Question on timing 1fz (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well... the photography is rather good quality compare to most mud photos. Wouldn't hurt for you to make a few bucks making a supplementary document! Might help pay for having a cruisers.

Meh....I'm retired.

If it helps someone else, that is payment enough for me.

Lord knows the folks here have helped me in the past *and continue to do so*.

I agree with clx16. I’ve used @flintknapper photos and general tech knowledge several times. His photos are icing on the cake since like many, I’m also very visual. The illustrations in the FSM don’t help me much at all.

20210619_171750.jpg

Ok so this is at 0TDC on the crank with diz rotor pointing to #1.

As you can see the gears are lined up. The dots are not making a perfect horizontal line. There is a slight teepee shape. If I rotate through so they are perfectly horizontal then I'm just before the 0TDC mark on the crank.

Should I make the dots horizontal and then insert the diz from there?

You don't need it perfect to put the distributor on because of how few positions you have anyways, it's either on or it's off by a mile. It's interesting to find that you are seemingly on point with alignments though.

Ok, I take it back. If I make the dots horizontal my crank is at 15BTDC.

So is it possible the HB was put on wrong?

20210619_174747.jpg

20210619_174804.jpg

Horizontal cam dots. Rotor pretty much at 12oclock. HB at 15BTDC

Your crank needs to be on the money on the mark. Looks like you found the problem. Missing or broken key, or the rubber separation issue. Must be one of them. Time to pull the HB.

While you have the VC off I'd check and make sure the dizzy gear was installed in the right orientation while you are there as well. That's not your main issue but you might find a minor bonus with that as well.

You think I would be good to put the diz in while in this position and run as is till I get parts? Just time it by ear and feel?

Im swapping a trans out of a 92 FJ80 and until I get that done can't get this one in the garage and don't want to tear it down further in the driveway.

What happens to the dots when you manually turn the crank to 0TDC?
Its like my first picture of the cams. The double dots are just below the surface and the middle dots are starting to go up.

Its like my first picture of the cams. The double dots are just below the surface and the middle dots are starting to go up.
I see, so based on manually setting the crank to 0TDC the dots aren't exactly lined up; they look like they're a hair off. I know you already asked this, but assuming things were put together properly prior to your ownership, wouldn't it be logical to line up the marks and reset the dizzy to the 11:30ish position and go from there? Is there a way to tell if your HB is faulty and/or the key is broken/missing/fell inside without taking the HB off?

I'm learning here, not sure what the SMEs think but looking forward to their responses.

He might be able to tell rubber separation without removal. And if it's separated he needs to remove it. The key requires removing to inspect it. So any way around the HB needs to come off. Might as well do it. At this point I'm confident enough it's the key to be willing to put money on it.

He could obviously just say **** it and time it by ear and be fine for a while. But to "fix" the HB has to be taken off.

For now, set your cams TCD, mark your balancer with a paint pen for a new TDC position. Then install your dizzy, set timing and see how she runs. I am guessing it will be good and as stated, address the balancer.

I think you're off on the timing chain to the crankshaft.

1) set the crank at TDC. 0°
2) set the cams so they are perfectly per the FSM for orientation. If the PO allowed the timing chain to slip a tooth, then your cams and crank will not be in alignment with each other.
3) set the dizzy in the correct orientation per the marks and cam position on TDC on the compression stroke.

What happens to the dots when you manually turn the crank to 0TDC?
I was wondering the same.

Getting an accurate 0⁰TDC by using #1 piston position takes a bit of guess work. There'll be a few degrees of crankshaft rotation at TDC where the piston won't visibly move more than a bees dìck as the big end bearing goes through zero degrees.

For now, set your cams TCD, mark your balancer with a paint pen for a new TDC position. Then install your dizzy, set timing and see how she runs. I am guessing it will be good and as stated, address the balancer.
I agree this is a good way to get your dizzy right, and timing right as a temporary work around IF you are certain you have found a true 0⁰TDC.

But, if your harmonic balancer isn't showing TDC, don't put off fixing or replacing it.

I think you're off on the timing chain to the crankshaft.

1) set the crank at TDC. 0°
2) set the cams so they are perfectly per the FSM for orientation. If the PO allowed the timing chain to slip a tooth, then your cams and crank will not be in alignment with each other.
3) set the dizzy in the correct orientation per the marks and cam position on TDC on the compression stroke.

How many teeth are on the crank gear? 40? 9⁰per tooth
1 tooth out on the crank equals 4.5⁰ out on cam timing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom