Question on timing 1fz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me 93 fzj80. I cant get my timing to 3BTDC. I have the cruiser warmed up, in neutral, AC off and E1 and TE1 jumped (confirmed with blinking CEL.)

When I put my timing light on it shows me at 0TDC. However, I cant move the distributor any further, its at max adjustment.

If I move the distributor the other way, the timing mark goes right of 0TDC and the vehicle stumbles and barely runs.

Thoughts? Only thing I can think of is maybe the rotor is not in the correct position? I'm sure its an easy answer that I should know the answer to but don't.

I have a new to me 93 fzj80. I cant get my timing to 3BTDC. I have the cruiser warmed up, in neutral, AC off and E1 and TE1 jumped (confirmed with blinking CEL.)

When I put my timing light on it shows me at 0TDC. However, I cant move the distributor any further, its at max adjustment.

If I move the distributor the other way, the timing mark goes right of 0TDC and the vehicle stumbles and barely runs.

Thoughts? Only thing I can think of is maybe the rotor is not in the correct position? I'm sure its an easy answer that I should know the answer to but don't.

Your dizzy is inserted 1 tooth retarded, easy fix

Bring the engine around to TDC (#1 cylinder on the compression stroke). Remove the distributor cap and show us the position of the rotor. Chances are....the distributor was removed and reinserted off a tooth as previously mentioned.

IF so, pluck the dizzy and reinstall correctly. This should give you the advance adjustments necessary to set the timing.

It should look like this, if it's a 1FZFE
DSC_4361.JPG
DSC_4359.JPG

So I rotated to 0tdc. My diz looked just like the one above. I pulled it off and realigned the marks on the diz shaft and gear. I put it back in and it still looks like above. Button it all up and I am able to adjust to 15btdc all the way past 0tdc.

I think perfect and set it at 6ish btdc. Runs like crap. Runs worse than it did when I could only get to 0tdc. I set it to 15btdc and it runs good but now my idle is 2k.

Either I didn't line the diz up as good as I thought or my timing light is ****ed or maybe the camshafts are not aligned?

What type of timing light are you using and is it setup correctly? Please ignore my post if you are experienced.

The basic timing light has no advance adjustment, the strobe needs to flash where the pointer on the harmonic balancer at the 3 degree mark on the timing cover. Rotate the distributor to change.

More sophisticated timing lights have an "advance dial" can be used in two different ways.
1: Set the advance dial to zero and adjust like the basic light above
2: Set the advance dial to 3 degrees and adjust to the "0" on the timing cover.

Most guys set the advance to 6 degrees for more performance as long as there is no pre-ignition (spark knock).

I just have a $40 timing light from Orileys. No settings on it just a flashing light.

Did you recently pull the harmonic l balancer? If you did, make sure you didn't push the little pin into the oil pan.

I've don't this before and my timing was all over the place.

I just have a $40 timing light from Orileys. No settings on it just a flashing light.

Did you put the ECM in base mode by inserting a jumper in the appropriate terminals in the diagnostic port before checking the timing?

I think perfect and set it at 6ish btdc. Runs like crap. Runs worse than it did when I could only get to 0tdc. I set it to 15btdc and it runs good but now my idle is 2k.

Something is not right.

15⁰btdc is too much advance.
You should be able to run up to about 10⁰btdc as a maximum, though not all 1fz-fe will be happy at 10⁰. Some will start pinging above 6⁰ advance.

I've been running mine at 10⁰with no pinging, but I think I'm gonna try adjusting it back to maybe 8⁰and see how it goes.

Maybe re-check you have the fuzzy gear algned correctly.
Also, maybe be worth verifying your harmonic balance is good, and not separated at the rubber.
Pull #1 spark plug and verify you are actually at TDC when the timing mark says you are

20210616_175349.jpg

20210616_175335.jpg

20210616_175300.jpg

0TDC, confirmed with spark plugs removed. Groove on diz lined up and inserted that's where my rotor ends up.

Should it be pointing more toward the diz plug edge?

It should be more clockwise depending on housing rotation. Get the bolt in the adjustment slot centered and the rotor should be pointed at about the edge of the plug connector.

You look to be off a tooth still.

I should also add in that position I can adjust all through the btdc range but it runs like s*** unless I have it at like 15 and the rotor is not pointing at the #1 plug.

If I install it so it is pointing at the #1 plug then I can't go further than 0TDC

It should be more clockwise depending on housing rotation. Get the bolt in the adjustment slot centered and the rotor should be pointed at about the edge of the plug connector.

You look to be off a tooth still.
That photo is with the bolt hole centered in the slot.

That's weird man. Something is off. I think the previous comments on checking your harmonic may be wise. It could be that the thing is seemingly close to on point but could be off a bunch of degrees either from missing key or separated halves. If you drop a long rod into the plug hole and watch the rise of the piston, does the timing mark coincide exactly with the movement of the rod stopping?

I'll take a pic tomorrow but that is what it looks like now and at that position I cant go past 0TDC. I reach max adjustment and cant rotate the diz any further.

I cant get it at anything in between the two photos either. I either look like the photo I posted or like the photo above. I've removed and replaced this thing 20 times.

That's weird man. Something is off. I think the previous comments on checking your harmonic may be wise. It could be that the thing is seemingly close to on point but could be off a bunch of degrees either from missing key or separated halves. If you drop a long rod into the plug hole and watch the rise of the piston, does the timing mark coincide exactly with the movement of the rod stopping?

I will check this tomorrow.

I've never removed it myself. I've only had this vehicle two weeks but the PO did do the head gasket so maybe they did something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom