Re-routed Exhaust - Over The Frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 2 years ago I removed the resonator, cut and turned the cats, and had a 50 series flowmaster installed. I loved the clearance I gained from the cats being turned horizontal, but was unhappy with how the pipe that exited the second cat had to run under and around the frame rail. I was worried about the exposure to rock damage. A year later, I installed a 1" body lift and noticed there was plenty of room to re-route the exhaust pipe up and over the frame rail. Well, after a recent encounter with a rock with this portion of pipe, I was forced to get this done. The tail pipe also exited under the frame rail right behind the tire and took its share of abuse, so I had the run over the frame rail as well. Here are the results.
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Tail Pipe Over Frame

Here's a couple more of the tail pipe exiting over the frame rail behing the rear tire.
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0402.jpg

Nicely done. Do you get much exhaust fumes inside the vehicle? I was so glad to get that mod done.

Over the frame after the cats is a very popular mod for 95-97s. It was stock for the 93-94s. you can also use the heat shield from the early models as it bolts right on. John

Nice work. Also I didnt know about the heat shields off a 93-94....thanks, good to know. This was the best mod that I've done.

Nicely done. Do you get much exhaust fumes inside the vehicle?

My rig is a convertible now, so no problem with fumes :D

you can also use the heat shield from the early models as it bolts right on. John

I was planning on adding a heat shield, I will check that out. Thanks!

I will try and get better pictures tomorrow as it was dark when I picked this up from the shop. I am very pleased with how tucked up everything is now. I will have no issues when I am in the rocks now.

How do you like the Flowmaster? Tone? Any power loss or gain?

Not to answer for VCCruzr, but I have essentially the same exhaust setup. Definitely flows better than stock. My only complaint is that its actually a little too quiet for me. If I could do it again I'd go with a 2 chamber welded muffler like the thrush, instead of the 50 series.

Like BFT said, with the Flowmaster, there is definitely better flow which provides a bit of a power gain, nothing dramatic though. As far as being quiet, I wouldn't want one any louder.

When I first had it installed, I was going for clearance more than sound. These mufflers are flat oval, so when installed, the bottom surface sits just above the bottom of the frame rails, unlike the OEM which was taking alot of hits on the rocks. I was given the option of a 40, 50, or 60 series. The 40 offering the most performance, but at the price of being very loud, and then decreasing in performance and noise as you move up. I chose the 50 and have been very pleased.

I referred a couple of mudders to the same shop that did mine and they chose the 60 series for a more quiet ride, yet stll louder than OEM. One of them actually started with the 50 series but thought it was too loud and had it swapped out.

I should add a caveat that I drove around for about 9 months with no muffler, no doors, and the exhaust dumping right behind the cats. So "quiet" to me is a relative term.

Reviving and old thread here but my 97 has the stock routing under the frame and I'd like to change it. How difficult is it to route over the frame without doing a body lift? From my understanding that was the way they were routed prior to 95. Also plan to replace my cats at the same time. Kind of a PRK only deal but according to this site I have several options. It does have different parts for front and rear of vehicle. Does this mean that I need say a magnaflow 447106 to replace the front cat and a 447206 to replace the rear cat? The 447206 is about $100 less so I'd like to use that to replace both cats. My front is not CARB compliant since the great Peoples Republic changed the requirements last year and my rear is the 14 year old stock cat.

Sorry can't help with be cats but you should be able to go over the frame rail no problem. I ran 3" pipe up and over and had to trim just a little of the heat shield to clear. Creeper sleeper and I both had 3" exhaust threads about the same time with pics. My pass floorboards got hot but I blame the generic cat because the temps dropped when I installed the ems with the same routing

Sorry can't help with be cats but you should be able to go over the frame rail no problem. I ran 3" pipe up and over and had to trim just a little of the heat shield to clear. Creeper sleeper and I both had 3" exhaust threads about the same time with pics. My pass floorboards got hot but I blame the generic cat because the temps dropped when I installed the ems with the same routing
Is the EMS system 3"Oir 2.5"? Just curious. JOHN

I did a custom over the frame on my 96. Used 2.5" and its kinda tight. It doesn't hit but if it where 3" it might. Just for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom