Radiator 2nd choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the general consensus on a radiator supplier/brand if OEM is not available? I don't have time to wait for an OEM option to ship who knows when. My local NAPA can get a Denso next day for $450. Any connections on reliable aftermarket options? Thanks!

Lots of opinions in this thread if you’re looking for a consensus:

What is the general consensus on a radiator supplier/brand if OEM is not available? I don't have time to wait for an OEM option to ship who knows when. My local NAPA can get a Denso next day for $450. Any connections on reliable aftermarket options? Thanks!
I was in a similar boat a couple months ago and bought the Denso from my local NAPA.

Mishimoto? But yeah, a next-day Denso would be pretty high on the list.

FEI - I just ordered a Denso 2219362 from rock Auto website. Put in the year make model engine info and went to replace the OEM and it DOES NOT FIT. The upper mounting holes are not even close to matching up. Don't order this P/N for a 100 Series. Mine is a 98 but should be similar situation for at least up to 02.

The all Aluminum Mishimoto is a no brainer first choice. Perfect fit and no plastic BS.

FEI - I just ordered a Denso 2219362 from rock Auto website. Put in the year make model engine info and went to replace the OEM and it DOES NOT FIT. The upper mounting holes are not even close to matching up. Don't order this P/N for a 100 Series. Mine is a 98 but should be similar situation for at least up to 02.
221-3152 is the correct Denso radiator for 98-02 100 series

221-9362 is the correct Denso radiator for 94-97 80 series.

I prefer an all aluminum radiator. I've even spent $$$ on a custom Ron Davis all-aluminum radiator. But Mishimoto defect rate is high. Not a reputable company. Those in the know, know. I'd recommend OE Land Cruiser radiator since the 40 series.... maybe before... aka T.Rad.

I've read more than one thread about the denso's leaking at the trans cooler fitting. Mine is currently doing just this. I heard spectra is a good option.

I prefer an all aluminum radiator. I've even spent $$$ on a custom Ron Davis all-aluminum radiator. But Mishimoto defect rate is high. Not a reputable company. Those in the know, know. I'd recommend OE Land Cruiser radiator since the 40 series.... maybe before... aka T.Rad.
I have a Mishimoto. I guess I’m not in the know. It’s been fine since I installed it. Should I be worried that it will eventually fail? Or is it an issue of them starting with a leak from the factory?

I did do a fair bit of reading before I purchased it. It sounded like Denso had some QC issues as well. I like the idea of aluminum so I took a chance. Hope I don’t regret it down the road.

Sorry, about the cheeky 'in the know' comment. If anybody was in the Sport Compact / Import Tuner / Drift scene in the 2000's, they'll have been familiar with Mishimoto since then... the company was started by a group of "kids/friends" in the mid 2000's in the US. They were flashy looking radiators, well-priced, lifetime warranty and from a Japanese company.... oh wait, the last part is false... it just sounded Japanese. In the import scene, all the big names were from Japanese companies (i.e. HKS, Greddy, Tein)... so naturally if you want to market your company, you want to sound Japanese.

They sold a lot of them. Advertised a lot Tuner car magazines. But like I said, they had a high defect rate. You submit a claim, wait two weeks for your replacement radiator, install it and same leak. Poor fitment issues were common too.

Personally, I tend to question companies more when "Lifetime Warranty" is their main advertising slogan. They often go into the same category as Midas Muffler and A-1 Cardone. Companies that have a lifetime warranty without advertising it are usually more credible to me. Sure, a lifetime warranty is nice but it's limited, you have to pay shipping both ways and if it is older than 2 years, you'll have to pay an additional charge... and then there is downtime.

Regarding, Denso... I have also read about the QC issues. I purchased one and it has been fine but should it fail, I will purchase the OE radiator (T.Rad) instead. The OE radiator used to be very expensive due to a price fixing scandal.

Aftermarket Denso is made in Taiwan
OEM Denso is made in Japan
I would suggest getting all metal/aluminium like, koyorad or mishimoto if your going to spent $450+

Aftermarket Denso is made in Taiwan
OEM Denso is made in Japan
I would suggest getting all metal/aluminium like, koyorad or mishimoto if your going to spent $450+
While Denso is the OEM for a number of components on our vehicles, I thought T.Rad was the OEM for 100 series radiators?

While Denso is the OEM for a number of components on our vehicles, I thought T.Rad was the OEM for 100 series radiators?
I'm sorry but do you mean T. Rad as in Toyota radiator?!

I've sold a few radiators and they are manufactured by Denso (made in Japan)

I installed a CSF radiator 3-4 years ago together with new hoses (Continental I think), new OEM clamps and a new OEM cap, no issues, no leaks.
But my main reason for choosing this over others was that I had a local distributor nearby, so didn't have to get it shipped, and avoided dealing with damage during transportation, which I think is the main reason why some have bad luck with Rockauto or Amazon rads. It's a pretty fragile part that is never wrapped properly, and because it's light people sometimes toss it around, by the time you get it it's all banged up.

@hoser - Got it. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll grind off the Mishimoto label and pretend it's custom! :grinpimp:

I’ve been running the koyo. No troubles at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom