Project Fubar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@MyWhiteSheep came by and helped me install a new a/c clutch today. Not a bad job really, and it’s nice not to have the bearing noise from the old clutch.

Was able to pull the bolts from the compressor and flip it up to work on it without disconnecting the lines. A standard oil filter wrench worked great to hold the clutch in place to loosen and tighten the bolt.
FC1214DB-FDB7-49E0-BE09-0BADC47DAA7B.jpeg

Old:
New:

Thanks for the advise guys. The only reason I was planning on doing the whole truck was due to the paint on the hood, fenders and roof being in rough shape. So if I don’t use liner I’ll have to figure out some other way to fix that portion of the body.
I just got a quote from Carquest over here by my place for the supplies needed to repaint mine in the same Dark Emerald Green....a little over $300 for sealer, paint, and clear coat for the whole truck. I know somebody that's itching to try out a new paint sprayer. All you gotta do is start sanding ;)

I just got a quote from Carquest over here by my place for the supplies needed to repaint mine in the same Dark Emerald Green....a little over $300 for sealer, paint, and clear coat for the whole truck. I know somebody that's itching to try out a new paint sprayer. All you gotta do is start sanding ;)
I’ll be in touch...

One of my radius arms isn’t sitting in the axle mount correctly. Looks like I may have a bent axle housing.

And then today while I was leaving work the starter crapped out.

With the luck I’m having with the rig lately I figured a title change was in order. 😂

And then today while I was leaving work the starter crapped out.
There is a starter rebuild kit available from Toyota. It's 3 separate item numbers. I can't find my notes on it anymore...sorry. I wanna say it totals around $45. Took about 5 minutes to install once the starter is removed. Just remember to disconnect the battery first or you'll weld the wrench to the Transmission dipstick tube like I did once!

There is a starter rebuild kit available from Toyota. It's 3 separate item numbers. I can't find my notes on it anymore...sorry. I wanna say it totals around $45. Took about 5 minutes to install once the starter is removed. Just remember to disconnect the battery first or you'll weld the wrench to the Transmission dipstick tube like I did once!
That’s the current plan. I installed the current rebuilt denso back in 2017. Hopefully when I rebuild it with oem parts it’ll last longer.

*Parts on order for the starter, along with a new pump for my windshield washer since it decided to start leaking a few days ago.

Last edited:
Are you talking about your front or rear axle?

i have a rear axle complete. Not locked
I will Sell you if you need a rear axle.
I just sold my front axle so don’t have that one anymore.

Are you talking about your front or rear axle?

i have a rear axle complete. Not locked
I will Sell you if you need a rear axle.
I just sold my front axle so don’t have that one anymore.
Front axle. Initially I thought it was just worn out bushings, but it’s still doing it with new bushings.

I already swapped radius arms from side to side to see if I had a bent arm. No dice.

650EF1B8-ACB8-4408-8326-8D9678005BD1.jpeg

When did you jump the truck? :lol:

If your axle was bent that bad, it'd show up on an alignment chart. Take it to a shop and get the numbers off a hunter. If the camber is off on one side, or both, your axle may be bent. If not, your problem lay elsewhere.

$80 for an alignment is pretty cheap for a test to rule out or confirm your issue.

When did you jump the truck? :lol:

If your axle was bent that bad, it'd show up on an alignment chart. Take it to a shop and get the numbers off a hunter. If the camber is off on one side, or both, your axle may be bent. If not, your problem lay elsewhere.

$80 for an alignment is pretty cheap for a test to rule out or confirm your issue.
I wish I could take credit for it but I haven’t don’t anything that fun since I’ve owned it.

I recall it having a bent tie rod when I bought it which makes me lean toward a collision somewhere in it’s past.

I’m going to start with an alignment and go from there. I hope it’s something simple but that’s not usually my kind of luck.

Well if the axle is bent, it's not bent by much.
Yup. One thing I forgot to mention, I was looking at the alignment screen and it showed the DS caster at +3 and the PS caster at +1.

Not sure why the readout is showing different.

Yup. One thing I forgot to mention, I was looking at the alignment screen and it showed the DS caster at +3 and the PS caster at +1.

Not sure why the readout is showing different.
Caster can be affected by spring height, bushing compression, etc. Think of it this way...if you add longer springs, caster is diminished. The least bit of drivers side ‘cruiser lean can add a degree or two of caster to the driver’s side because the spring height is effectively shorter.

Caster can be affected by spring height, bushing compression, etc. Think of it this way...if you add longer springs, caster is diminished. The least bit of drivers side ‘cruiser lean can add a degree or two of caster to the driver’s side because the spring height is effectively shorter.
Makes sense. I was just surprised to see that much of a variation.

While digging around on mud I ran across this:
A872B348-DB0D-406A-B2EE-85C69612FB51.jpeg

This is exactly what happened to my passenger side inner shaft recently. I also struggled to get the new shaft in when I replaced it.

I’m hoping for an simple fix that I’m overlooking but I can’t figure out what else could cause both of these issues other then a slightly bent housing.

If anyone more experienced then me has any ideas I’d love to hear them.

I follow your logic and agree with it. Wearing the splines out on an inner axle shaft is extremely abnormal.

If I knew anyone with an alignment bar I'd say you could test that way. In any case, start shopping for a new housing

I follow your logic and agree with it. Wearing the splines out on an inner axle shaft is extremely abnormal.

If I knew anyone with an alignment bar I'd say you could test that way. In any case, start shopping for a new housing
I was hoping you would disagree with me. :lol:

I was hoping you would disagree with me. :lol:
After talking last night I figured that it would be very apparent on the alignment chart. I was disappointed when I saw the chart and there was no smoking gun, lol.

Try using a straight edge or something to see if it's not straight. Would be hard to establish a reference though. I can not think of anything else that would cause axle splines to wear off other than misalignment, which means bent axle housing.

To me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom