Early FJ40 Bench Seat Value (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for the group, I bought a 1972 FJ40 and to be honest it was missing a lot of original parts. Over the past few months I’ve acquired a hard top, jump seats, and tire carrier paying about $1500 for everything. The only thing I’m missing to bring her back to original is the front bench seats. I currently have the opportunity to purchase a set for $1700 with the brackets and matching Sun visors. I’m wondering if this is a reasonable price? What should I expect to pay? Thanks!
IMG_9476.jpeg

IMG_9478.jpeg

IMG_9479.jpeg

IMG_9484.jpeg

They come up on here for sale occasionally I've seen em from 500 up, I bought a set for 300 without the center evap system, but will probably be in over 1000 by thr time I re upholster them, of course the seat pans were rotted out when I tore them apart. If the above set was in good condition no rips, original etc, might be worth a stretch for a bolt in and go.

Wow. Those look correct 72 units frame wise. Way more than I would pay for them, but I'm not a purest.

One has a tear that would need to be repaired. I would want to restore the frame which would mean disassemble them and recover. I would look around a bit to see what else is available. On the other hand it depends what else is available, they may be a good deal for you.

I believe the three piece back started 10/71, so these would be incorrect for '72. According to my fiche, those seats are from 03/69 through 09/71. Pic attached is from my 01/72 truck. That being said, if you're not a purist, if they fit, and the price is right, it's your truck do what you have to do.

20231217_160038.jpg

My 72 has the split back bench, that was there when I got it in 82, but then again it came with a 76 hard top (nice doors).

Never figured out when the split back actually started. Or if it happened all at once. I have a set out of a 71 with split back. I also parted out a May of 71. Aftermarket seats were mounted on the 71s seat bases. The passenger side have the brackets for the emissions plumbing to the center section. It also had the emissions tank in the right rear fender well. Split seat back and that tank were part of the same emission system. Seen many if not more 71s with two piece back passenger seat.

I believe the three piece back started 10/71, so these would be incorrect for '72. According to my fiche, those seats are from 03/69 through 09/71. Pic attached is from my 01/72 truck. That being said, if you're not a purist, if they fit, and the price is right, it's your truck do what you have to do.

View attachment 3509451

Interesting set of seats. Never seen a set in the US with the head rests. Possible just before the 9/72 switch to buckets. 73-75 the head rests are pretty rare. Guessing because they were an option not standard. I know the passenger seat back right foot changed forwards the end. It rotated a different direction than previous years.

My 10/75 I bought from the original owner in 2011 has the earlier style plastic knobs to release the back. This is not a restored 40 but a very clean rust one including original paint. Seats have been recovered but are original. Both plastic knobs are still intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom