PTO winch modification/porch removal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have a plan to reduce the front porch on my factory PTO set up. I know it’s more of a novelty but I’d like to keep it and use it.

I know there are threads about making the factory PTO fit inside of an ARB, but does anyone know if there is a viable way to cheat it back, even just inch, without compromising it? I haven’t pulled it apart yet, I don’t plan on touching it until I start to work on the bumper, so I don’t know for sure but it looks like the real limiting factor is the PTO driveshaft. I can see how could find a little room otherwise.

E3724C6B-D30C-4BFE-AA59-973FC194C2BE.jpeg

05B41502-7571-4DB3-B952-04D3893D0397.jpeg

Might be easier to leave the winch alone and modify the new bumper to fit around it. It may be as simple as extending the bumper mounting stingers an inch, which would be easier than pulling the drive shaft and getting it shortened.

Why do you want to move the front bumper back? You don't like the factory look? Just curious.
Might be easier to leave the winch alone and modify the new bumper to fit around it. It may be as simple as extending the bumper mounting stingers an inch, which would be easier than pulling the drive shaft and getting it shortened.

Hey thanks for the replies.

So @WarDamnEagle I'm going to wheel it, but the overhang from the porch makes it basically unusable in the rocks. My goal is to keep it as stock as possible but capable enough to do the trails I want to tackle. I already have the bones of a plan to modify the old front bumper and supports to bring the factory bumper in several inches, cut down the factory chrome bumper and put it back over the new supports to keep the original look and reuse the factory PTO skid plate, which is pretty burly. It wouldn't even require any welding just cutting some things, turning some things around and drilling a couple of holes. If I could cheat the winch in an inch or so closer, that would be all the better.

@Owyhee Jackass That's basically the existing plan and that'll get me several inches, but if there was any way anyone had figured out to move the winch back that would help me snug it up even further. Since there isn't a ton of room between the winch and the grille and front support it isn't worth spending a ton of money or fab on, and my goal is to keep it as close to stock as possible. There's a little bit of spline sticking out at the yoke at the winch on the PTO shaft. I haven't measured the spline but it looks like there's a solid 1/2 inch sticking out, I'm thinking about pulling the shaft out and cutting the spline down that sits in the yoke whatever that difference is and bringing it in that amount, I'm just not sure how much actually spline there is inside of the yoke.

@MyCruiserisaHogBeast
Any progress on your bumper mods? I plan to dig in to mine this spring with a similar idea of keeping the PTO in place and bringing in the stock bumper or building something around it. I am curious how much you were able to bring in the stock bumper to the PTO. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've just done a similar thing with my 60 series front porch.
I think that it has a lot of advantages, but my wife was already complaining that we'll loose those handy storage places while camping.....It was indeed quite comfy to sit on them and look out into the far with a fresh beer in your hand.
But it ALWAYS looked so bold and not proportioned. Now I'm glad that I did it ...looks way better, is less heavy, the aproach angle has improved and the turning cycle is also smaller too. I have more pics for those who are interested here: Bumper for Factory PTO Winch? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bumper-for-factory-pto-winch.1064643/#post-13682404
By the way - its an 70 series worm gear inside now. I got a complete spare winch a while ago and the opposite direction of rotation as opposed to the 60 series winch came in handy now.

Note in the last pic - just prior to dismanteling - my design/cutting line ideas on the porches and frame extensions.

L1430239.JPG
L1430311.JPG
L1430189.JPG

Last edited:
Many years ago on a Nissan Patrol (very similar PTO) I sucked the winch all the way back.

I shortened the PTO shaft. Put a bigger sleeve through the frame rail and made a front bumper to suit.

6E4EA1B6-FB4B-41FD-9484-57A839077336.jpeg

I see no reason you can’t do the same with a Cruiser although I have yet to see it done.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom