QUESTION ON DESMOG OF STOCK FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got 204K on my stock '86 FJ60 rig and am moving to VA. As I understand it there is no requirement in VA to smog test as it is more than 25 yrs old. I've read through the everything FJ60 detailed instructions on the proper way to desmog a stock FJ60 and am considering going down this road with my stock '86 FJ60 for more power and to eliminate air pump. (Link below)
My question is do I need to hunt down one of these modified Jim C carbs or can I use/modify my stock Asin 2 barrel carb? If so, where do I find one? Also, do I need to get new distributor? Long time troller first time poster, so appreciate any sage advise before I proceed. Semper Fi, CTS

http://everythingfj60.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/How+to+Desmog+an+FJ60-2.pdf

MANY guys stick with original carbs, and just modify the dizzy.
But when I put my 87 2F together I didn’t have either.
I went with Performance Distrbutors and the Man-A-Fre Weber kit. Not cheap options - but works good.

19CF0E4F-9295-4EF0-9AB3-55D4760C3835.jpeg

598099DE-B233-4EAF-A785-7D367A01CF67.jpeg

122566EE-A542-4326-9BAE-8DC2979CB9D1.jpeg

3F9E70B1-AE02-4A01-96E5-802F1251BDA0.jpeg

Just a caution - the dizzy from Performance Distributors is HEI. I installed it at the same time I was doing a complete re-wire of my rig. So - do some research before you buy.

Hi, Jim C. Has stated modifications to the carb is optional but it runs better with it . Jim is pretty much the authority on desmog. Mike

I got a desmog kit from Jim C and went Weber and headers. Lots of purist on here that hate the weber option, but works for me....so well that I was set on getting an H55 and still might, but truck is so peppy now that the 4 speed doesn't bother me.
thumbnail.jpeg

Gentlemen, All very helpful feedback. Does any on have a link or contact info to purchase a Jim C. modified carberator and desmog kit? I see the Man-A-Fre 2F desmog kit is out of stock. I have the replacement Idler Pulley, but thats it. I read some not too positive threads on the cost vs benefit of running a DUI Distributor and not sure the juice is worth the squeeze and considering staying stock. Thanks again. Semper Fi, CTS

I did not do anything to my disti....you may not have too...here is what you get to remove if you desmog. Its a lot of stuff that can no longer go wrong. I still need to remove the fan that cools the carb after you shut the engine off. You can sell a bunch of the stuff too....I was on the fence about doing mine but my smog pump started making a loud clicking sound. Seemed like a good time and ended up finding some things that needed attention in the process....seems to always be the case:)
desmog parts.jpeg

Your stock carb works best. It does not need to be modified. If your carb has never been rebuilt, this would be a great time to send it in to Jim. I dizzy recurve is recommended, but I’ve gone thousands of miles on my stock dizzy.

Here’s everything you need

Desmog Parts List

From Manafre

EGR Block Off Plates

25601-INPLATE - 2F intake Block off plate with PCV port ($21.95)

25628-INTAKE - Inlet gasket ($19.99)

——————————

From Jim Chenoweth

fj40jim@gmail.com

To order: Send PayPal to Jim with note that includes the parts you need. His PayPal address is the email above.

Desmog Parts Kit #2 ($10 plus S&H)

-6 allen head plugs for AIR port in head

-2 allen plugs for the BVSV(s) in t-stat housing

pair of black hi-temp vinyl 22 & 25mm caps for air cleaner hose barbs

Additional parts from Jim

-EGR block-off plate ($30 plus S&H)

-OEM EGR gasket (25628-61060) $15

——————————

From McMaster-Carr

High temp silicone vacuum hose

McMaster-Carr

5041K22 - 40 feet

5041K741 - 10 feet

JimC for the win for me. Cleaned up a lot in the engine bay.

I am going to put my carb that I pulled up for sale if you are looking for one to send to Jim C for a rebuild.....I didnt want to be without my truck so went with the Weber.

the mechanical advance is ok on the dissy, but jimc's rebuild of the dissy really wakes it up. coupled with a nonusa carb with larger main jets really brings out the 2F.
dumping the weber was one of my better decisions, waiting so long to do so wasn't one.

2F-2017.jpg

the mechanical advance is ok on the dissy, but jimc's rebuild of the dissy really wakes it up. coupled with a nonusa carb with larger main jets really brings out the 2F.
dumping the weber was one of my better decisions, waiting so long to do so wasn't one.

View attachment 1661472
What kind of carb did you go with??

The reason for the dizzy re curve is to compensate for the lack of the EGR circuit. Without the re curve, you run the risk of high combustion temps and the possibility of blowing the head gasket. The stock dizzy advances faster and farther to compensate for the EGR gases being introduced into the intake.Good luck with the de-smog and make sure to box up all the smog stuff in case you ever have to put it back as it is all becoming scarce and expensive.:cheers:

Gents, Really appreciate all the great advise and detailed parts list to get the desmog done before i transfer to VA. I had the Aisin 2 barrel carb replaced with a reman from C-A Vasquez BFIC Fuel Systems in Burbank CA in 2011, so I should be good to go with the carb I have. Looking fwd to jumping into this and cleaning up the engine bay. I've been stranded twice by a seized air pump and not interested in a third. I will let you know how it goes.
Semper Fi, CTS

@Chris Steiny , There are a ton of great vendors on this site. I used the cityracer carb and would not look at anything else. Others have used Trollhole carb. Trollhole(Marshall) is a great resource but I have heard of many having trouble with the secondary functioning new out of the box. I have not had personal experience with the carb he sources but meeting him at Olde North State Cruiser functions lets me know he would do anything within his power to make it right. Having JimC rebuild and re curve an Aisin carb would be my first choice. As with any cruiser whisperer (JimC) you will get your carb back when you get your carb back. I have purchased all the de-smog components from JimC and everything worked flawlessly. Good luck with your move to the Commonwealth of Virginia (we are not even a state yet) and enjoy all the fire roads we have to offer.

It’s very easy to curve your own diz. I did it following a mudders directions. It’s cheap and works. A bunch have done it.

If one were to keep stock dist and carb, is it advisable to just plug the vacuum ports not used?

When saying 'carb rebuilt..' do we mean getting a carb rebuilt kit, take apart, clean and re-assemble? Or is there actual mods that are needed on the carb? Hence is advisable to send it to JimC?

The reason for the dizzy re curve is to compensate for the lack of the EGR circuit. Without the re curve, you run the risk of high combustion temps and the possibility of blowing the head gasket. The stock dizzy advances faster and farther to compensate for the EGR gases being introduced into the intake.Good luck with the de-smog and make sure to box up all the smog stuff in case you ever have to put it back as it is all becoming scarce and expensive.:cheers:

Anybody has shortcut to the dist re curve instructions? Or just searching here should do the trick?

Recurve Info-
The Rushing Turdle

IMHO this probably works well around sea level. I did it to my dissy and had worse performance. I also had springs come loose. "A man's gotta know his limits."

Jim C recurve was easily the best money dollar fort dollar I've spent on my 60 so far. Really put a spring in it's step.

That desmog article you linked is kinda confusing IMO. I will search for the diagram that made it click for me and post in a few.

Desmogged and tuned up a 2F can really be a nice motor, despite all the swapping that goes on around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom