LS Engine Swap / Front Driveline Clearance Issues With 4l60e Transmission Pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 Fj40 that is in its final stages of an LS Swap, 5.3, 4l60e. The engine is already pushed 1 1/2" to the driver side to help with driveshaft clearance. The only issue is the front driveline is still extremely close (1/4"). I used the high flange kit from advanced adapters and had a new driveshaft (2" tube) made. What would you recommend my best option be for more clearance?
Is there enough room in a 4l60e transmission pan to notch the bottom passenger corner side? Or should I have the driveline tube reduced to 1.5" or 1.75"? Or possibly do both of the above mentioned options to gain the most clearance?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Attached is a picture of how close the driveline is to the transmissions oil pan.

IMG_2257.jpg

I would look around on LS1 tech and see if there are different pan options for the 4L60E. They came in a lot of different vehicles, to include a few 4wd options there may be one that is slightly narrower and gives a little more clearance. If that is not an option I would see if the pan can be modified to have a C shape right there and give more room.

I have a 1970 Fj40 that is in its final stages of an LS Swap, 5.3, 4l60e. The engine is already pushed 1 1/2" to the driver side to help with driveshaft clearance. The only issue is the front driveline is still extremely close (1/4"). I used the high flange kit from advanced adapters and had a new driveshaft (2" tube) made. What would you recommend my best option be for more clearance?
Is there enough room in a 4l60e transmission pan to notch the bottom passenger corner side? Or should I have the driveline tube reduced to 1.5" or 1.75"? Or possibly do both of the above mentioned options to gain the most clearance?

Thank you in advance.
I had the same problem with my SBC and 700R4 Trans. I believe the 4160e and 700 R4 are sim. in build except yours is computer controlled. I modified the pan to get the clearance, see photos. There was plenty of room within the trans for what I did.

20220602_144844.jpg

20220602_170604.jpg

20220603_120332.jpg

early-mid 90's S10 pan is shallower overall. You will also need the matching filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom