Question about shift lock override button. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a ‘92 fj80 and in order for me to take it out of park I have to push the shift lock override button down. Even when I’m in the vehicle and my foot is on the brake, I still have to push the button down in order to move the shifter out of the park position. It’s my understanding that this would be required if I had issues with brake lights or something along those lines? All my lights work as they should and there doesn’t appear to be any issues as far as that goes, does anybody have any suggestions on why this is?
FFEDDD94-89C3-4DF7-82C2-8CBEF22A9A89.jpeg

That's interesting. On my US spec 96 1FZ-FE FZJ80, that "button" is covered by a plastic cap which, when removed, allows you to insert the vehicle key (*or a long, then screwdriver) into the hole and push down on the mechanical lock which then allows you to move the shifter out of Park. This is normally needed only when the vehicle isn't running (*transmission interlock safety), or the battery is dead, and you need to move the vehicle. In other words, it's an emergency use only thing.

I see that you're in Alaska, and would think this might be a specific safety addition to prevent anyone from moving the gear selector unintentionally, but there's also the thumb-button, so...

Hopefully, someone here has seen that before and can comment. I've never seen a US spec vehicle with anything like that before, though most have the emergency workaround, as specified above.

necro thread resurrection; mine started acting up the other day again. Previously it was blown brake light bulbs, but all my lights are working. Another interesting difference between the domestic and JDM models, my HDJ81 over ride switch is a big red button right on the shifter console; not hidden by a cover or needing a pencil to actuate.
Found this check list online

If the brake lights are not working – you’ve found the problem. Either the brake light fuse is blown or the brake light switch is faulty. These are the most common reasons for a shifter being stuck in Park.

Note: The connection between a faulty brake light switch and the shifter being stuck in Park is that a properly functioning brake light switch sends a signal to the shift interlock solenoid when the brake pedal is depressed, which causes the interlock solenoid to release the shifter. A faulty brake light switch does not send this signal.

Brake Light Switch Replacement Cost…
Repair Shop Cost: $75 to $100
Do-it-Yourself Cost: $7.00 to $35 (Cost of switch)

2) Faulty Shift Interlock Solenoid
If you’ve verified the brake lights are working correctly then the problem is most likely a faulty shift interlock solenoid. However, before replacing the interlock solenoid, use a digital multi-meter to rule out the problem being an open circuit in the wiring. In other words, if the electrical signal that causes the solenoid to lock and unlock the shifter is not reaching the solenoid because of an open circuit in the wiring — replacing the solenoid will not help.

The shift interlock solenoid is located underneath the shifter console right alongside the shifter lever. To access the shift interlock solenoid, you must remove the center console.

READ THIS Before Replacing the Shifter Interlock Solenoid: In some instances the shift interlock solenoid can malfunction when a beverage or other sticky liquid is spilled and leaks down through the shifter console and onto the solenoid or locking mechanism.

In these instances, cleaning the solenoid and locking mechanism with Q-tips and alcohol may resolve the problem.

Shift Interlock Solenoid Replacement Cost…
Repair Shop Cost: $140 to $200+
Do-it-Yourself Cost: $35 to $75 (Cost of solenoid)

3) Open Circuit
An open circuit in the shift interlock electrical system can cause the shifter to become stuck in Park if the open circuit interrupts communications between the brake light switch or the ignition switch and the interlock solenoid.

Check for power at the shift interlock solenoid. With the ignition switch in the “ON” or “RUN” position and the brake pedal depressed, use an digital multi-meter to check for power at the solenoid. If power is present, the shifter interlock solenoid is bad.

Cost to Locate and Repair Open Electrical Circuit...
Repair Shop Cost: $80 to $100+ per hour
Do-it-Yourself Cost: $0 (Require testing using a multi-meter)

4) Malfunctioning Ignition Switch
A less common cause for a shifter being stuck in park is a badly worn or faulty ignition switch. What happens here is that the ignition switch, (even after being turned to the “ON” position), does not send a signal to the shift interlock solenoid indicating that the ignition is ON. The shift interlock mechanism will remain in the locked position until the interlock solenoid receives a signal from the ignition switch indicating that it is in the “ON” position.

Ignition Switch Replacement cost…
Repair Shop Cost: $150 to $200+
Do-it-Yourself Cost: $25 to $75 (Cost of ignition switch)

5) Transmission Parking Pawl

The Transmission Parking Pawl is the least likely cause for a shifter being stuck in Park. But, it does happen. The two main factors that point to the parking pawl as the possible culprit are;

1) the shifter lock bypass procedure described above does not release the shifter
2) you are parked on an incline and you did not set the emergency brake before shifting into Park.
Here is some good info.

I've never seen a US spec vehicle with anything like that before, though most have the emergency workaround, as specified above.
Standard on the A440F. Toyota hid the button on later models.

Standard on the A440F. Toyota hid the button on later models.

👍

Right.

On later 80 series it under a small cap on the shifter tower (just above the Park marker).

On 100 series it is under a cap on the shifter panel area.

100 series:

Override.jpg

Override2.jpg

I just purchased a ‘92 fj80 and in order for me to take it out of park I have to push the shift lock override button down. Even when I’m in the vehicle and my foot is on the brake, I still have to push the button down in order to move the shifter out of the park position. It’s my understanding that this would be required if I had issues with brake lights or something along those lines? All my lights work as they should and there doesn’t appear to be any issues as far as that goes, does anybody have any suggestions on why this is?
View attachment 2937526
sounds like you have an issue with the shift lock solenoid, download the correct EWD for your truck and get to probing pins. that over ride is indeed an emergency release in the event you can't get the shifter out of park. take a look at this thread 92 fj80 shift lock solenoid - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/92-fj80-shift-lock-solenoid.1231801/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom