamps and be fine.

That looks to be my issue after daytime inspection. I’m going to try and fill/burp and keep it topped off until I get back

I would say that when you get to your destination get some brake cleaner or something similar and clean off the PS hoses and see what is going on. Could be something like the PS hoses have a split near a connection point (PS pump or rack) and needs to be replaced. Should be a simple but messy job if you got the time.

That looks to be my issue after daytime inspection. I’m going to try and fill/burp and keep it topped off until I get back
Optimal way to burp is with front wheels off the ground, sawing wheel back and forth full lock with truck off.

Optimal way to burp is with front wheels off the ground, sawing wheel back and forth full lock with truck off.
Not needed unless the system is dry (i.e. rack replacement).

I waited till my kids’ nap time to get on it. I did end up draining the res. The fluid is yuck and it needs a flush bad. Anyways. Filled and burped. Function is restored. I’m going to limp it home I think.

it seems the culprit of the leak is the send/return lines at the res. I’m goi g to replace them for sure. That said, given the fluid is so bad, if I flush it, any chance of developing a new leak somewhere in the pump or rack? The rack and pump are original And no obvious leaks (I have not the inclination to tear into it in dt Birmingham with two kids by myself).

worth noting, the oil spot I found under the car was actually oil from another car. Couldn’t tell at night and tired from the drive from Ohio. Anyway I just happened to park over it in just about the right spot.

once I get home, I will replace the lines and flush at a minimum. Still debating on a new pump and rack; my gut tells me to just do it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I waited till my kids’ nap time to get on it. I did end up draining the res. The fluid is yuck and it needs a flush bad. Anyways. Filled and burped. Function is restored. I’m going to limp it home I think.

it seems the culprit of the leak is the send/return lines at the res. I’m goi g to replace them for sure. That said, given the fluid is so bad, if I flush it, any chance of developing a new leak somewhere in the pump or rack? The rack and pump are original And no obvious leaks (I have not the inclination to tear into it in dt Birmingham with two kids by myself).

worth noting, the oil spot I found under the car was actually oil from another car. Couldn’t tell at night and tired from the drive from Ohio. Anyway I just happened to park over it in just about the right spot.

once I get home, I will replace the lines and flush at a minimum. Still debating on a new pump and rack; my gut tells me to just do it. Thoughts?
I wouldn't replace the pump or rack until needed. They don't catastrophically fail.

Agree with others... clean all fluid and everything off the lines and around the res first before you start throwing money at it. Could just be a nasty line that needs replaced (do both if so), or there could be a crack in the res (thus replace the res).

Sit down before you get the price quote on the OE pressure hose. :eek:

What is your anchor point for the hi-lift jack there? The rollers?
He's got the jaw under the front lip of the bumper. It would rip the fairlead off.

I wouldn't use brakeclean on any rubber hoses or plastics, rubbing alcohol works well. Keeping some 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ID acrylic tubing (just a few inches of each) along with a hose clamp or two in the back comes in very handy for cruisers.

This has given me an idea. Am going to post it in the main thread.

Last edited:
Since this is the newest thread on PS, I am having problems at low RPM's. Is this the pump? Things work fine while I'm driving.

Since this is the newest thread on PS, I am having problems at low RPM's. Is this the pump? Things work fine while I'm driving.

How is the condition of the belt and overall condition of the system.

What kind of "problems" - like lack of assist? Groaning?

Obviously, drain and replace the fluid. Then run it, then swap it again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom