Pulsing/droning vibration at highway speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might look at posts #22 and #26 by Trail Tailor on the Trail Tailor Rear Control Arms Installed thread.
He suggests starting with lower arms before upper. He also sells both the upper and the lower (I haven't purchased, just full disclosure...)

To follow up, I purchased the adjustable lower rear control arms from @TRAIL TAILOR. I adjusted them to somewhere around 3/8" longer than stock, pretty minimal. This has removed about 95% of my pulsing/droning at highway speeds (around 70mph). Very pleased with the result. Rear suspension is OEM shocks and OME 865 springs, so a pretty minimal lift, but it definitely had an effect on the pinion angle and appeared to cause the droning for me. YMMV.

To follow up, I purchased the adjustable lower rear control arms from @TRAIL TAILOR. I adjusted them to somewhere around 3/8" longer than stock, pretty minimal. This has removed about 95% of my pulsing/droning at highway speeds (around 70mph). Very pleased with the result. Rear suspension is OEM shocks and OME 865 springs, so a pretty minimal lift, but it definitely had an effect on the pinion angle and appeared to cause the droning for me. YMMV.

Any chance you can tell me the measurements of the oem links? Bolt center to bolt center? I swear I took a picture but can't find it now.

Been having a vibration through the car from 50 to 70 mph.

-Dropped the rear driveshaft and drove on the front diff, Vibes are gone.

-Replaced rear driveshaft with new OEM and vibes are back

Has anyone here done transfer case or diff bearings?
I would again drop the rear drive shaft and verify if the vibration goes away again.

I started another thread regarding similar symptoms. Mine is a vibration under my seat/pedal that starts at about 50mph. Gets worse as I accelerate to about 75. Never gone faster than that, but it happens as I accelerate. When I let off the gas it almost gets more severe for half a second and then calms down as i decelerate.

I went under the truck today and tried to wiggle the u-joints and the rear most u joint that connects to the rear diff has a little play in one of the axis. I was able to push up on it with two hands and it definitely moves at the joint. I assume this is not normal? None of the joints seemed to have this issue.

For me, this started after a winter camping trip where we had to drive through 14” of snow. Noticed the vibration on the freeway coming home. That was back in February

I started another thread regarding similar symptoms. Mine is a vibration under my seat/pedal that starts at about 50mph. Gets worse as I accelerate to about 75. Never gone faster than that, but it happens as I accelerate. When I let off the gas it almost gets more severe for half a second and then calms down as i decelerate.

I went under the truck today and tried to wiggle the u-joints and the rear most u joint that connects to the rear diff has a little play in one of the axis. I was able to push up on it with two hands and it definitely moves at the joint. I assume this is not normal? None of the joints seemed to have this issue.

For me, this started after a winter camping trip where we had to drive through 14” of snow. Noticed the vibration on the freeway coming home. That was back in February
Take the rear drive shaft off, lock the center diff and go for a drive. You will know immediately if it was the rear!

Take the rear drive shaft off, lock the center diff and go for a drive. You will know immediately if it was the rear!
Is it really that simple? Do I need to do anything else?

Nope, dead simple. All 8 bolts and nuts (4 on each side) are 14mm.
I will be doing that today! I just didn’t want to take it off and have it leak diff fluid or something. I will put match marks on there so it’s connected back the same way.

Also, if the u joint is the issue, how much harm does that do driving like that? I’ve put about 500 miles on it with this vibration issue and likely need to put about another 500 before I can get it replaced, unless it’s really bad to drive like this?

Also, if the u joint is the issue, how much harm does that do driving like that? I’ve put about 500 miles on it with this vibration issue and likely need to put about another 500 before I can get it replaced, unless it’s really bad to drive like this?
The worst it's doing is probably just annoying you 😆.

So things move VERY SLOWLY in my world right now (two little kids, a commute and just moved) but I plan to pull the rear shaft in the next few days to try and isolate the vibration....

Just to clarify I can remove the shaft and drive at freeway speeds without issue? I don't need 4WD right now, so I am fine driving around in 2WD as long as it doesn't mess anything up.

Also I started another thread similar to this before I found this one so I just wanted to link it here in case anyone else came across it.
Front end vibration 60+ mph

When you remove the rear drive shaft and lock the center diff, you will be essentially in a front wheel drive (think Corolla)! Theoretically it should be safe to drive like that indefinitely regardless of speed. In practice I wouldn't drive more than a few miles, just to isolate the vibration issue.

I had more of pulsing at 60 mph noticeable with a mild incline. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. I have seen this on other forums. It isn't constant like a drive shaft or a tire. I had cleaned the MAF, changed the FUEL filter as well.

I have a noticeable vibration/wheel hop feeling coming from my passenger front wheel area at specifically 45 mph. My LC is lifted with the Iron Man Pro Cell lift with 35s, diff drop and Nitro UCAs. The knuckle has had its wheel bearings replaced last year along with steering end links and LCA bushings replaced. Recently I have greased the u-joints and driveshafts. I do have a torn axle boot which I am planning on replacing soon.

For now I have rotated the wheels to see if the vibration is transferred to the rear, but it still stays the same. Would a torn axle boot for the past couple of months be the cause of this? Or a castor issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom