question about value - 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
So, some may remember I posted a long time ago a nice blue FJ40 that I had purchased in 2004. I spent a year taking it apart and repainting it with my brother in law. Not knowing much about mechanics at the time, I decided to trade it for a quad and a snow machine about a year 2 years after owning it...

I am about half way through a mechanics apprenticeship and feel a little more confident in my abilities to repair the old land cruiser and have been offered the opportunity to buy it back.

I'm just wondering what she might be worth. The offer is $2500 but the paint is fading pretty badly, and the cancer has shown up again, and there really wasn't any work done to the engine...

Here are the pics that I had last posted. She did run fairly well, and is stock except for the bondo that was added when it was stripped and repainted. I don't know how many kilometres, it has the 3 on the tree - frame is in great shape, tub might need to be replaced to make it really pretty.

What would you pay for something like this?
attachment.php

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?
attachmentid=85780&stc=1&d=1154237765
attachment.php

I would probably pay $2500 for that but I would need to take a closer look. Good frame, running engine, pretty good body and that sounds like a good deal. You really don't need to buy a new tub. Just get some 16 gauge cold rolled sheet and make patches where needed.

Pretty sure i'm going to buy her back. I really enjoyed the beast. Just so damn expensive for parts, and so much time to reinvest in making it how I want. . . But, I suppose that is part of the satisfaction in the end. Totally wouldn't be buying a tub for a long while, that would be for if I ever did a complete frame off, which I don't think I'll do at this point.

Thanks for the advice.

Buy it, I paid more for mine which was in much worse shape than that one appears to be in.

why does it have to be pretty ? should wheel well regardless of how it looks :steer:

Hello everyone, been a long, LONG time. I had posted the above back in 2013. I think the value has gone up a lot, I am paying a bit more then 2500, but she runs, drives, and wheels. Plus, it's nostalgia. Many, Many, Many years later ... I BOUGHT IT BACK!
Hello, mudders, been a very long time. I am super stoked to be getting this ol' girl back.
Anyway, looking forward to wrenching on it soon. Disc brake conversion, power steering, probably an engine refresh over the winter. DRIVE it next summer and figure out where to go from there.
Wanted to share my excitement with you all. Hope you're having a fantastic week

FJ.jpg

Hello everyone, been a long, LONG time. I had posted the above back in 2013. I think the value has gone up a lot, I am paying a bit more then 2500, but she runs, drives, and wheels. Plus, it's nostalgia. Many, Many, Many years later ... I BOUGHT IT BACK!
Hello, mudders, been a very long time. I am super stoked to be getting this ol' girl back.
Anyway, looking forward to wrenching on it soon. Disc brake conversion, power steering, probably an engine refresh over the winter. DRIVE it next summer and figure out where to go from there.
Wanted to share my excitement with you all. Hope you're having a fantastic week

View attachment 3126176
Is it to much to ask the price difference from 2013 until now ? Only if you want to tell.

I

nah, I'll share - paying the brother in law 3000 - feel it's more than fair, the FJ40 is probably worth 10K (CAD) in its current state.

I certainly believe that is fair. I cannot see close up pics but given base values that is more than fair.

I have seen suped up bj40's and fj40's advertised for $200,000aud (had some improvements and upgrades, whether they got the asking price who knows)
either way, they don't build them like that anymore and never will, too repairable.

Need to start a build thread....maybe once I get the thing all torn down and start on the 1970, but I made some progress today, actually spent about half hour 40 minutes uninterrupted on the 40 tonight. ready for summertime cruising, got the top loose, one seat out, the start of roll-cage removal AND the doors off. Hope you all are having a decent Thursday!
summertimecruising.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom