Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40 - Help Needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40

Well to cut the story short, I have landed myself an FJ40 project that a friend of mine had started but had to sell off. The original plan was to go for a 1FZ engine transplant onto a 1984 FJ40 chassis but owing to cost considerations I opted for the much cheaper 1UZ engine. The plan is to ideally run 35 inch tires on 4.1 diffs with lockers and 4 wheel disc brakes out of a 70 series. All of the above parts are now at hand. The question I find myself struggling with is which transmission to go for.

The 1UZ engine came with a cheap A341E transmission, I believe out of a LS400/Celsior. I also have an H151F manual transmission at hand which I can possibly swap for the A440F or possibly the A750F transmissions quite easily. The adapter plates and coupling is not really an issue out here and my main concern is compatability and driveability. The vehicle would see its fair share of highway driving but has to remain capable offroad. So here is the current dilemma:

1. Is it advisable to mate the A341E trans with the transfer case off the A440F? If so, would the resulting gear ratios be inadequate for the 35s? Would this work well with 31s which probably is a better choice for the 1UZ afterall?

2. Would it be best to just adapt the H151F transmission onto the 1UZ? If so which clutch and pressure plates would be best suited here?

Anyways, thanks for the interest and help. BTW I am located in Rawalpindi, Pakistan and this is essentially my first post on mud so please go lightly on the flaming! Will try and post some pics to keep it lively and real.

Cheers,
SK

Last edited:
Some pics....

The smokin' FJ body....
file.php

The rear diff:
file.php

A view of the frame:
file.php

The proposed engine:
file.php

What I understand is the LS gear (A341E!?):
file.php

Welcome to Mud. :flipoff2: Dude you got e lockers in the rear!!! I hope that you have the wire harness for them as well. While wiring the harness isn't hard it would be one less thing to do if you already have it.

In order to answer your question correctly re: transmission choice what are your plans for the rig, daily driver on city streets,or mostly driven on the highway with some occasional light off road. Mixed use warrior, on the road all week and off road every weekend, or mostly off road with occasional driving on the black top. Once you decide this then the question of tires and gearing and what transmission it makes sense to run becoames much more clear. Again, welcome to Mud.

Welcome to Mud. ************ Dude you got e lockers in the rear!!! I hope that you have the wire harness for them as well. While wiring the harness isn't hard it would be one less thing to do if you already have it.

In order to answer your question correctly re: transmission choice what are your plans for the rig, daily driver on city streets,or mostly driven on the highway with some occasional light off road. Mixed use warrior, on the road all week and off road every weekend, or mostly off road with occasional driving on the black top. Once you decide this then the question of tires and gearing and what transmission it makes sense to run becoames much more clear. Again, welcome to Mud.

Many thanks. I think "Mixed use warrior, on the road all week and off road every weekend" describes it best. At this stage the gearing is the trickiest thing to change. The 35 inch tires are what I wish to run and they are also convenient (have these at hand) and also perhaps somewhat necessary to keep all that power under control.

The e-locker harness should not be an issue but thanks for pointing that out. Very helpful.

Nice doors! you've got the 1 piece door with vent window.

looking at the trans, length appears to be an issue, you don't have the transfer case added to the length yet. You need to have enough room for the rear driveshaft.

Yes length is an issue that I am trying to ignore for now...hopefully be able to stretch it to get a decent angle if required.

Any views on whether the A341 would sustain running 31inch tires with 4.1 TLC70 diffs for a reasonable period? Apart from te transfer case, is the A341E fundamentally different from the A343F that is found in some TLCs and Prados?

We tried to match the housing from the H151F transmission (off a 100 series TLC) with the 1UZ engine, but it did not bolt on (I had read somehwere on one of the 1UZ threads that it would so I am a bit confused...probably missing something but hopefully will figure this out soon).

Looking to fab an adapter plate for the 1UZ's A341e housing to bolt onto the H151F. The H151F flywheel and pressure plate are too big for the A341e housing.

My mechanic is recommending using the flywheel from a 3L (2.8L diesel Hilux/Toyota Truck) with the pressure plate from the 1KZ diesel (3.0L turbodiesel engine in TLC prado and 4Runners/Surfs). Hopefully the flywheel/clutchplate combo will work otherwise will try something else.

Speaking from my own subjective point of view, go for the H151, I wouldn't even bother with slushbox nonsense, especially considering the drivetrain length issues, a 5-speed will help keep that under control.

Update

Just to reiterate and clarify, this build is in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.....The Toyota made it out of the body shop to the mechanic shop and work on coupling the Engine and gear was ongoing. We are using the housing from the 1UZ engine along with a custom adapter plate to mate the housing to the H151F transmission. Filling the spaces in between are a flywheel from a 3L diesel and the clutch and pressure plates from a 1KZ. Some pics below:

The pressure plate and the flywheel on the engine....
file.php

The flywheel and the pressure plate....
file.php

1UZ vs 1FZ / 1HD / H151F housing:
file.php

The H151F transmission, I believe...
file.php

The cruiser, with remnants of my abandoned 35 ambitions...
file.php

Last edited:
Speaking from my own subjective point of view, go for the H151, I wouldn't even bother with slushbox nonsense, especially considering the drivetrain length issues, a 5-speed will help keep that under control.

We did decide to stick to the H151 as it seemed to be a much safer bet as you said. Still not sure how well the whole thig will drive bigger tires but we'll see how things go! Thanks!

Adapter Plate Pics !

We got around to fabricating the adapter plate to mate the H151F to the 1UZ housing....The plate looks mean with the raw edges but hopefully will do the job.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

The two mechanics and the lathe guy discussing clutch issues....

file.php

Mock up day!

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Some things closer than I would like, but all appears to be sitting together well at this stage. Touch Wood. BTW thats the only part out of the box as yet it seems :)

file.php

Absolutely beautiful!! Keep up the awesome work - the pictures are amazing!!!

Truly inspiring - I'll be checking back daily for progress updates!!

You've made some serious progress, great job!
That adapter's a really nice piece of hardware, I'm very impressed with the workmanship, especially for a hand-cut piece!

also, RE: post 15, picture #3, I think I just drooled on myself...

The front and rear e-lockers are awesome....gotta land me a pair of those!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom