Rain Gutter and Top Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cheers @jvincig01 - this has been a process. I love it! And I am grateful for all you documented along your process... that will help me and others (you too @zerotreedelta).

I'll be in Sac/Davis end of July and maybe if you're up for it, treat you to a brewery of your choice. (My choice and usual hangout might be a bit of a drive)

Cheers @jvincig01 - this has been a process. I love it! And I am grateful for all you documented along your process... that will help me and others (you too @zerotreedelta).

I'll be in Sac/Davis end of July and maybe if you're up for it, treat you to a brewery of your choice. (My choice and usual hangout might be a bit of a drive)
Happy to meet up for a beer! If you are going to tackle this project, I have @zerotreedelta modified vice grips/rivet setter and can pass them on to you.

Looks good, laid down nice overall.

For what it's worth, even Uncle Toyota seemed to struggle with the corners - our original/OEM headliner had a bit of a pucker on the driver's corner since new.
Good point about Uncle T!

Tops on. More pictures to come. But how do I fill this gap?

IMG_4279.jpeg

This is what mine looked like before I took my roof off.

I will pass the visor on way out - (It is Keno Night at Rancid Pork & Skee-ball Emporium.) - and see if the visor is different somehow. I can't tell what the material is but I think metal. Oh wait, I might have a pict handy from my visor resto. Hold on...

Hmmm - my uneducated thought is the visor.... That was the side restored/patch due to rust

IMG_8979.jpg

20230502_150351.JPG

Looks like a bit of the visor got nibbled - there would've been a bit of steel that carried to the outer rail. I'm guessing you could use a bit of rubber as a packing there, working from the inside.

(I've got some bug splatter, it needs a bath!)

PXL_20230610_023509400.MP.jpg

Most of the late model hardtops I've taken apart have a small bit of what looks like white butyl tape packed in each corner from the factory. I just removed a top from an all original 1981 that had the butyl in there. Same material was present on my 77 and 80. See pics.

When reinstalling the cap I always add a bit of white butyl tape. Makes a nice weather/wind tight seal.

PXL_20230606_002030054.jpg

PXL_20230606_002024442.jpg

Most of the late model hardtops I've taken apart have a small bit of what looks like white butyl tape packed in each corner from the factory. I just removed a top from an all original 1981 that had the butyl in there. Same material was present on my 77 and 80. See pics.

When reinstalling the cap I always add a bit of white butyl tape. Makes a nice weather/wind tight seal.
I used a bit of seam sealer in that corner on mine, but same idea. Seems like @jvincig01 's is a but larger opening than typical, but solvable.

hey @jvincig01 - I had to put my roof on in haste today (Visor not riveted etc - used #4 screws and nuts). The vet called after going the the Grateful Dead concert and said to bring my rig down - for what looks like some surgery to the engine starting - next weekend.

In doing so- I too have a gap - where you do - Some of that "goo of Shamu" @Oregon LC mentioned is needed on mine as well. I have some remnants of it. Just not enough. Anyway, wanted you to know your not alone.

Hard to tell in the pict - about half the size of yours, but still there.

IMG_1084.jpg

I am going to give butyl tape a try tomorrow. It seems like that's the easiest solution.

Well folks....the top is on, and it's all tightened down. There are a few spots I could be happier with, but I am just going to enjoy it. Thinking back, I wouldn't describe this project as fun but essential. The factory setup wasn't ideal, so I recommend using the appropriate sealers and taking your time. I took it to a local Cars and Coffee get-together this weekend with my son, who was beaming with pride while people checked out our FJ. It made the whole process worth it.

Special thanks to @zerotreedelta for the videos he posted on YouTube, the vice grips/rivet setter, and just the feedback during the process. If anyone would like me to pass the vice grips to them, just let me know, and I will take care of shipping.

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG

I am going to give butyl tape a try tomorrow. It seems like that's the easiest solution.

Well folks....the top is on, and it's all tightened down. There are a few spots I could be happier with, but I am just going to enjoy it. Thinking back, I wouldn't describe this project as fun but essential. The factory setup wasn't ideal, so I recommend using the appropriate sealers and taking your time. I took it to a local Cars and Coffee get-together this weekend with my son, who was beaming with pride while people checked out our FJ. It made the whole process worth it.

Special thanks to @zerotreedelta for the videos he posted on YouTube, the vice grips/rivet setter, and just the feedback during the process. If anyone would like me to pass the vice grips to them, just let me know, and I will take care of shipping.

View attachment 3346961
View attachment 3346963View attachment 3346962
That looks sweet! So a question for you as I also put mine back together. Where did you stop your headliner up front? The headliner on mine was also serving as the top to windshield gasket (all the way up the lip that the blue tape is on). I have the new appropriate gasket and have cut the headliner back to the bend in the metal. Should I cut it back further where my finger is pointing? Just worried that with the new gasket sitting on the headliner the roof may sit a bit too high on the windshield

IMG_5386.jpeg

That looks sweet! So a question for you as I also put mine back together. Where did you stop your headliner up front? The headliner on mine was also serving as the top to windshield gasket (all the way up the lip that the blue tape is on). I have the new appropriate gasket and have cut the headliner back to the bend in the metal. Should I cut it back further where my finger is pointing? Just worried that with the new gasket sitting on the headliner the roof may sit a bit too high on the windshield

View attachment 3347778

I did about what you have there, up the vertical and across the horizontal. I used some white gaffers tape to hold the edge where the metal goes back up for the second vertical.

The windshield smooshes anything on the "horizontal", basically.

Screenshot_20230612-184613.png

PXL_20230612_234449828.MP.jpg

View attachment 3346961
View attachment 3346963View attachment 3346962

Hello @jvincig01,

Did you use butyl tape, or did you find another solution for the gap? Pictures would be appreciated. I am in the same process right now.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom