Protecting spare tire

Visit site
Got a flat this weekend, that was so bad that it ripped open the tire. I then found out that the spare tire, which was mounted under the vehicle for the last 10+ years, was deflated. This caused the tire to separate from the rim, which allowed small gravel and pebbles to be wedged in between the rubber tire and the aluminum rim. I was able to remove most of this with a flathead screw driver and pliers, but did knock some of it inside the tire. After reinflating the tire, air continued to slowly leak out. I needed to use a portable pump to keep the air pressure up until I made it to a tire repair place.

In my other car, the tire is inside the trunk and protected from the elements. Does anyone have any advice on keeping the spare tire in good condition if you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to rarely use it?

52059B32-0B22-4AA9-B2DE-ED113EA37DBF.jpeg

9B808368-208F-4BF4-AB65-E858FB9AC3DE.jpeg

Visit site
Place inside of space is not an issue or pick up a bumper mounted swing-arm to mount instead. Although it seems most of the problem is from lack of PM. If you don't wheel it often and nothing too serious it should be fine down there.

Visit site
I've seen plenty of flat spares come from the inside of a car too. I like mine mounted on the swing out cause I can look at it and easily check the pressure on a regular basis.

Use your spare as stated above or at least inspect it regularly. Trying to cover it in some way under the truck is only going to trap more dirt and debris and make you forget to take a look at it. Tires need to have air added periodically (some more than others) since they are not 100% sealed. Most people forget that and just assume the spare will be fine when they need it even if it's sat for 5+ years. You should be replacing the spare after 7 years regardless of if it's been used or not.

Visit site
My advice is next time you get new tires get a new matching spare and everytime you do a tire rotation do a 5-tire rotation so your spare is always being used and put into the rotation.
This^^^^.
Why would you not rotate your spare in when rotating tires?
Every oil change there are a few basic maintenance items:
1) Blow out the air filter and check the hoses for cracks.
2) Check wheel bearings and TRE's via shaking the mounted wheel and tire
3) Rotate the tires, and while the tires are unmounted check your brake pads for even wear.
4) Lube your shaft
5) Grease your balls and
6) Check your nuts

ppc

M Go Blue
Visit site
FYI..

I realise the picture is of your flat tire, is only stored temporarily but it is upside down. Having the finished side of the wheel facing up will keep it in better condition away from the elements.

Howard705

TLCA 5505
SILVER Star
Visit site
ALL TIRES LEAK. Some more quickly than others. CHECK IT every few months. Leaving it flat for 5 years of course it will fall off rim- collect crap- rust - etc. California doesn't have elements. The Rust Belt has elements. 10 years it will dry rot etc. All tires do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom