Owyhee's 2+ Ranch 45 LPB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been meaning to start a thread to document and keep track of updates/modifications to my 45 for some time now.

Pic not too long after bringing it home. I think @ginericLC has a photo of it on the trailer on my way back from the purchase. I know he's shared them with me, but nop clue where they ended up. Most likely on a dead hard drive somewhere.

Gottsch_45.jpg

Here’s a link to a Pirate thread started by Ken, @MOTOV8R back when I had no digital camera.

Not much has changed since then, been through 3 sets of wheels and tires, the swampers on 60 series wheels, some 37” MTR’s on black steel wheels and now the Duratracs on some 16” ‘Smoothies’. Went down to 35’s with the Durtracs. It’s still got 4.88 gears, and it’s a bit low-geared now with the smaller tires, but it doesn’t see the highway too often. My wife drives it to work in the summer and that’s about the most it gets driven anymore.

Here's how it looks currently on the 35's.
20201109_185910.jpg

Last edited:
I've been worried the corner-glass was going to fall out and this summer one of them finally did, luckily the top was off and sitting on the ground...

So, I finally ordered some replacement seals from City Racer and got them installed this weekend, just in time for our first snow. I've never installed windows before, I'd recommend wearing gloves as I've got a nice blood blister from pulling on that rope. Definitely helps to have a friend help with this.

20201106_144425.jpg

Also noticed the OEM (big window seal) rubber was way more pliable than the aftermarket/repro rubber seals.

I also replaced the wing-window rubber a few weeks ago. I remember giving a guy $100 for these way back when and he took so long to reproduce them, I gave up and asked for a refund...fast forward 15 years and my windows were being held in with gorilla tape, so I googled and found that Kurt has them in stock and about the same price I think. I didn't do a great job and mitering the corners, but it's better than gorilla tape.

One of the old seals.

20201025_121924.jpg

and the new one installed.
20201109_185706.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I've had a few people over the years ask me when I am going to paint it. I don't think that I ever will, I like the patina.

Here's a link to a thread with some pics of the roll-bar and shoulder belts I installed years ago. I've since relocated the shoulder belts a bit as I had mounted them too high and the belt rubbed my neck which was irritating.

20201109_185821.jpg

Great thread!!
I have some pictures of when you came down to CA for the last 45 Run at Mud Lake. You took the top off and set it on the ground and then we all set out for a little wheeling! We played on the left over snow behind Kirkwood!
I'll have to look for those. Long time ago. My son was with me. He was pretty young. Now he is a Senior at Boise State! Time flies!!

I remember that, I can't find those pics either. I keep thinking I'll drive down again for that event, but am always busy Labor Day weekend.

Seems like I was just a senior at BSU too...but I guess it's been 20 years.

Here's a pic from a run in '07-ish when it still had the swampers, I think that's about the same year I went down to the 45 run too.

P2110017.jpg

Last time I bought wiper blades for this thing I got them at a local vw shop that is now out of business...got these on Ebay. Empi 98-9566-B for a 58-64 vw.

Not sure my arms are stock, these are 10" long and screw onto the arm.

IMG_20210202_174901437.jpg

IMG_20210202_174958531_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210202_175042908.jpg

Pulled the top and doors off today and tried out my 'new-to-me' vinyl half doors. I usually just don't bother with doors in the summer, but the dog isn't a fan of the no-door thing and he's a bit unpredictable, I think I need to get him a harness and tether him to the roll cage.

IMG_20210402_143124638_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. They're a little small for my gearing. I had 37's on it for the last 15 years, with 4.88s. I need to re-gear, go back to 37's or maybe find a 5-speed to stick in it. It's wrapped out at 60 mph now on the new 35's.

Last edited:
The rubber on my 'new' VW wiper blades lasted 8-months...bought a 10-inch Bosch rear wiper blade, pried it open, swapped the new Bosch blade into the VW arm. Hope this solution will last.

IMG_20211024_095433410.jpg

Also changed out my t-stat upper and lower housings, plus a new t-stat and new oil cooler circuit hoses. All except for a tiny two-inch section that looks like I'll have to pull the radiator to access. Might be able to get to it if I pull the power steering pump and ac compressor. Didn't feel like taking it that far apart yesterday, so I put that on the back-burner. Judging from the condition of the other hoses I removed/replaced, I should probably do that one sooner rather than later though.

Got a complete kit from city-racer with the housings and gaskets. Old one someone had somehow threaded in some coarse-threaded SAE 3/8-16 bolts, that were too long and had a stack of washers to make up the difference. New kit came with new hardware as well. Nice. Should have ordered the new hoses at the same time. Didn't notice how bad a shape they were in until I pulled the thermostat housings off.

IMG_20211003_080534892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211003_082647515_HDR.jpg

Just acquired this:
IMG_20211030_095719756_HDR.jpg

Plan to order a mounting plate and bumper re-enforcement and install on the front of the 45. I've been wanting to do this for years. Hope to get it done in the next few months.

:confused:

I thought you told me that the bed rack you sold me 15 years ago was on that truck when you bought it???

BTW, I’m still enjoying it…15 years later. 😊

No, I bought it from the guy who built this 45:

He pulled the bed off, and made a rock crawler, now its getting re-built 'Project Ugly Duckling'. The bed bar was on the bed that was pulled. I made a lame attempt to make it into a 45 pick-up trailer. Put the bed bar on mine for a while, then sold it to you.

Finally got the winch mounted up. Still need to wire it, but that shouldn't take long, I think I've got some left-over cable and lugs from other projects.

Bought a u-weld kit from this guy and welded it up a few weeks ago.

IMG_20211221_122134864.jpg

IMG_20211221_140605709.jpg

Several weeks back, I decided to print a new solenoid cover as the one on the winch was cracked. We'll see how it holds up. I'm new to 3d printing, lots to learn. Red-tape on the W for a 'decal'...

IMG_20211109_105017360.jpg

Last edited:
I'd forgotten that I had tossed the original front bumper as it was mangled so bad and replaced it with a 55 bumper from one of my parts-55s. I also must have tossed the triangle gusset plates that bolt to the top of the frame as well. I ordered a set from CCOT, which came with hardware, but not OEM hardware and only the bolts for the tow-hooks and two smaller bolts that I'm not sure where they go, so didn't end up using any of the hardware.

IMG_20211216_114256258.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom