PSA: The New (Replacement) HF Jack Stands... Warning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw a video about that earlier today failing at the welded seam. Definitely considering buying something a little more...robust and reliable.

I can make my HF 6ton stands fail with hand pressure intermittently, but they are not the recalled model number.

Took off the large sticker on my 6tons to return, a smaller sticker on the neck also has the model number so they were rejected by HF.

(Reaching for goo-gone....)

Be safe, always use a second (bottle jack) AND third (wheel under frame) system for safety.

The failure at that welded seam is pretty much a product design failure, done simply for manufacturing ease. Those vertical welds tying the 2 stamped steel legs together - puts the welds under tensile stress - is a fundamental no-no. Stress on welds should always be placed under shear load along the length of the weld seam. If your jack-stands are made that way, you can easily reinforce that properly, if you have access to a welder. Just put a strap of 1 inch wide x 1/8" thick hot rolled steel (for example) across from one leg to the other, with horizontal weld seams. Easy,cheap - strong.

The US Jacks that @Kernal shows above are made that way from the factory. Medium thick steel rod tying the legs together down at the base, under tensile load as the legs try to straddle apart under load. Good simple robust design. The welds aren't even critical.
As for the column teeth being too small - hard to say, can't see them.

What I worry about with all(most) jack stands is the cast iron vertical column, when under side loading. Who knows what casting flaws might be inside? cast iron would fail suddenly by fracture - no warning. o_O I would much prefer ductile mild steel for the vertical, like rectangular HREW tubing, which bends quite a bit before total failure, giving very visible warning.

I can make my HF 6ton stands fail with hand pressure intermittently, but they are not the recalled model number.

Took off the large sticker on my 6tons to return, a smaller sticker on the neck also has the model number so they were rejected by HF.

(Reaching for goo-gone....)

Be safe, always use a second (bottle jack) AND third (wheel under frame) system for safety.

The Toyota LC factory service manual shows the use of jackstands plus a jack for safety. I always place a wheel or large wooden dunnage underneath when I can. I always want to ensure that if a jackstand fails, i'm not the first thing to catch it.

Interesting. They'll take any jack on that list back according to this. Tempting in principle. The question for me, though, is what would I replace my HF 12 tons with, that is both clearly better and still reasonably affordable? And would I not be better off to just weld on some -or a lot of- steel across the legs if I do become uncomfortable with the jacks to make them safer at much lower cost overall?

I am kinda in the same boat.

I like the minimum height of the 12ton stands as a good/safe(er) setting. My rig is not super heavy, but I don't know what the strength of those welds is since people already reported problems with them.
I was considering some better quality 6ton stands, or... get my money back and not get anymore stands since I don't know if I'll be doing anymore work on my car (my son is not interested in working on any car and my back is not interested in anything I do).

Other than suspension work (replacing shocks and springs) I don't see any reason for the jack stands in my case.

Oh!!! You guys and your nagging and worry-warting - NOW look what you've gone and made me do...and I was perfectly happy with my ridiculously huge HF 12 tonners bought on sale...like I needed a welding project? It's 97 friggin degrees around here at midnight!

HarborFreight12TonLegStraps.JPG

I have 1 pair of HF 12 tons I wish they had the locking pin like my other set from Torin.

I am thinking of returning them and getting these strongway ones with the pin. Torin no longer offers the 12 ton set with the locking pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom