Quieting the alternator belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
All,

Setup is a stock 1987 2F in my 1974 FJ40. OEM cogged alternator belt makes a whoosing noise that I find annoying. Squirt a few drops of window cleaner (or water) on the belt and it instantly quiets. Tension is fine. Pulley looks fine, but paint is faded. No debris or damage.

Trying to avoid the belt dressing thing (I don’t know why). I’ve got some chassis black gloss paint sitting around. Would painting the pulley potentially quiet it down?

Thanks...

8FCE420F-C5E2-462B-8D0D-BE47C4AC314D.jpeg
D55E870C-1061-45AE-B926-36A501FEBCC2.jpeg

Put some mud terrain tires on it, and you will not hear the alternator belt any more. ;)

Put some mud terrain tires on it, and you will not hear the alternator belt any more. ;)
I am pretty sure that would be a waste of money. I’m not convinced I could hear the tires over the howl of the transfer case. I can already only hear the belt at stop lights.

My wife would never understand how painting a pulley would lead to me trying to stuff my split case I have sitting in a box (and all that entails) in my ‘74.

I am pretty sure that would be a waste of money. I’m not convinced I could hear the tires over the howl of the transfer case. I can already only hear the belt at stop lights.

My wife would never understand how painting a pulley would lead to me trying to stuff my split case I have sitting in a box (and all that entails) in my ‘74.

It’s not a bad swap and boy does it cut down on the highway noise

It’s not a bad swap and boy does it cut down on the highway noise
See? This is how it starts...

I’d need to source a newer/longer transmission, trans cover holes would be wrong, xfer linkages would need to be sourced, move torque tube, weld in trans x-member I have in another box....

It was long, long ago when I tried numerous, (I’m talking Lots) of belt dressings and found none to have any long-lasting results and some made my belts squeak worse. Then my dad gave me a can of Nu-Calgon belt dressing he got from work and surprisingly, it worked very well at keeping them quiet long term. That can lasted for years and worked on many vehicles till it finally ran out. I kept that empty can for decades but was never able to replace it until only recently when I stumbled onto it. I haven’t encountered squeaky belts for a long time, but I was excited to find it again and bought a can anyway just to have on hand. The can looks the same, but I can only assume the formula is the same. It may be worth a try. "Nu-Calgon"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom