First time for this question- rear disk to drum on a FF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bj44 in japan and I have bought a cable locker and am looking for a FF rear housing to put it into. In order to pass inspection I have to retain the rear drums. However at this point I have only been able to find an HJZ 77 rear Ff axle with discs. I MAY be able to sneak this thru- but there is a good chance that I will not be able to. I have heard that the rear disc models may be able to be converted to drums with a little work. Essentially the early drum systems on the 70 series use the same parts (backing plate/ drums etc) as my bj44 - late 1980. Is converting to drums doable? If so what is involved?

Here is a link to this same question posted on the 40 series tech board:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...g-drum-brakes-70-series-ff-rear-possible.html

Thanks-

Pete

HZJx and PZJ7 trucks can come with a disc rear end.

HZJ70
HZJ73
HZJ77

I'm sure there are others, but I only know what I see here.

~John

This HJZ77 axle has discs for sure. Just wondering if I the housing can accept the backing plates for drums easily.

Pete

Why on earth would you want drums when you can get discs?

If your parking brake is presently in the rear drums, then your "late 1980" is a 1981 model.

~John

Why on earth would you want drums when you can get discs?

If your parking brake is presently in the rear drums, then your "late 1980" is a 1981 model.

~John

I read this post a dozen times and arrive at the same conclusion.

I have a bj44 in japan and I have bought a cable locker and am looking for a FF rear housing to put it into. In order to pass inspection I have to retain the rear drums. e
I wonder why inspecion people would rather factory drums over factory disks

why not just buy a FF drum rear axle to start with?

contact Dave at Japan 4X4 and i am sure he can hook you up with what you need.

I wonder why inspecion people would rather factory drums over factory disks

The factory discs have factory drums in them... best of both worlds for an inspector.

The BJ7x series all had drums right up until the start of the 1990 model year. There are lots of 70 series full floating rear ends out there.

As Crushers has suggested, contact Japan4x4.

~John

The factory discs have factory drums in them... best of both worlds for an inspector.

The BJ7x series all had drums right up until the start of the 1990 model year. There are lots of 70 series full floating rear ends out there.

As Crushers has suggested, contact Japan4x4.

~John

around 92 all Aus 75 series come with rear disks. i had drum rear on my 75 seem to be a bit more maintenece than disks
But with his ? i maybe read it wrong but seems like he wants drum rear brakes for inspection not so much conserned about the hand brake( e brake )

My truck has a build date of 11/80- so it may be an 81 model. Actually Dave at Japan4x4 was the first person I contacted but he could not find any full floaters outside of a pair of 60 series axles with lockers. And yes- the issue is the inspection. The reason is that in Japan parts that are not designed to fit a particular application are not acceptable. Not every place is so strict and I may not have a problem. If I go ask the guys at the inspection center if its ok- of course they will say "NO." Find the number of threads in the 40 series forum about fiddling with proportioning valves and not finding a good balance, using "supposedly from this application" master cylinders, naming the residual valve for the drums a proportioning valve, rear brakes locking up etc. This is why in Japan an engineer certified to do so must OK modifications. Now in reality my bj44- a 500kg payload truck mind you- has no proportioning valve and the rear drums lock up before the fronts with no load in the truck. The thing goes sideways at the drop of a hat in snow and braking at the limit in wet can will see the rear lock pretty quick as well. So actually in my mind either way I should probably add a valve- even though I could get flagged for adding one.

Thanks for the replies-

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom