pros and cons of 3/8 air couplers?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I read that some impact wrenches work better if you change out the 1/4 fitting for 3/8. I assume CFMs flow more readily. Maybe less friction loss and netting a few more psi? What are the disadvantages of buying 1/4 thread to 3/8 quick connect couplers along with 3/8 quick connectors? Will the 3/8 fitting negatively affect other tools ..or say hvlp gun?

Also what is your preference on tips? T, I/M etc and why?

One issue I see already is big box store availability of these fittings. Checking sears, lowes, and home depot seems like there is not a lot of kits available for these connectors. I'd like to get a large kit for starting out. Like at least 6 to 12 connectors and both female threaded and male threaded couplers. I bought the 5 piece kit from Home Depot but I'm realizing it is not enough to get started.

One issue I see already is big box store availability of these fittings. Checking sears, lowes, and home depot seems like there is not a lot of kits available for these connectors. I'd like to get a large kit for starting out. Like at least 6 to 12 connectors and both female threaded and male threaded couplers. I bought the 5 piece kit from Home Depot but I'm realizing it is not enough to get started.

How about on Amazon ?

well, increasing the size of the coupler will increase the flow rate for sure, everything else the same. However, the real question is whether the improvement will be significant or not. If you have a very long hose, for example, it may not make much difference overall. And you still have to deal with the size of the passages in the tool itself which may be more of a limiting factor. It will also be a function of how much air and pressure the tool needs and whether your compressor is ample or not for that. For instance, if you can safely increase the pressure a bit at the compressor regulator, it would have the same effect. So, if some of your critical tools are struggling and you have no other option, it may perhaps be worth it. If not, then probably not. Altogether, short of doing a test or calculations with your actual system, it's hard to tell if increasing the size would help in practice or not.

The inside diameter of the 3/8 connectors is the same size as the inside of the 1/4 threaded pipe. So it would be as if you just threaded your hose right onto your tool only you have the advantage of swiveling the tool/hose without leaks. This is about 2x the inside diameter of the 1/4 inch connector. air has to get through 2 of these..one at the connection to the compressor and one at the tool, I think it would increase flow to have the bigger bore, Maybe at the expense of a few psi?? My tools are rated for less CFMs @90 psi than my compressor is rated for @90. But rating are lies too sometimes. I guess the only way to know for sure is try it out. There no specs. in the owners manuals for the tools stating what size quick connect. Only that it requires 3/8 hose and at 25 feet or less for best performance.

Last edited:
Harbor Fright has tons of the 3/8ths
If you had a bucket with two 1/4' holes in and another with one 3/8ths hole drilled into it.
both buckets would both empty at the same time. Your only as good as the narrowest fitting from the tank to the tool.

Harbor Fright has tons of the 3/8ths
If you had a bucket with two 1/4' holes in and another with one 3/8ths hole drilled into it.
both buckets would both empty at the same time. Your only as good as the narrowest fitting from the tank to the tool.

I installed a 3/8 inch coupling at the compressor, a 3/8 inch fitting on the hose to go in it. Then 3/8 coupling at the other end of the hose and 3/8" fittings on my tools and accessories. No 1/4 hole to go through. More flow, less friction loss. So instead it's more like a bucket with two 1/4" holes compared to a bucket with two 3/8" holes. Volume will move faster through the 3/8" holes. Not sure how much more though.

You're going to apply more flow, and more flow results in more force. Different tools will benefit from different connections. You may have to play around with things.

I like to buy the largest diameter hoses I can and use different fittings for the tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom