Pulling glass from sliding windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Is there any real trick to it, or does it just pull right out? I want to get the frames powdercoated and clean up the glass as best I can before having 'em installed.

Spook -
Pull the division bars after removing screws AFAIK. Then spread the frame top to bottom & pull the glass out, one at a time. You can bend the glass a little, just don't exert any pressure on the edges, especially with a hard object like a screw driver or pry bar. Scribe each piece deeply where it won't show so you can still see it with the powdercoating., ideally with matching numbers at mating points.

Would like to find out how to get new weatherstripping for mine.

I got new weatherstriping for mine. I'll dig up where and what I got.

Also, you will want to make sure the powdercoating doesn't cover up the small drain holes at the botom of the window frame. That's where water drains out instead of sitting in the bottom of the window frame.

Tinker said:
Spook -
Pull the division bars after removing screws AFAIK. Then spread the frame top to bottom & pull the glass out, one at a time. You can bend the glass a little, just don't exert any pressure on the edges, especially with a hard object like a screw driver or pry bar. Scribe each piece deeply where it won't show so you can still see it with the powdercoating., ideally with matching numbers at mating points.

Would like to find out how to get new weatherstripping for mine.

Why scribe? I assume something to do with orienting the glass when you put it back in, or orienting the whole assembly on the truck?

WOOHOO just picked 'em up from the post office. Haven't even unpacked 'em yet.

Hey euclid, how many sections of that weatherstrip did you order? How about single channel stuff for the ends of the frames?

2 lengths of it were just shy of enough to do the 2 windows. I used a tiny bit of the old stuff.

Don't know what you mean on the single chanel stuff... more info.

I don't see a reason to scribe them either. There is only one way the glass goes back in and latches correctly.

FYI, if you are going to tint the glass do it before you put the glass back in the frame. Tinted mine afterwards and it looks just a tinny bit better than crappy.

Spook50 said:
WOOHOO just picked 'em up from the post office. Haven't even unpacked 'em yet.

Hey euclid, how many sections of that weatherstrip did you order? How about single channel stuff for the ends of the frames?

euclid said:
2 lengths of it were just shy of enough to do the 2 windows. I used a tiny bit of the old stuff.

Don't know what you mean on the single chanel stuff... more info.

I don't see a reason to scribe them either. There is only one way the glass goes back in and latches correctly.

FYI, if you are going to tint the glass do it before you put the glass back in the frame. Tinted mine afterwards and it looks just a tinny bit better than crappy.

I was assuming that the windows didn't slide all the way to the ends and that single channel would be needed for that. Nevermind, I figured it out though :D

I don't plan on having mine tinted, since I want as good visibility as I can get. How secure are they though? Any good method of locking 'em or anything like that?

I haven't looked into an extra lock or way of securing them. They latch securly, but I have heard that they can be opened really easy. Only thing I have thought of is that you could put a piece of wood or steel in the chanel, but that would only work on one of the pieces of glass.

Scribe the parts so they go back together as they came apart. Sure, you can mix 'n match, but why?

Thanks for the tip on the weatherstrip, Euclid!.

If you tint the glass before installing, be sure to leave it off the edges that go into the weatherstrip or it will come off as you use them & scrunch up the edges.

To each his own, but I couldn't tell a difference between the glass, so I didn't worry about putting it back where it came from.

If I had it to do over again I would tint all the way to the edge. There is enough play once the glass is back in the frame so that there is always an edge showing that isn't tinted. There is also a 1/4" space that isn't tinted past the center arm.

The center arm is going to rub the tint every time I open it in that direction. I am a tiny bit woried about scrunching up the edges and stratching the tint, so I try to remember to open the other side instead. In the end, it is easy to re-tint the back windows if the tint gets screwed up.

Tinker said:
Scribe the parts so they go back together as they came apart. Sure, you can mix 'n match, but why?

Thanks for the tip on the weatherstrip, Euclid!.

If you tint the glass before installing, be sure to leave it off the edges that go into the weatherstrip or it will come off as you use them & scrunch up the edges.

Had someone ask for clarification on the weatherstrip I used, maybe the tinyurl isn't working correctly.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...01&sku=ZX184894B+&searchbtn.x=2&searchbtn.y=9

I_184894_SW_1.jpg

thanks Greg!!! Anyone have an OEM part number?

bk

When it rains, it pours! You guys are the best. Now all I have to do is sit down and make sense of these two much-needed threads. But I could still use a step-by-step if someone has the patience and inclination. Many thanks!

Euclid - tried to tear into my new ones last night... what did you do for the drain holes in gasket - when you used the new kind? Cut holes or let the new rubber block them?

having a :censor: of a time getting the 2nd window out. Pulled screw from divider etc. Must have missed something... Maybe two screws?

:cheers:thanks for the link and thread on this! Sorry for ancient revival!

rob

Single screw both top & bottom: I used an Xacto knife to cut the drain holes in the new channel run. It's a PITA.

Tinker - awesome!

How are yours holding up so far? Sealing well etc?

so - dumb question - if they are mounted into the truck - how do they drain? I'm assuming they must stick out a bit for the drains to run down the body?...
Every pic i've seen has been from the side, so couldn't see any depth of them, or the profile.

thx!

rob

Sl3 -
So far so good, but it's a garage queen: I don't leave it out in the snow.

I posted pix here after they were finished, but not from the side. If I remember I'll measure when I get to work tomorrow (it's in the shop).

I've got some that came "extra" in my new Cruiser. Just trying to figure out how to put them in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom