Builds Project "Devil Frog" - Isaac's '69 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the new down pipe tacked up. It will go to my buddy for TIG finish welding.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441763228.580954.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441763242.603995.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441763255.543744.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441763281.544886.jpg

:smokin:

Oil drained installed. It is an AN10 hose. On the pan side I tapped with a 3/8 NPT to AN10 fitting. Used grease on the drill and tap to prevent shavings from getting into the oil pan.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442074230.916662.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442074245.319602.jpg

Despite the grease on the tap, I'd still change the oil before running the engine. No one wants metal shavings in the oil galleys!

Sensors:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443837258.323080.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443837273.913001.jpg

On the thermostat housing: top-radiator fan temp switch, bottom right-autometer gauge water temp sender, bottom right- oem water temp sensor (used by Megasquirt for warm up enrichment)

Intake- cold start injector eliminated and replaced by air temp sensor used by Megasquirt in conjunction with MAP sensor (onboard ECU)

Hey Isaac, how did you adapt the cold start injector port for the IAT sensor? I really like that idea. I currently run mine in the intake hose, pre-throttle body. Any other updates?

:beer: Ramon

Hey Isaac, how did you adapt the cold start injector port for the IAT sensor? I really like that idea. I currently run mine in the intake hose, pre-throttle body. Any other updates?

:beer: Ramon

I tapped the intake with a 3/4" NPT and used a plug for the EGR and adapter in the CSI hole for the GM IAT. I have recently been trying to get my cooling plumbing and accessory drive in order. I am having to fab up a bracket for the York compressor.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450095785.250250.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450095857.135871.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450095870.025640.jpg

Any progress Isaac? I found I was running my fuel pressure about 8PSI low. Not a huge difference, but a bit better idle. Think I'm going to try semi-sequential injection next. Been getting a bit more seat time and using the MegaLog Viewer "VE Analyzer" to dial in the VE tables some.

Any progress Isaac? I found I was running my fuel pressure about 8PSI low. Not a huge difference, but a bit better idle. Think I'm going to try semi-sequential injection next. Been getting a bit more seat time and using the MegaLog Viewer "VE Analyzer" to dial in the VE tables some.

Not much lately. I have been slammed lately with my full time job, part time job, family life, selling our home, designing a new home, and other hobbies like hunting. Plus I need some parts to move forward. I am trying to finish up the accessory drive and coolant plumbing. Beno found some of the parts I need, but are they are on back ordered. The alternator tensioner is discontinued, and the one I had seized up and broke. I also need to wire in FJ62 chassis and engine harnesses. I am hoping to fire her up in the next few months.

I would definitely appreciate it if you could share your ignition and VE tables

For some reason, forum is "encountering a problem" with my attachments. I'll try again later.

Just sent you my .msq via email

I tapped the intake with a 3/4" NPT and used a plug for the EGR and adapter in the CSI hole for the GM IAT. I have recently been trying to get my cooling plumbing and accessory drive in order. I am having to fab up a bracket for the York compressor.

I'm thinking of moving my IAT like you have your's - do you have a link for the adapter used? Also, had any time to work on her any lately?

I'm thinking of moving my IAT like you have your's - do you have a link for the adapter used? Also, had any time to work on her any lately?

here is a link for the adapter:

PRE-67312BLK 3/4" NPT to 3/8" NPT Pipe Thread Reducer Bushing Fitting Black USA

We just sold our home and will be moving into a rental for about a year until our new home is built. The new house will have a 1200 sq ft detached workshop, so I will finally have some dedicated space to finish this thing up and for future projects. In the meantime I have been trying to get as many loose pieces attached to the Land Cruisers as I can for the move. I got the roll cage bolted down, and welded in the sliders for the driver seat and got the hardtop on. The York compressor bracket is done and it is on the engine along with the radiator. I also got the hoses I needed from Beno and those are on too.

Thanks Isaac. I'm giddy to see what this 2fe will do on the fan! It's in my long term wishlist and if it pans out the way we think it will, it might really be a kick in my pants.

image.jpeg
The latest

Hope you don't mind me sharing. I wound up having the cold start injector boss machined down and tapping for the sensor inside the casting. I think this might get a little better reading than how deep you can get the sensor with the adapter. Not sure if it will really matter, but I had to take it to the machine shop either way, since I didn't feel like spending the money on a 3/4NPT tap that'd I'd probably never use again. Hope you are finding some time to work on your project! I'm in the middle of a rewire eliminating the DIYAutotune relay board.
IMG_0576.JPG

Hope you don't mind me sharing. I wound up having the cold start injector boss machined down and tapping for the sensor inside the casting. I think this might get a little better reading than how deep you can get the sensor with the adapter. Not sure if it will really matter, but I had to take it to the machine shop either way, since I didn't feel like spending the money on a 3/4NPT tap that'd I'd probably never use again. Hope you are finding some time to work on your project! I'm in the middle of a rewire eliminating the DIYAutotune relay board.View attachment 1226597

That will work!

Also FYI, a few MS tuners I have talked to have mentioned that when you put your IAT directly on the intake, you need to program the ECU to ignore it for a few seconds after initial start up. This is due to after restarting an engine that has warmed up, the intake manifold is much warmer than the air and will heat soak the sensor, which will tell the ECU that the air is much warmer
(and less dense) than it actually is, causing a lean condition until enough air flow causes the cools the sensor. Here is some more info: Megasquirt Support Forum (MSEXTRA) • Lean after warm restart? (View topic)

I moved the FJ40 to a house we are renting for a year while we build the new place, right now I am not sure if I will have time and don't currently have room to work on it. The garage is overflowing with boxes, but I plan to start moving some to the attic soon. The good news is in less than a year I will have a dedicated 1200 sq/ft workshop. Here is a conceptual I just got from our architect:

PSX_20160315_230621.jpg

open

That's going to be an awesome setup. I moved last fall and had intentions of building a shop, but got really bad news that a good portion of my lot can't be built on due to a "streetscape buffer" - we are in a culdesac and back up to a 4 lane road. I'm having to circle back and rethink things. Thanks for that MS Forum link, I'll have to give it a good read!

I noticed you used the straight pitman arm. Did you need to notch the frame to clear the rod nut?
Also is your high steer kit from Sky also?

No, I didn't have to notch the frame, but it is very tight. The rods were custom length from Marlin. Steering arms were the FJ80 style from Luke at 4x4Labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom