Builds Project 2027: 1977 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well... The high of having just finished my 40 has quickly turned into a very deep low. While driving to and from a couple of shops to have my A/C charged, get an alignment, and Texas safety inspection I developed a nasty “rumble” and vibration, which got worse the faster I went (never over 45mph). Anyways, this morning I went to searching for the problem. Found it...😩😢

6FF1652F-9DBB-4D2F-97AB-2DCD9D000F65.jpeg
75CEDFAD-2D75-47B5-A5AA-04252523A295.jpeg

This is the drain plug from the transfer case. It’s friggin ugly, especially considering all that metal was produced in less than 18 miles. Can you guess who will be calling @orangefj45 today and dropping $$$?

Super disappointed to say the least.

Well... The high of having just finished my 40 has quickly turned into a very deep low. While driving to and from a couple of shops to have my A/C charged, get an alignment, and Texas safety inspection I developed a nasty “rumble” and vibration, which got worse the faster I went (never over 45mph). Anyways, this morning I went to searching for the problem. Found it...😩😢

View attachment 2645208View attachment 2645209

This is the drain plug from the transfer case. It’s friggin ugly, especially considering all that metal was produced in less than 18 miles. Can you guess who will be calling @orangefj45 today and dropping $$$?

Super disappointed to say the least.
That really sucks. Might want to go with an orion if you can. Its not too much more over a fresh rebuilt case. The low gearing makes anything offroad you do a lot nicer and its easier on components.

Man that sucks. But the good news is, that anything can be fixed when it comes to cruisers.
Feel free to reach out, we’ll be happy to help.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids
Shop 209-475-8808

One word of mandatory advice for anyone who buys a Aqualu tub.

Learn from my idiocy! DO NOT use the supplied aluminum tranny cover! Modify the original Toyota tranny cover to fit so you don’t have to partially pull the engine to remove either the T-Case or transmission.

There... My good deed for the day.

I still have my original cover so I can refinish it, and I will be cutting to enlarge my Aqualu tub opening to fit it versus dinking with the engine.
404C963C-F54B-4168-BC7A-C2C5D6C25384.jpeg

Toyota made the opening the size they did for a reason. You can see the outline of the original cover versus the Aqualu cover. Don’t be dumb like me.

Keeping in theme with my entire build motto for the last few years of one step forward, two back. Here’s to finishing the build strong with a jaunt of at least 20-30 steps back. For size reference that is the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

693C0A68-EB91-4434-B4E0-82A0DFEDBD78.jpeg
ADBC9803-D16C-4217-8363-78F0909FA70A.jpeg

I still haven’t gotten the t-case pulled but I ran a magnet thru the gear oil I drained last night. Whatever came apart inside, did so in apocalyptic fashion. Not just shavings but actual chucks around 8mm big.

Last edited:
Keeping in theme with my entire build motto for the last few years of one step forward, two back. Here’s to finishing the build strong with a jaunt of at least 20-30 steps back. For size reference that is the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

View attachment 2646107View attachment 2646108

I still haven’t gotten the t-case pulled but I ran a magnet thru the gear oil I drained last night. Whatever came apart inside, did so in apocalyptic fashion. Not just shavings but actual chucks around 8mm big.
Where did you get your oval grommet on the bottom of the pic? Also, you can touch up the bedliner with a small paint brush if it gets messed up cutting the floor. It actually works pretty well.

Where did you get your oval grommet on the bottom of the pic? Also, you can touch up the bedliner with a small paint brush if it gets messed up cutting the floor. It actually works pretty well.
I actually covered the floor with a bunch of painters tape to protect the bedliner. It works remarkably well. I got the oval fuel line grommet from Cruiser Corp and I know SOR has them as well. They are a royal PITA to install because the aluminum is so thick but it’s doable.

That really sucks, was it a specific moment or did it start gradually?
It was a sudden onset and got worse getting it the 3ish miles home. Hindsight being what it is, I should have stopped and had it towed but honestly I wasn’t even sure it was the t-case at the time.

Try to use your stock tubs Trans tunnel on your aqualu. It will take some extra fabrication and work but will be worth the effort in my opinion. The aqualu tunnel is bulky.
@White Stripe now that I’m switching back to the original trans tunnel I was thinking you showed me a picture of yours being fabricated. Any chance my memory serves me correctly and you still have that picture? I’d love to see it for reference.

@White Stripe now that I’m switching back to the original trans tunnel I was thinking you showed me a picture of yours being fabricated. Any chance my memory serves me correctly and you still have that picture? I’d love to see it for reference.
Pretty sure I have some pics in my build thread during the tub installation.

Here it is...

Pulled the t-case and opened it up. There is zero gear wear or damage. Bearings, hard to tell because they’re pressed in but it’s got to be a bad bearing, at least you’d think. If you remember, the t-case did have a fall during the rebuild and it dinging up one of the t-case to transmission bolt holes. I opened up the case and didn’t see any obvious damage but if I were a betting man, that was the cause of whatever failed.

DD903A06-10E3-42F4-901C-A4EB60320CC8.jpeg
6780CFE1-4C33-48C7-B91C-78FBEC5B85DB.jpeg
74EB1BBB-3C8F-458D-B697-6F933D7FD26C.jpeg

Anyways, talked with @orangefj45 about options, built myself a wooden crate out of 3/4” ply wood and 2x4’s I had laying around and shipped (95lbs total weight) the case out to Valley Hybrid today. Georg said he’ll open it up and see what we’re dealing with. Not exactly sure of the route Moving forward but these are the following options we discussed:

1. Rebuild the original case if possible. Not sure that’s really what I want to do because there is some case damage.
2. Purchase a fresh rebuilt “new” case that Georg has or...
3. Spend many many shiny coins on an Orion case.

Option 3 will take approximately twice the coins of Option 2, and a little over three times the coins of Option 1.

So here’s the deal... I don’t plan on wheeling this thing hard, but I also don’t know what future shenanigans I may find myself doing. I love to wheel. Having the option to gear way down has a lot of intrigue for me. If going slow is good, going 2x slower is twice the fun, RIGHT?!?!

I’m interested in the voice of the people. Pros versus Cons of each option? Things to consider? Any personal experiences of the Orion case? It seems they have the popping out of gear issue sorted now. Anything else I should be made aware of?

I don’t think you can go wrong, you’re sending it to the right place. If he says he can fix it trust it will be right, if it’s too far gone go option 2. Orion is just a want ... if you want one now is certainly the time 😉. Stupid low is pretty cool tho :grinpimp:

Tucker

I don’t think you can go wrong, you’re sending it to the right place. If he says he can fix it trust it will be right, if it’s too far gone go option 2. Orion is just a want ... if you want one now is certainly the time 😉. Stupid low is pretty cool tho :grinpimp:

Tucker
That my friend is the conundrum. Don’t really need an Orion now but now is the time to make the leap if my future endeavors dictate an upgrade. Why spend the money twice?

Decisions... Decisions...

I personally think the orion is worth it. The gearing makes it much easier to keep control offroad. Even if you only do mild trails here n their the orion will make it much more enjoyable. I've noticed no extra noise from it. If your just going to get ice cream in town with it, I would just rebuild the stock case. If your really going to drive it and use it, I would put an orion in it. Or put a split case in with the 4:1 gears. The split case is a quieter tcase overall and smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom