Protective Clear Coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
image.jpg
I want to keep my Dune Beige FJ40 as is; I like the scars as they are and am not looking to put lipstick on my pig. The problem is, I live in Ohio and I am getting the start of some surface rust. The previous owner had touched up a few spots with POR15, and they are yellowing. I scraped most off with my fingernail, so I need something tough as nails and UV resistant. Any suggestions for a clear coat to protect it?

image.jpg

The proper way to patch these spots is to sand down to metal beyond the rust until you see clean sheet metal, then apply primer, then paint and clear coat.

78fj40mg is right, best thing to do it sand back to bare metal and repaint those areas. You may be able to use a single stage paint and blend the new paint into the old, paint match might be 95% but there wont be rust.

Last edited:
i forgot to mention in the original post that I want to seal/clear coat the entire car "as is". I don't mind seeing a piece of rust or scratch. I just want to encapsulate the body as a time machine. I'm not looking to strip and paint the whole car to make it look pretty; it is a 1977 and I want it to remain looking like an almost 40 year old car, just not deteriorate any further. Sorry for the original dumb question. Thanks.

I don't think clear coating your rig is worth it. You need to seal the rust and clear coat is just to thin, most likely flake off. Pigmented coating to touch up the rusted areas. Once the rust starts it keeps on going.

Might check some other forums.
Starting to see some antique cars that have done the very thing you are wanting. To preserve the patina, they don't restore to "new". Only question would be how well it would hold up to the elements. You can put the clear on as thick as you want but whether rust would return under it I'm not sure. Most of the antiques I've seen are protected after the cleanup. They also make some flat clears. I personally like base coat clear coat systems, but hate the shininess. Let us know what you end up with.

Any thoughts on Tremclad Clear?

I blasted and painted my frame with tremclad 20ish years ago and it has held up well (only a few small touch ups). 5 coats and almost a galon of paint may have helped.

I've seen some touch ups done that were unnoticible... Stopped the rust, but didn't loose the character and charm.

At GSMTR 2014 there was a 45LV that had been restored by ACC with clear coat over the barn patina. I don't know what they used, but it looked nice.

Let us know what you find out, please. Truck looks great!
I am in same boat with nicks and scars on original paint I wish to keep, in fact my body repairs will be painted to look crappy to match rest of truck :)

A coat to prevent further rust would be ideal..

i forgot to mention in the original post that I want to seal/clear coat the entire car "as is". I don't mind seeing a piece of rust or scratch. I just want to encapsulate the body as a time machine. I'm not looking to strip and paint the whole car to make it look pretty; it is a 1977 and I want it to remain looking like an almost 40 year old car, just not deteriorate any further. Sorry for the original dumb question. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom