1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real-time Help Needed for an H diesel (water pump)

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by SuperDuperCruizer, Jul 16, 2017.

1. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought a set of split rims from another mud member whose dropping them off on the way to his destination of Maine.

Josh is enroute to Maine from Georgia in his HJ45 & his truck is starting to overheat. He recently swapped the thermostat and things were good for the first part of his road trip till this morning. He's currently near Richmond, VA at exit 4 on 85N.

Does anyone in the area happen to have a water pump? I suggested he fill the radiator via the radiator cap instead of the reservoir and to keep topping it off a few times till any remaining air in the system was purged.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    Albums:
    May be okay... The HJ45 is rolling and the temp gauge is holding within "normal" range. Doesn't look like a water pump is needed at the moment. I'll post an update once Josh rolls through town.

3. John Smith

John Smith In the garage SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    There may be nothing wrong with the water pump. If he is trying to keep up with traffic on I85 and I 95 and only has a 4 speed and no "rubber overdrive" it is probably going to run hot. If he has a turbo, and the boost is turned up, that won't help any. Depending on his schedule, he may want to consider a slower road like 301 or 29 into the DC area.

Stumpalama and SuperDuperCruizer like this.
  4. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    Albums:
    Not my rig.... So, I'm getting limited details/history; the truck had a rebuilt cylinder head installed within the last month or so. He filled the radiator via radiator cap and dumped in a significant amount. Running okay now; I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to check it when it cools down and finds there's more coolant to add. No air bubbles or water leaking when I last spoke to him. <Fingers crossed> He should be good to go.

5. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    Albums:
    Josh had a pretty cool HJ45 w/camper pop-top... didn't have a chance to take pictures of the truck as he was understandably wanting to hit the road. Thanks for the suggestions and relieved the issue was a relatively minor/easy fix.

Since everyone likes pictures; I did receive 16 inch split rims for the FJ45lv (soon to be blasted & powder coated):

image.jpg

Stumpalama and Von Hayek like this.
  6. mwalls54

mwalls54 Cruiser Nutjob SILVER Star

He looked like he was doing good when I passed him on 495

7. Imast

Imast

Thanks guys. Every thing is going well. Think I just had an air bubble. I replace the thermostate in Friday and must not have filled properly. I was on the intersate but only going 50-55. Hugging the right lane.