Builds When your inner voice speaks, you need to listen. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It must be an affliction, perhaps even a mental ailment, getting attached to inanimate objects. And so it goes with an old FJ62 a I went in on with buddy of mine about 3 years ago. $1900 seemed fair, at the time. Now, in hindsight, I see that it was really too much money. It was a running driving 60 series, I mean “How bad can it be?”. As it turns out, pretty bad.

Once the truck was back at my shop and I was no longer looking at it through rose colored glasses I saw the warts, and there are many. Rusty warts. Big and numerous. I had just finished a restoration on a 77 Fiat 124 Spider and dealing with rust wasn’t at the top of my list of “Fun things to do in your off time”. It sucks. A lot. So I just let it sit where he parked it, under that big Oak tree, slowly sinking into the soft ground.

People would stop by, “Hey, whatcha gonna do with that old Land Cruiser?”, “We are gonna get a round tuit soon.”, I’d say. But there it sat. The guilt of watching it slowly decay was weighing on me. I needed to do something. So after a rational discussion on IH8Mud.com where some sane people said something to the effect of “Run, run away!”, I listed in on Craigslist.

Greg showed up, a nice guy. Greg has four 60 series wagons, real beauties too. He was interested in this one just for the frame because one he bought, at night, he didn’t see the state of the frame until the deal was done. I told Greg “based on the state of the tub, I’m thinking this is gonna look rough.”, I’d never even looked underneath, I didn’t have the heart. So we looked, and what we found surprised me. It is actually in pretty decent shape. We walked around the truck still inspecting it for problem and that’s when I noticed something. It was almost a whisper, a faint breeze you have to hold your breath to detect at first. Its warm caress against your face, the siren song pulling me even closer. “Greg, help me. Please.” Greg was no help. The nice guy that Greg was didn’t understand the signs of the illness. He said it was a pretty decent truck and would totally understand if I wanted to restore it. The singing was almost deafening now. It was then that I ran aground and day became night. The FJ62 was staying, and I was going to save her. I mean “How bad can it be?”.

I spent all of last Saturday getting it running again. Finally it was running but really rough, but running nevertheless. I figured bad gas even with 3 gallons of new non-ethanol in it and a can of Seafoam. Then it just stopped. A little troubleshooting and I determined the fuel pump died. I was surprised it worked at all with it having sat for 3 years. I did some reading that night and found I needed to cut an access panel to get the pump out. Sunday I cut the panel and pulled out the pump. Yep, it’s bad and quite rusty. Damned ethanol gas.

I didn’t have another pump on hand for the Cruiser, but I did have an old pump out of my K1200LT bike that I recalled was similar. I dug it out and yep, made it work. Rigged it up, crammed it back into the hole and sure enough she fired up.

I needed 4wd to get out of the muck (it works!) and it was moving under it’s own steam again. Also running much smoother with better fuel pressure, I suspect. I moved it into my shop and began the tear down. It’s rough, real rough in some places. But the frame looks solid and the drive train, electrics, etc all work. So this is a 95% sheet metal job, I think (hope). I am looking at a year, or so, of cutting and welding before I even get to a point where I can deal with paint. But hey, it’s just metal, “How hard can it be?”

20190127_131617.jpg

20190124_151545.jpg

20190124_151616.jpg

20190124_151712.jpg

20190124_151720.jpg

You are a brave soul. After working on the last two rusty vehicles in the past years, I am with you on not wanting to do more.
But such is life with these old vehicles. (my next project is either a Tr3/4 or a 65/66 Mustang, both will have rust I am sure)
You are at least going into this with eyes open after restoring the Fiat. With a solid frame, the rest is just body rust and panels/ pillars can be repaired or replaced.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
You are a brave soul indeed, that is insane rust IMO. I think you are better off find a donor vehicle and do a swap. Good luck and keep us posted.

Alice.
Drink tho bottle marked, " find another $1,000 FJ 60/62 and piece ONE together". You can sell us unneeded parts and the white rabbit is sure to invite you to another party with an easier outcome.

Sidenote...3 years sitting and after minor repair...it moved in 4wd. That is partly why these are legendary vehicles.

Either way- good luck and welcome to the fever.

Last edited:
I hate to repeat what everyone else here is saying, but that truck is too far gone for sure. You'd probably have better luck parting out what is good there or finding an intact body to swap on to your frame. With that amount of rust, you're going to end up replacing most everything anyway. Good luck!

Are you familiar with the term 'necrotizing fasciitis'?

Because I think your ole girl has it...

but as someone once said "don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it".[/QUOTE]
I think I will frame this, Thanks @georgebj60.

Alice.
Drink tho bottle marked, " find another $1,000 FJ 60/62 and piece ONE together". You can sell us unneeded parts and the white rabbit is sure to invite you to another party with an easier outcome.

Sidenote...3 years sitting and after minor repair...it mived in 4wd. That is partly why these are legendary vehicles.

Either way- good luck and welcome to the fever.

If I could find one I'd do that. If you know of some donors send them my way! I can use this tub as a donor for one less rusted out. I plan on pulling it off the frame no matter what, so I'm game.

20190130_213535.jpg

Front window out, good way to weld it shut, no need for donor, it would be the same problem. just grind, patch weld.
I would have driven a bit more to see if the engine and tranny is fine but it looks oke, braked disk seems to be above 18mm.
Dont know about the birfs and steering linkage but 5 new tierods are always a good idea for an unknown history truck.
Motivation is the only ingredient for this job.

Front window out, good way to weld it shut, no need for donor, it would be the same problem. just grind, patch weld.
I would have driven a bit more to see if the engine and tranny is fine but it looks oke, braked disk seems to be above 18mm.
Dont know about the birfs and steering linkage but 5 new tierods are always a good idea for an unknown history truck.
Motivation is the only ingredient for this job.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, yeah, the rust is bad in spots, and if I could find a donor tub it would be a hell of a lot easier and faster job. But the pinch welds at the windows are pretty easy. The floor pans inside the truck are easy and hidden under carpet. The door bottoms shouldn't be too bad since these trucks aren't super curvy. The rear corner where the body shop used bondo and fiberglass is going to be a real bitch. Lots to cut out and I really need a bead roller to duplicate the bed channels. But hey, it's just sheet metal. I mean, it's not like I can make it look worse, right?

it's not like I can make it look worse, right?
god, no, anything is better in that sad girl.
Jeez, and I thought mine was bad. :)
I made some patches last winter and simply used self drilling screws and seam sealer. Now I have a welder but it’s only fluxcore.
There’s a guy up in Canada who has a thread 650k something or other. He’s been repairing rusty areas a sectional a time. I need to go back and reread his thread. It’s awe inspiring.

75A53CE7-D7EC-45C0-9DE0-2EB9569E8FEE.jpeg

704999BB-CD40-4523-9F56-F2FCE1CE3CDA.jpeg

god, no, anything is better in that sad girl.
Jeez, and I thought mine was bad. :)
I made some patches last winter and simply used self drilling screws and seam sealer. Now I have a welder but it’s only fluxcore.
There’s a guy up in Canada who has a thread 650k something or other. He’s been repairing rusty areas a sectional a time. I need to go back and reread his thread. It’s awe inspiring.

View attachment 1893778

View attachment 1893783

Awesome idea! I'll see about trying to duplicate something as I rebuild those sections of the rear deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom