Pull a Part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the midst of searching for a 420, so far have tried about 10 yards with no luck. There is one massive u-pullit within about 30 minutes, where if they had one it would be about $40, however, as embarrased as I am to say it, :-[I have never been to a junkyard before, much less a upullit. Cut me some slack, I've only been around cars for 2 years or so.
Anyway, I'm assuming I would bring a small tool box with some SAE ratchets and other tools, and a floorjack. I would then go to the yard, find a truck that may have a 420 underneath it, then drain the fluid and see if there are any massive chunks of metal and if all goes well, just take a friend and muscle that tranny out from underneath with a floorjack? I'm assuming it wouldn't be much different to take out than the 3 spd from my 40?
Sorry for my apparent inexperience and incompetence, I just wanted to know what I was getting into if I happened to make the trip to the upullit.

You can do some things at a u-pull-it that you wouldn't want to do with your own junk. Cutting wires and cables makes it a quicker job and gets you the clips and plugs you might need at a later date. They usually don't charge anything extra for stuff hanging off the part you buy so keep as much linkage as possible. cut the driveshafts and keep the flanges.
You can also do things like find a couple of old tires and pull the trans so it drops on the tires. It's not always so easy to use a floor jack. Chain or strap the trans up when you take the crossmember out. Bring a big honkin breaker bar and a hack saw for when bolts don't want to co-operate. If you have a good battery operated sawzall, it would be worth binging it as well. A big prybar will be your friend.
Beware - the pick and pull is very habit forming. Everytime I send a student there they become one more of us that go there when we have time and a vauge notion that we might need something, just to poke around and see what we can find.

call the place and tell them what you are coming to pull, then ask them what tools they have for you to use.
if none, ask what you should bring.

my favorite tools are: my friends and their tools.

Do most u-pullits allow you to drive your car up to the junk?
If so I may be able to use pneumatic tools off a york soon.
I called my mechanic and hes helpin me out cause he spends a lot more time in junkyards than I do.

I know the yard you are talking about. You can't take jacks, power tools or air tools in the yard. I would recommend taking rope and plenty of tools. I take a chisle and hacksaw as well as a good pair of cutters.

The yard is all gravel. The cars are all lifted some, sitting on welded steel wheels.

BTW get there 30 minutes before they open or you will have a very long day. They get extremely busy.

Are you headed to the north lot (norcross) or south lot (near airport)?

The last time I was at the south lot I only saw 1 SM420 and I got it. I am not sure about the north lot.

Make sure you print the pricing off of the internet as well as the car locations you want to visit.

If you go the south lot, go to one of the checkout stands with the ladies, there is a blonde headed man that will try to charge you for very little thing.

Brad- I was planning on the north lot, its closer to me I think. What should I take to let the transmission down on? Would they let me take the tranny hump off so I could lower it down with rope? What did your 420 come out of?
My mechanic will probably be able to find one, if not, I have another shade-tree type mechanic in North Carolina that could probably help me find one too. (The mechanic that was across the street when I had the clutch incident on the farm in Murphy)

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27245 date=1058389797]
You can do some things at a u-pull-it that you wouldn't want to do with your own junk. Cutting wires and cables makes it a quicker job and gets you the clips and plugs you might need at a later date. They usually don't charge anything extra for stuff hanging off the part you buy so keep as much linkage as possible. cut the driveshafts and keep the flanges.
You can also do things like find a couple of old tires and pull the trans so it drops on the tires. It's not always so easy to use a floor jack. Chain or strap the trans up when you take the crossmember out. Bring a big honkin breaker bar and a hack saw for when bolts don't want to co-operate. If you have a good battery operated sawzall, it would be worth binging it as well. A big prybar will be your friend.
Beware - the pick and pull is very habit forming. Everytime I send a student there they become one more of us that go there when we have time and a vauge notion that we might need something, just to poke around and see what we can find.
[/quote]

Now I know its people like you that piss me off,as you cut and yank everyhing so when people like me need it its shot,fine job Gumby man and your a autoshop teacher good role model you are

They have wheel barrows for you to use to carry the parts or you can arrange for them to bring a lift down and carry it back to the front for you. I just lowered it to the ground and drug it out from under the truck. Yes, you can take anything off you need to make your job easier. I try not to damage much removing the items. I will cut speedo cables and the such, but try not to wreck other valuable parts.

I got mine out of a '61 2 ton truck. It was in un-believable shape. There was very little dirt on the case, no metal in the oil or on the magnets and I can't see any wear patterns on the gears or the sycros. I got really lucky. :D

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27309 date=1058400615]
They have wheel barrows for you to use to carry the parts or you can arrange for them to bring a lift down and carry it back to the front for you. I just lowered it to the ground and drug it out from under the truck. Yes, you can take anything off you need to make your job easier. I try not to damage much removing the items. I will cut speedo cables and the such, but try not to wreck other valuable parts.

I got mine out of a '61 2 ton truck. It was in un-believable shape. There was very little dirt on the case, no metal in the oil or on the magnets and I can't see any wear patterns on the gears or the sycros. I got really lucky. :D
[/quote]
If only I had started looking a little earlier... :-\ :D
I'm planning on rebuilding mine regardless, just to know its done, and so I know what I'm doing in case it ever needs it again.

[quote author=wayne_fj40 link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27300 date=1058399072]
Now I know its people like you that piss me off,as you cut and yank everyhing so when people like me need it its shot,fine job Gumby man and your a autoshop teacher good role model you are
[/quote]

woah there big guy....maybe if you got there first you wouldnt have to worry! suck it up dude.

[quote author=wayne_fj40 link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27300 date=1058399072]
[/quote]

While I agree there is some extra attitude that wasn't needed, He does bring up a valid point. I used to work at a local salvage yard that was a "closed" yard. The yard used to be "open" to the public to pull their own part, but it got real old to go to a Corrado (VW yard) that some bozo cut a hose (some hoses in a Corrado listed for $120 dealer price) rather than undo a clamp, or cut a wiring plug instead of taking 3 extra seconds to find the clip to unplug it properly. I'm all for getting a "whole" part, plugs and all, but dismantle so you have a proper assembly to graft into your rig. It's only going to cost a few dollars more to bring a complete wiring harness to a counter and pay for it, but you'll hate what a part can cost when your local favorite yard gets sick of chopped parts in cars and "closes" the yard. And you can bet your ass you will pay for each itemized part if the yard is pulling it.
Plus, if you take a complete sub-harness, you don't have the amatuer-looking splice terminal with tape or heatshrink tubing right next to your new part. Take it as you will, but people sure pissed and moaned when the yard closed and they had to pay out the nose, but there wasn't any reason it had to happen if people had a little more common courtesy.

---Steps down off the soapbox and zips up his flame suit. ---

---Ben

[/quote]

Yup, that's right. I cut and yank everything I might need because I have had quite a few times where I have needed a reverse light connector or a yoke that I left behind. As I said, they often don't charge you more if you take that stuff the first time, but they sure charge you when you go back. When my kids pull something in my shop, whether it's scrap or not, they pull it the right way. At the pick and pull, pull it like the owners do, fast and complete.

I'm gonna refrain from make snide remarks 'cause I'm a role model and all. :D

I can relate to wayne_fj40 and Linus as I too have gone to the yard to look for 'Cruiser parts which we all know are scarce to start with only to find out that the clown before me clipped the wires and cut the metal that was in the way of whatever he wanted. Now the widgit that I needed was ruined and the dealer can't get it 'cause its 20 years old and out of production and I'm hooped!! Have consideration for those coming after you and take the stuff out as if it was your own parts rig. You may be the guy coming back next week when the widgit you destroyed this week gives out on your rig!!
I'm talking about pulling parts off 'Cruisers (not the other "dime a dozen" cars) where you're lucky to find one in a wrecker anywhere close by.

no need for flame suits, we arent like that here!

anyways, on a 61 truck, there isnt much in the way to begin with, and its a chevy so theres lots of parts around for it! another example: i needed a 2.8 intake from a front wheel drive car. i just yanked the cables and cut the vacuum hoses with my knife. didnt think twice about it because there was at least 100 more cars with that intake! if they cant find the part they need because i cut it off, then they can go to the next car! maybe if it was a model A or something, i'd be careful...but on a 61 chevy who the fawk cares! 8)

The "clown" might very well have been the yard itself. They don't preseve every widget when they pull a part. They just go at it with the torch.
If you go to the yard and unbolt the exhaust when you remove a chevy trans so the next guy can get the exhaust doughnuts, then you are a nicer guy than I am.
It's important to remember we are not talking about a cruiser here, nor are we talking about somebody's parts rig. We're talking about a wrecking yard. Around where I live, the vehicle is going to be crushed within a couple of weeks of going in the yard, take what you can.
CrusinGA - decide how you want to take it apart when you get there. If you want to spend the time unbolting the driveshaft so the next guy can get the flange you might need, go for it.

All just my opinion, of course. No need for flamin'

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27373 date=1058414844]
The "clown" might very well have been the yard itself. They don't preseve every widget when they pull a part. They just go at it with the torch.

It's important to remember we are not talking about a cruiser here, nor are we talking about somebody's parts rig. We're talking about a wrecking yard. Around where I live, the vehicle is going to be crushed within a couple of weeks of going in the yard, take what you can.

All just my opinion, of course. No need for flamin'
[/quote]

I guess it is a matter of perspective. The yard I was at didn't need a torch, since most vehicles were at most 10 years old. But as a employee, I saw more than a few new guys get chewed for slashing hoses or cutting cable shifters on limited availability cars. Standard practice for us was to pull, catalog and warehouse the powertrains and major interior components (seats, door panels, dashboards)and pull the body out into the yard. I guess the yard content was maybe a bit more valued than your local wrecker, since nothing was ready to be crushed until it was a bare unibody. I knew of some cars that were there 5 years - no joke.

My biggest gripe was when somebody would inevitably pull a sunroof panel "open days" and leave the cabin open to all the WA rain - come on, there were plenty of hoods laying around so it was 45 seconds to cover an interior that you might need a part out of later.

That being said, I don't claim to be an angel when a hose clamp is corroded past working, or anything like it. I guess I was thinking of cars where more people would have an interest in decent, newer condition stuff. Not cars that were in "crusher row" (our name for the death row of cars next time the crusher showed up)

I guess ours weren't really high turnover cars.

Thanks for letting an ex-junkyard employee vent.

---Ben

[quote author=LINUS link=board=1;threadid=3712;start=0#msg27382 date=1058417767]
My biggest gripe was when somebody would inevitably pull a sunroof panel "open days" and leave the cabin open to all the WA rain - come on, there were plenty of hoods laying around so it was 45 seconds to cover an interior that you might need a part out of later.
[/quote]

oh dear i MUST take a pic of the junkyard i shop at....a joke quite honestly. hell, windows, doors, hoods, trunks, its all open! oh just gonna use the tranny from that car? throw the motor on the ground next to it! thats pretty much how it goes there :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom