Radio interference after new plugs and coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zzp

Threads
On my '99 with 150K, I recently had a misfire on the #4. I already had new OEM denso coil packs and plugs ready and installed them. Misfire was gone and it runs great. My problem is that I now regularly hear interference through my radio - ticking that varies with load and throttle position. Generally, the noise doesn't show up until I have driven for 5 to 10 minutes.

I thought maybe I had a loose plug or coil pack, so I confirmed they were torqued per spec (I went just over 13ft-lbs) and coils were seated well and bolts tight. Still have the same issue.

The only thing I can think of that may be causing it is that I gapped the plugs for euro-spec, not realizing that there was a smaller gap for north american specs, and also not considering that they should have come with the proper gap. They are Denso SK20R11s, OEM Spec

Has anyone experienced this in the past? Thoughts? My next step is to pull all the plugs and check gap, or maybe just do a new set of plugs again but I would hate to waste the money if that's not the problem!

I did check grounds, and installed a new battery AFTER the problem started, with no change.

Where did you source the coils from?
Ebay, from a reputable (as far as you can tell from history and reviews/ratings) seller. Came in an OEM toyota box, have Denso branding and part number, but the head was a slightly different shape than what I pulled off. I do not know that what I replaced was OEM but I assume so.

I like to think I have a good sense for fakes on Ebay, but never can be 100% sure!

I won't jump to conclude they are fakes, but fakes are becoming harder and harder to expose. Do a search in this section and you'll find some folks that are experts in injection molding that will identify clues to flag a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom