Purchase Feedback (and how much rust is too much?) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, there are definitely some things that cause worry with this one, that being one of them. Also, it started out as a MA car, and I don't know how long it spent up there.

Ugh, sold weeks ago. Dealer does a slow job of updating site. :(
Hang in there, you will find something... You will have to be ready to jump on it at a moment's notice but your expectations and price range seem reasonable. BaT premium seems to be very high in my experience. Seems like if it's been posted for more than a week it's either sold or something is wrong with it.

Best of luck in the search @CakeMountain! Seems like there are a lot of us looking for these trucks right now. So I guess it's nice to have company!
Thanks @STLSwan. It's certainly been an education up until now. I've missed a couple because I waited too long, so you have to be quick on the draw (but not so fast you buy damaged goods). Good luck with your search!

I'm bidding here today - 2005 Lexus LX 470 - 1 Owner, Unmodified Lexus "Land Cruiser," Florida-Kept - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3ojJnaaV/2005-lexus-lx-470

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it goes low enough that the shipping costs don't push me over.
Just keep in mind that although the dealer claims no fluid shows up on the ground due to potential "undocumented fixes" to the issues the Lexus dealership found in July 2020,, a slow drip while running may just let out enough fluid for the undercarriage guards to catch and not let splash down on the pavement. Dollars to donuts those leaks are probably all still active.

Just keep in mind that although the dealer claims no fluid shows up on the ground due to potential "undocumented fixes" to the issues the Lexus dealership found in July 2020,, a slow drip while running may just let out enough fluid for the undercarriage guards to catch and not let splash down on the pavement. Dollars to donuts those leaks are probably all still active.
If the color and those issues scare away other bidders, there should be plenty left over to deal with any repairs.

If the color and those issues scare away other bidders, there should be plenty left over to deal with any repairs.
I showed this one to my wife (who's favorite color right now is any shade of teal), and her exact words were "ewww" :rofl:

So you might get lucky with this one! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

It's not just LC's that experienced a value hike last year. The used market was nuts for a couple months during the summer.

However, values have started to return to normal. I work for a company that does valuations for the insurance industry and we are almost back to pre-covid values.

BUT...a lot of people are still seeing the prices that these trucks were selling for back in August/September and thinking that's what theirs is worth.

It's simply not the case anymore. If you total it, what will you get for it? Thats your value.

I am waiting a few months before pulling the trigger on a new one. patience is key.

It's not just LC's that experienced a value hike last year. The used market was nuts for a couple months during the summer.

However, values have started to return to normal. I work for a company that does valuations for the insurance industry and we are almost back to pre-covid values.

BUT...a lot of people are still seeing the prices that these trucks were selling for back in August/September and thinking that's what theirs is worth.

It's simply not the case anymore. If you total it, what will you get for it? Thats your value.

I am waiting a few months before pulling the trigger on a new one. patience is key.
What price range/milage/condition are you waiting for?

I'm looking for an LC
Right at or above 200k with good maintenance records, i.e. timing belt done twice
Rust free isn't a major concern, but not falling apart. Surface rust is cool, I can do re-conditioning.
Average condition for the age is all I expect.

Priced between 7-9k depending on the truck.

I'm looking for an LC
Right at or above 200k with good maintenance records, i.e. timing belt done twice
Rust free isn't a major concern, but not falling apart. Surface rust is cool, I can do re-conditioning.
Average condition for the age is all I expect.

Priced between 7-9k depending on the truck.
I appreciate the insight. That's definitely more information to chew on.

Are you able to see into dealer auction prices? Those would certainly give great insight into where the retail market is headed.

No, purely used car market (dealers, auto trader, private sales, etc). I'm sure there is a way to chart auction prices.

I can just tell you what you'd get for your truck if you totaled it. That's the true market value, independent of "I kNow WHat I hAVE!"

After watching two auctions close today, it seems like now isn't the time for prices to settle down.

Yeah...there's a definite tax on those, lol. They usually represent the best versions of vehicles. Not a normal 20 year old toyota with a couple hundred thousand on it!
The one on C&B seemed pretty high. 210 k miles and previous cabin leak issues. Timing-water pump were both done at 205k. There was also the possibility of several unrepaired leaks mentioned. What it had going was a weird color and no rust. It went for 15,5. I'll just have to keep looking.

Yeah...there's a definite tax on those, lol. They usually represent the best versions of vehicles. Not a normal 20 year old toyota with a couple hundred thousand on it!
I'm still seeing hundreds move for crazy prices.... nothing seems to be going back to normal on the west coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom