Purely out of curiosity, is it all that difficult to remove the engine/transmission? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Timely question. I am just getting ready to pull engine out do to PO low oil, and have local member doing head gasket in stall #2, and now have another local member with that sweet smelling exhaust. My point is that HG is not all that rare.

ANYWAY, back to my highjack..... do I have to pull the A/C condenser to get the engine out? I am planning on taking engine with tranny. I do have access to a forklift, so height is not an issue.

Idk if you have to but I did. Thats not very helpful but I imagine you'll end up pulling it.

Timely question. I am just getting ready to pull engine out do to PO low oil, and have local member doing head gasket in stall #2, and now have another local member with that sweet smelling exhaust. My point is that HG is not all that rare.

I agree with this, HG's are a common problem. Just not one I would do or suggest as preventative maintenance unless the truck was; poorly maintained, overheated multiple times and/or was actively showing signs of failure. I think the best course of action for the OP is to source a running / decent condition second engine and rebuild that, then transplant. It gives him the luxury of time to do the rebuild (not rushed to get it back in the truck) and no down time of his 80. Then he will have a fully "baselined" engine that will run for decades.

Infact if I were the OP I'd put hotter cams, port and polish the head and basically fully build it for NA power or FI power. This is giving me ideas :hmm:

Haha, i know its an issue, but as I said, not one I would tear an engine apart to fix if it aint broke.

Then again I have 3 other cars so if it goes down its not the end of the world.

Most people never have issues with it, but out of all the issues with a 80 HG are predominant. Make sense? ;)

Between people ignoring EGR problems until cylinder 6 is cooked and plastic radiator tanks separating (Edit: And Eaton fan clutches), yeah HG issues are more common with the 1fz-fe than with the 3fe.

But people still blow it out of proportion.

Last edited:
I vote to pull the engine and transmission. I just rebuilt my engine in the bay. Before I did, I read a ton on Mud to figure out the best approach. Many said to pull it because it's a lot easier to rebuild on a stand. Of course, I thought, "how hard can it be"? It's really not that bad in the bay, but there is a lot of calisthenics while rebuilding in the bay that you would not have to do when using a stand.

I vowed that if I ever have to do it again, I'll pull the engine and rebuild on the stand.

...just my $0.02

I vote to pull the engine and transmission. I just rebuilt my engine in the bay. Before I did, I read a ton on Mud to figure out the best approach. Many said to pull it because it's a lot easier to rebuild on a stand. Of course, I thought, "how hard can it be"? It's really not that bad in the bay, but there is a lot of calisthenics while rebuilding in the bay that you would not have to do when using a stand.

I vowed that if I ever have to do it again, I'll pull the engine and rebuild on the stand.

...just my $0.02

I have a friend who tears down and assembles engines all day every day at work.

I envy his job. Not his pay, but his job.

I'd much rather work on an engine that is on a stand. But my warnings about "While You're In There" remain.

I pulled my VW 1.6D on April Fool's Day and had it running in the car again on Halloween. Yeah, it's my first engine. Yeah, it's a bizarre build comprising parts from 1984, 1986, 1992, 1997, and 2005. But still.

How fast did you have your engine back into your truck?

Between people ignoring EGR problems until cylinder 6 is cooked and plastic radiator tanks separating (Edit: And Eaton fan clutches), yeah HG issues are more common with the 1fz-fe than with the 3fe.

But people still blow it out of proportion.

How can you diagnose an EGR problem on a OBD1 1fz-fe (I am assuming the early 1fz's are OBD1 right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom