Question about exhaust: what else do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought (3) of them because I needed to use one, I wanted another to hoard, and a third in case one of the other two was poor quality. I did need to run a drill bit through the O2 sensor holes to clear out the weld BB's.
I thought I was bad, I bought one just to hoard did not need any 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Update:

I ordered everything on December 12th.

The Magnaflow y-pipe and a few days later the 2nd cat from O'Reilly. Received each within 2 days.

The Toyota gaskets and exhaust hangers from toyotapartsdeal.com. Received them on December 22nd. They sent them via USPS. I'd be pissed, but at least they sent them.

The Borla cat back exhaust system from jegs.com still have not arrived. Still no shipment notification. They say it is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. Someday, I guess. . There was never any notice before ordering that they didn't actually have the part. If I don't hear something soon I'm going to cancel the order and figure out something else.

Just wanted to bitch, I guess. I miss driving it.

Update:

I ordered everything on December 12th.

The Magnaflow y-pipe and a few days later the 2nd cat from O'Reilly. Received each within 2 days.

The Toyota gaskets and exhaust hangers from toyotapartsdeal.com. Received them on December 22nd. They sent them via USPS. I'd be pissed, but at least they sent them.

The Borla cat back exhaust system from jegs.com still have not arrived. Still no shipment notification. They say it is being shipped directly from the manufacturer. Someday, I guess. . There was never any notice before ordering that they didn't actually have the part. If I don't hear something soon I'm going to cancel the order and figure out something else.

Just wanted to bitch, I guess. I miss driving it.
The wait will be totally worth it. I had a broken flange on the second cat and thought I can ride out the noise. Got to the point I couldn't hear myself think lol now its nice and quite. I think the neighbors are happy as well 😆😆

I called Jegs again today. The rep told me there was no ship date from Borla, and she put me on hold and called them. She told me they said it MAY ship sometime in March. I promptly cancelled the order.

Since this Borla stainless cat-back is apparently unavailable from anywhere right now, and really missing driving my LX, I decided to just try going the Bosal cat-back route. The muffler seems to be readily available within a few days from lots of places. The tailpipe, not so much. I did find it on RockAuto, and ordered it. It said it was the only one remaining. I looked again after the order confirmation, and it said out of stock. I hope I got it.

They should both be here Friday. I'll give my muffler shop guy a heads up, and hopefully be in my beloved rotating DD again soon.

I sure would rather have sunk this money into an ARB bumper, new leather skins for the front seats, nice touch screen...

Finally got it all together and back home Tuesday. Real happy with it! I did have to replace the back exhaust manifold.
So, final costs:
O'Reilly Magnaflow y pipe $430
O'Reilly Magnaflow cat $272
RockAuto Bosal muffler and tailpipe $300
toyotapartsdeal.com OEM gaskets and hangers $100
manifold and labor $670 The guys at Muffler Brothers had never got to work on an 80 before, and seemed to really like my truck.
Total around $1800. Ouch.

I also went ahead and installed the OME steering stabiliser that Santa Claus brought. It is REALLY NICE to drive now, especially on my bumpy back road.

A little late, but wanted to add a pic of the ingredients..

20210107_171017.jpg

Finally got it all together and back home Tuesday. Real happy with it! I did have to replace the back exhaust manifold.
So, final costs:
manifold and labor $670 The guys at Muffler Brothers had never got to work on an 80 before, and seemed to really like my truck.

I also went ahead and installed the OME steering stabiliser that Santa Claus brought. It is REALLY NICE to drive now, especially on my bumpy back road.
$670 for labor? Ouch.

That $670 also included the exhaust manifold, so yes, still pricey, but not quite as bad. Also, they got me that exhaust manifold in one day, which I couldn't have done. I was really wanting my LX back.

That $670 also included the exhaust manifold, so yes, still pricey, but not quite as bad. Also, they got me that exhaust manifold in one day, which I couldn't have done. I was really wanting my LX back.
Ok that makes a little more sense. You were getting close to OTRAMM's cat back cost. This is a super easy diy job if you have a sawzall and a couple hours to spare.

So, final costs:

Good Morning! Any chance you can confirm that the gaskets between the manifold and y-pipe is
90080-43036? I sure would appreciate it.

Just looked up my order from December, and yes, 90080-43036

I bought (3) from O'Reilly's and got Magnaflow every time. I chose to get them locally so I didn't have to fight the return issue.
How can you tel the difference between Bosal and Magnaflow Y-pipes? I ordered the Magnaflow downpipe setup from O’Reilly last week. It looks like pretty good quality. Box was plain white with a little Magnaflow 23120 part # sticker on it. I don’t think the down pipe has any identifying brand markings on it.

How can you tel the difference between Bosal and Magnaflow Y-pipes? I ordered the Magnaflow downpipe setup from O’Reilly last week. It looks like pretty good quality. Box was plain white with a little Magnaflow 23120 part # sticker on it. I don’t think the down pipe has any identifying brand markings on it.
If the cat is round like a bullet it's a Bosal. If it's rectangular-ish then it's Magnaflow.

There are plenty of pics here showing the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom