Putting drum brakes on a 70 series FF rear- possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on a solution for getting my cable locker installed into my 11/80 Bj44. I may have found FF HJZ 77 rear axle but I probably have to install drums in order to pass inspection. I heard that rear drums can bolt on from a 60. My brakes are listed as the same numbers on Toyo-Diy. So- will it in fact be possible to swap my brakes onto the FF housing?

If so I just need to find a solution for the cable to the locker and I'm good to go.

Best-

Pete

The backing plate has a different bolt spacing between the two you mentioned. There are possibly more differences, but the backing plates are the main concerns.
Can't you find a FF BJ70 rear axle? That way you can pass inspection and fit the cable lockers.

Or try to pass inspection with rear disc brakes. That's what i would do...

HTH
Mark

Not sure about what this FF has but the short side axle will have to have the long spline to work with the locker. Unless this Axle already has a locker it probably wouldn't have the correct axle. Plus the opening has to be modified to fit the locker. I believe on the 70 series spring brackets have to be relocated. Surprised it's that hard to find a post 8/80 40 series FF axle in Japan. This would be the easiest conversion since the the axle is already set for the springs. If your hand brake is on the back of the transfer case the earlier 40 series FF axle could be a option also.

No luck on the bj70 stuff- yet. My hope was a 40 series- then an early 70 series with drums. Neither seem to be readily available. And yes I may just try to pass with disks and see if I can get away with it. IF I can not then I need to be sure that I can manage to get those backing plates on or else I will have a bunch of $$$ tied up in parts I can't use.

As for the axles I will use locker axles from a 70- should work fine from what I have read here...... I hope. The springs perches will need to be relocated- no problems with that. Not sure if notching the housing is needed for the 60 series locker or not.

Pete

The Toyota cable locker and E-locker are the same as far as what goes inside the axle. On the rear you need a special long splined on the short side. On the front you need a special long splined on the long side. You also need to notch the face of the axle housing to fit the locker in. I understand you can manage to get it in without notchin but it's not easy. On that 70 series FF the short axle should have longer splines then the long side. If it doesn't it's not going to work with the locker.

No luck on the bj70 stuff- yet. My hope was a 40 series- then an early 70 series with drums. Neither seem to be readily available. And yes I may just try to pass with disks and see if I can get away with it. IF I can not then I need to be sure that I can manage to get those backing plates on or else I will have a bunch of $$$ tied up in parts I can't use.

As for the axles I will use locker axles from a 70- should work fine from what I have read here...... I hope. The springs perches will need to be relocated- no problems with that. Not sure if notching the housing is needed for the 60 series locker or not.

Pete

Where are you located? While 40 FF axles are hard to find in the U.S., they should be far easier than finding a 70 FF rear. Check with SOR or cruiserparts.net.

Also, as someone else mentioned, you will need the special long-splined axle shafts for the lockers; I believe Poly Performance has them.

I'm in japan- and unfortunately it seems quite difficult to find much for anything over 15 years old........

In the end I may end up having to find something in the U.S. or Oz and ship it. Or I may just have to let the cable locker go. I had no idea it would be so difficult to find this kind of stuff here.

Why can't I use axles from a 70 series locker in a 70 series FF?

Pete

I'm in japan- and unfortunately it seems quite difficult to find much for anything over 15 years old........

In the end I may end up having to find something in the U.S. or Oz and ship it. Or I may just have to let the cable locker go. I had no idea it would be so difficult to find this kind of stuff here.

Why can't I use axles from a 70 series locker in a 70 series FF?

Pete

Axles from 70 series electric or cable locker came out of a 70 series FF. I'm having a hard time uderstanding where the problem is.

Does your 11/80 bj44 have a FF axle with 4 bolts holding on the brake backing plate?

Axles from 70 series electric or cable locker came out of a 70 series FF. I'm having a hard time uderstanding where the problem is.

Does your 11/80 bj44 have a FF axle with 4 bolts holding on the brake backing plate?

There shouldn't be a problem using the axle if had locker already. From what I understand Pete already has cable locker and looking for a FF to use it. If that is the case he needs the long spline axle.

If shipping would kill it I would be interested in the cable locker. But if you end going out of country Oz is closer and the FF was imported there.

There shouldn't be a problem using the axle if had locker already. From what I understand Pete already has cable locker and looking for a FF to use it. If that is the case he needs the long spline axle.

If shipping would kill it I would be interested in the cable locker. But if you end going out of country Oz is closer and the FF was imported there.

I wasn't sure if the OP realized that a late 40 series FF would work also. Are the long splined ss (rear) shafts still available through Toyota?

I bought the locker thinking that sourcing a 40 or 70 series FF with drum brakes would not be a big deal here in Japan. But it seems that the 40 really didn't come with the FF very often and the early 7o is hard to come by. I contacted the place that I bought the locker from (its out of a 60) and they said they would look for a 70 FF and the the 40 would be pretty damn hard to find. I've checked with some other sources here in Japan and the only FF axles that seem to show up are from 60 series trucks. However the place that I bought the locker has found the HJZ 77 FF and said that they have heard that 60 rear drums can be adapted. Well I know that they are going to charge a TON of money for the work. And my truck has the same rear backing plates etc as a 60 series. So it follows that I would rather do the work myself.

The locker will be supplied with axles from a 70 series rear locker that they had in stock. Even if they do not find the housing I will still get those axles as what I have read here on Mud is that they are the same as the FF 40 series axles.

So what I need to find out is how difficult it will be- or if it is even possible- to put/adapt the rear drum backing plates to the FF in pace of the original disks. If I can get away with running the disks then I'll pull the residual valve for the drums off the master and throw on a proportioning valve to the rear and call it a day. If not I'll have to fit the rear drums- or loose the whole shebang- which is IMO not an option.

I may be better off just waiting for a year or so and keeping an eye out. Or just getting rid of the locker and going another direction. (Why the hell didn't ARB make the locker activate with vacuum!!!!!!)

Best-

Pete

By all means, get the locker and shafts. You can put a lunchbox locker in the rear and put the cable locker in the front, save the rear shafts for a rainy day. Putting the locker up front is easy, get a long splined shaft from Mudraks and 2 long studs plus a rear 80 e-locked third gasket.

BTW, incase you weren't aware, cable lockers came in 3.70 and 4.10 so make sure your thirds match.

Thanks Folsom- I already paid for it. The shop gave me the option on the gear set. I took the 4.10 to match my stock gearing. I may also just toss it in the front- though I'm not really interested in stressing the birfs. My only concern with the lunchbox is snow driving- which I do a lot as the roads don't get cleared here.

Just curious- what does a FF housing go for in the states? If I can find one cheap enough I may just ship it over from there or Oz. But the price of shipping these days......

Pete

Unless you can find a complete 40 FF (minus third) from a mud member or vendor, it would probably be cheaper to bring a complete one in from OZ. Spector has bare housings for like $450, but by the time you add everything else in it'll be rather expensive. I completely understand the rear locker/snow comment.

Is the inspection thing really that strict when it comes to alterations to the braking system? I was always under the impression that the Japanese modify Supras and Skylines and such to the max and put big brake kits on amongst other things. If those cars can pass inspection i wouldn't understand why a 40 series with rear disc brakes wouldn't.
The parking brakes also work with the original cable to the rear axle, so that is no problem either.

If brake bias between the front and rear axle is a problem put a wilwood proportioning valve in the system.

I'd say go for the HZJ77 rear axle and bring it to the inspection place. Just go from there. If it fails, bolt the original axle back in and try again. Or have it passed with the original axle and bolt the 77 axle in right after inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom