Radiator Leak Build is Getting A Diesel! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw this truck at Proffits. Beautiful Cruiser and the install quality typical Proffits(A++). I am super curious about mpg. After seeing this in person I am seriously considering this engine in the cruiser I bought...well...today. Do you have enough miles to give us a good mpg? Proffits guessed it would get 26+ and thinks the computer controlled version might get 30+ in a 60 series.
Thanks

Wow. Sounds really good so far. Did you have to go SOA for the 3.3? I think the 4BT needs it for the pan depth.

If the 3.3 can go in with a basic OME SUA lift, that would be great!

Alright, Im not on the same coast as my truck right now but i took a bunch of pictures before I left!

Like i said i was getting some ring noise, that would have involved a lower half rebuild. I did not want to take the time i did before (see my build page) to do this again, so i said Screw it and decided to go diesel. So i dropped this thing with off Proffitts Cruisers before my deployment... I worked with John at the Utah shop.

I talked to John back and fourth over email for the seven months i was out to sea. Let me just say I am a HUGE perfectionist and all the little details matter to me, so i was concerned about letting someone else work on it. However Proffitts put my worries to rest. When i got my cruiser back i felt like i had done the work myself. All the wires were hidden and neatly done, everything was routed smartly, it just looks simple and awesome. I am very impressed with the quality and attention to detail. Proffitts customer service was awesome as well, they answered all my emails and (literally) hundreds of questions every day. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

So here are some pics of the engine bay:
IMG_1765.jpg

image-1.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

Last edited:
Notes about the engine and install:
- Got to reuse my bj60 air cleaner which made me happy, other installs with this engine have a conical air filter on the end so at least I'm getting some cold air!
-Exhaust and intake manifold are ceramic coated black. Looks really good. Just wish i could have ceramic coated the turbo!
-Powergate solid state dual battery rectifier is installed and working awesome.
-Tons of room in the engine bay now, especially with the electric fan. The diesel runs so cool though i haven't seen it kick on yet.
-all my gauges work perfectly still.
-The diesel literally has one wire to make it run, super simple.

There was an electric coolant heater between the oil cooler and heater control valve, however it did not allow enough coolant flow and the heater wouldn't work... there was no hot air. So I'm entertaining the idea of a lower hose heater. Scott at Eco Offroad who also does 3.3 conversions says he runs fine without any heater in the winters. I do have an intake grid heater but a coolant heater would be nice to keep this baby running as long as possible.

Engine Performance:
-24 mpg on first tank. I am obviously extremely happy with that. Its about 2.5 times the mpg it was getting before. Thats with me driving it around like crazy too. With more of a break in and me driving it normally i can't wait to see how it goes.
- The engine sounds awesome. I have no sound deadening, just a linexed floor, and its not much louder than the 2F. It vibrates a bit more obviously, so i will add some sound dampening behind the dash, but the engine is on some liquid filled engine mounts so its not too bad.
- even with less HP than the 2f, there is a significant difference. It is noticeably perkier and unlike the carb drives great at every altitude. It pulls up every hill.

Some overall pics, add a leafs going in this week to fix the stink bug, also have an alloy art roof rack going on as soon as i can make it to seattle!

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

What transmission and drivetrain are you running? Looks very nice.

Do you have A/C on the truck and if so is it functional too?

I like it.

Take a video next time you're with her :D

How much weight do you think you could tow with this setup?

I doubt the towing capacity has changed, I find it's not how well you can pull a load, it's how well you can stop a loaded rig. Brakes on a 60 series are marginal at best.

I doubt the towing capacity has changed, I find it's not how well you can pull a load, it's how well you can stop a loaded rig. Brakes on a 60 series are marginal at best.

Lets be honest, they are horrible. I have upgraded to 4Runner calipers and M/C and they still blow on 33's. Setup does work well on my lighter FJ40 with 37's though.

Rig looks good, what adapter was used to mount the H55F to the 3.3?

Does Proffitts source these motors new, how about used?

Wow! That is NICE!! Clean install!

:)

Lets be honest, they are horrible. I have upgraded to 4Runner calipers and M/C and they still blow on 33's. Setup does work well on my lighter FJ40 with 37's though.

Rig looks good, what adapter was used to mount the H55F to the 3.3?

Does Proffitts source these motors new, how about used?

Not sure what you guys are doing with your brakes but I am running vented rotors and a Toyota V6 master cyl and I can lock up 37's both front and rears on demand.

Sorry to hijack the thread Prowler. The engine looks like it belongs there. Amazingly clean install. Kinda a bummer I didnt stop by Profitts when I was in SLC a few weeks back I would have drooled all over this.

If you are ever in P-Town give me a day or two's notice I would love to buy you a beverage of your choice and talk diesels.

Thank you for your service to our country. Enjoy it it was hard earned.

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom